Ultravox UK Singles Rate 1977-1987 (ULTRAVOX NUMBER 1 REVEALED) | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultravox UK Singles Rate 1977-1987 (ULTRAVOX NUMBER 1 REVEALED)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by simes1970, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Next Five up are Lament, Love's Great Adventure, Same Old Story, All Fall Down and All In One Day

Eric Generic and Hairycub1969 like this.
  2. I shall add John Foxx and Midge Ure solo tracks by Wednesday

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  3. John Foxx 80-85 Tracks up for rate First 5 are New Kind Of Man, Underpass, No One Driving, Burning Car & Miles Away

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  4. Next 5 are Europe After The Rain, Dancing Like A Gun, Endlessly, Your Dress, Like A Miracle

5. The final two Enter The Angel Stars On Fire

6. Next Up Midge Ure 82-91 First 5 tracks up for rate are No Regrets, After A Fashion, That Certain Smile, If I Was, Call Of The Wild

7. The final 5 are Wastelands, Answers To Nothing, Dear God, Cold Cold Heart and I See Hope In Morning Light.

8. Those are all the tracks up for the vote. As the Foxx/Ure tracks are an add both these artists can have 1 12 pointer 1 11pointer and the rest between 10-0.5. Next I shall look at the tracks for all that charted, and their chart runs, starting tomorrow.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  9. [​IMG]
    Let us start things of with Young Savage. This track didn't chart here in the UK. Song is full of energy and sort of stuck between punk & new wave. Very strong single to start of Ultravox's singles run.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  10. [​IMG]
    Next we look at another non charter Dangerous Rhythm backed with B-Side My Sex.
    Dangerous Rhythm has a totally different feel to Young Savage, very much reggae tinged with synth and guitar. I love this track one of the best the band has done in either incarnation.Now My Sex I am sorry to say doesn't appeal to me at all. I understand the track it just doesn't move me. The elements don't work. It is by no means a bad track but not one I go back to listen.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  11. [​IMG]
    Rockwrok is another example of new wave clashing with punk to great effect.But that brings us to the opposite side and if Hiroshima Mon Amour is classed as a B-Side, it is one of the greatest of all time.You can see where John Foxx was heading with this track before his solo outings. Touch Roxy Music much more synth usage just superb.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Hairycub1969 likes this.
  12. [​IMG]
    A one of single given away with Ha! Ha! Ha! first 10,000 copies. Very punky this one and quick. Too short to almost form an opinion on. I do like this short track.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  13. [​IMG]
    Once more back to the more synthy side of things. Perhaps the precursor to the Midge Ure years this is an excellent track.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  14. [​IMG]
    Date entered chart 280381 35-33-40-61 4 weeks on chart.

The only Ultravox track as part of an EP of earlier material to dent the Top 40 after success with Midge Ure, this is another powerful synth based track which shows which direction the band were heading in. Foxx's Ultravox deserved alot more success singles wise than they got. But this was a good way to get recent convertees to the band to delve into the back catalogue .

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  15. [​IMG]
    Sleepwalk Entered chart 05/07/80 74-63-49-39-34-33-29-31-29-30-55 Peak 29 11 weeks on chart.
    This track heralds Midge Ure first chart entry with the band as main vocalist. Now transferring to mainly synth based music this track goes along at a fair old pace.There are layers to this track which I was only able to pick upon when listening through headphones. Great song to start the Midge era.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  16. [​IMG]
    Passing Strangers entered chart 18/10/80 66-59-57-64 Peak 57.
    Although just 10 at the time I never understood why this didn't go Top 40. Stronger for me than Sleepwalk slightly darker overtones for this track which makes it all the better.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  17. [​IMG]
    Vienna Entered Chart 17/01/81 52-16-6-3-2-2-2-2-4-7-16-22-43-57 Peak 2 14 weeks
    The start of 14 consecutive Top 40 singles for Ultravox. Not alot to be said about this one , a pure classic at the time and nothing has changed in the following 36 years since it hit the chart. Brooding synths a great video. Atmospheric to say the least.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  18. [​IMG]
    All Stood Still Entered Chart 06/06/81 46-17-9-8-11-20-24-37-65-73 Peak 8 10 weeks on chart
    Following Vienna was always going to be a tough act to follow. To me this is possibly the closest single wise Ure's Ultravox came to Foxx's version. It has something that something, fast based synths, Midge's vocals another steady entry into the catalogue.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  19. My scores are in. I have popped my rate cherry.

Difficult to know how controversial it'll be, but I have covered the spectrum of available scores...

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  20. That was quick - hope your scores aren't too "premature" - I'm currently playing around with my scores...until I've reached a satisfied conclusion!

Eric Generic likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.