Underrated Queens of K-Pop: The Rate [The FLOPNALE - Winner Revealed] | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Underrated Queens of K-Pop: The Rate [The FLOPNALE - Winner Revealed]

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Can we consider PopJustice user D is for Danger!'s scores null and void?

2. Tinkerbell is somewhere in my top 3... kiiiiiiiiii.

3. My poor #9. As the flirty Siri voice at the start says... "I love it." Not enough to rate it any higher though.

To be honest, in this heat the only casualties for me will be any of my top 5.

4. CLC is the only group that doesn't have a single song I think is good, which is baffling since they're not even from a nugu label like many of these others.

5. It's not my fault their music has 0 appeal to me. I also can't forgive DSP for butchering Somin's face with a botched nose job. She went from a Hara level beauty to Bom levels of PS disaster.

6. Ladies & Gentleman,
    your three exits are at the front, side and here...

17th

[​IMG]

WANNA.B
    Why?

Average Rank: 14.5

Highest Rank: 6th ( @vikeyeol )
    Lowest Rank: 20th ( @Reboot )

Why? Is a question a few people here have asked of this group usually followed by the words ‘bother’, ‘try’ or ‘would I want to listen to this’. Ouch, but oop dere' it is - Wanna.B lose their most recent, and arguably least impactful, single.

For those unable to source a wiki-page on these girls to find out more (that’s because they don’t have one kii), they are a seven girl group from an entertainment company known as Zenith and have already lost four girls since debut. Going well then. One of them is Minah from Girl’s Day’s elder sister, let’s call her Solange Knowles, and my bias is the blonde Jimin-bobbed lead rapper and singer Siyoung, who can be found looking derpy below.

[​IMG]

This song/video finally managed to nab them some Attention (now available on MeLon), but alas for all the wrong reasons. The sets are awkwardly similar, i.e. the same, as the much more lauded girl-group MAMAMOO’s Um Oh Ah Yeh but thankfully WANNA.B ditched the rainbow box toilet cubicles and the drag king prosthetics. You’ll also notice a running pattern of latex emergency services garb in their videos, I bet you weren’t expecting the stethoscope lab coat-meets-swimsuit look two minutes in…

[​IMG]

Let’s get @ryan_riot92’s input: “If find this track so simple and catchy. The chorus is a bit lacking but the “Waeyo waeyo” parts make up for it. The raps are not that good in this one. It’s almost like one of those 2014 Brave Brothers reject tracks.” I thought it was “Whale Whale” personally for some aquatic mammal realness…

16th

[​IMG]

WANNA.B
    My Type

Average Rank: 13

Highest Rank: 2nd ( @vikeyeol )
    Lowest Rank: 20th x 2 ( @Squashua , @junglefish )

If you WANNA.B my winner, you probably would do better not to have two songs get voted out back-to-back ladies. We’re treated to another double-whammy 1-2 punch this time in the toned latex clad stomachs of WANNA.B. My Type was their pre-debut song and features about 14% of the current line-up doing an electro-pop number in, you guessed it, black latex.

[​IMG]

There’s not much to say really. Watch, listen and you may, like me, be struck with the feeling you’ve experienced this all before. Not a bad song, true, but very of its time, heady with the fumes of generic and done effortlessly better by many acts before, during and since. Heck, there’s a good couple handfuls of electro-pop bangers in this rate alone – do we need another one? Here’s the one place @ryan_riot92 and I cross swords (or should that be glow-sticks?): “This is WANNA.B’s superior track. They haven’t been able to top this blessing! The electro style is what makes it so perfect for me. This was when they only had like 4 members too. Adding more kind of ruined what they had in my opinion.” To that I say:

[​IMG]

Third reveal's a charm, they say...

15th

[​IMG]

WANNA.B
    Hands Up

Average: 12.2

Highest Rank: 3rd ( @vikeyeol )
    Lowest Rank: 19th ( @Reboot )

Oh. Oops. And it’s a three strike turkey for the lasses of Wanna.B, with vikeyeol & Reboot reclaiming their positions as the Glinda and the Wicked Witch of the Far East for this Heat. This song followed up their first proper single release Attention in 2015 and went with an actually quite unique concept of SWAT team bedroom fantasy. There’s aerobic activity, shadow puppetry, matrix bullet dodging, the works – all very exciting no?

[​IMG]

I personally think this has a whip-crack of a chorus and the gung-ho audacity of the visuals is something to behold. Y’all didn’t really agree with me and I can only assume it meant you served a minor jail sentence as a teenager. Don’t take it out on the Korean SWAT-hearts please. @ryan_riot92 noticed the last emergency service spending cuts: “When you could tell the group was losing their budget for their videos… My least favorite track of theirs. Not as impactful as the other tracks of theirs but the “Hands Up” and the “Sondeureo” bits are great though.”

Well well well, another one bites the dust, KO, SONDEUREO

[​IMG]

HEAT 1 STANDINGS
    Stars represent no. of songs still in

APRIL ***
    CLC **

OH! MY GIRL *****
    SONAMOO ***

WANNA.B *

7. YAAAAAASSS eliminate these turds of songs. Glad to see my 20th, 19th and 14th songs exit! (I suddenly feel mean typing that but what else is knew)

Excellent write-ups @Squashua! Also, did you make these gifs yourself? Because they are amazing. Perched for the next reaping. Kii.

I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_ didn't see that another set of eliminations already took place. My condolences to WANNA.B. I hope they get at least one spot in the Top 9.

8. This is going extremely well. I'm glad I'm the lowest ranker for a lot of these WANNA.B songs.

9. I tried to make some but they came out worse than these singles' chart positions. So the gifs are sourced but the opening 5 strip photo and video screenshots are from my photobucket.

Not sure when I'll get another one done today (probs late tonight) but there's just two more updates to go for this heat. Any ideas which 5 songs haven't made it?

Slice of Life likes this.
  10. Great job nonetheless.

For the next eliminations, I'm hoping maybe Sonamoo and maybe an April track? I'm sorry, Based Sawori!!!

11. Not sure about the next eliminations but I'm pretty sure neither CLC nor WANNA.B will be in the Top 9. I also think if one OH MY GIRL song isn't going through to the finale, it's either gonna be A-ing (which I love) or Cupid.

12. I'll be shocked if "Closer" doesn't win this Heat to be honest.

13. Ok, so disaster struck and I did not get a chance to submit my scores for Heats 1 and 2, despite finishing them, and heat 3 went unranked. Is it ok to continue and rank Heats 4, 5, and 6, or am I out for good?

14. Ah I'm sorry @ThighHighs I didn't realise! Of course you can still rank, feel free to send any and/or all of 4, 5 & 6 in. I might even be able to sneak your Heat 2 rate in considering I've not revealed any results of that yet... PLOT TWIST.

ThighHighs likes this.

15. 14th

[​IMG]

CLC
    Pepe

Average Rank: 11.6

Highest Rank: 2nd ( @ajmkv )
    Lowest Rank: 19th ( @vikeyeol )

Sometimes naming your first single after your Mexican luchador sugar daddy doesn't bring you the dollar you desire. So be the lesson learned from CLC's Pepe and its exit here at 14th. This marked the start of CrystaL Clear and sent a message of cheerleader power pre-Cheer Up but post-Heart Attack and Oh!. Sadly the black uniforms are not to fun-loving Korean tastes and it performed about 100 places worse than those three examples - no cartwheeling and pom-poms at the funeral Stacy!

[​IMG]

We'll start with a @ryan_riot92 's Comparison Corner kids: "Such a “Whatchya Doin’ Today” knock off… and I LOVE “Whatchya Doin’ Today”. This is just pales in comparison." And he is somewhat correct, this is all very Whatchya Doin' Today via a Nike commercial. Is part of Cube's relative failure to make CLC happen so far lack in their originality or perhaps in the slightly less engaging or distinctive personalities of the members? There's certainly no HyunA twerking disdainfully in the corner, no Ji-yoon crotch-thrusting with her pants down in the loos spitting, no Ji-Hyun doing fuck all despite being leader. It's a ponderous thing girl group-dom.

[​IMG]

This song is cute, yes it is. It has a nice catchy refrain, it's got a nice dance routine, the rapping isn't terrible and it's a nice intro to them as a nugu group but ultimately probs nothing ground-breaking or particularly memorable to savour once the cheerleading undertakers have taken their final high kick. For shame.

Rearrange the letters of the next song title and it spells....

[​IMG]

13th

[​IMG]

CLC
    No Oh Oh

Average: 11.2

Highest Rank: 1st ( @ajmkv )
    Lowest Rank: 18th ( @vikeyeol )

Game, Set and Snatched. The title of this one really was a self-fulfilling prophecy wasn't it? So as quickly as they accumulated reality TV idol cast-offs, you daemons have decided that the flop of all flops are to be CLC. Let's all remember that this is the girl group that used to share a company with 1 2 3 4 4MINUTE GURRLL. Take a second to think about that, take a moment to compare & contrast:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's talk about CLC's last stand then: with single numero #4 the girls bumped up the pep with ripped jeans, fruit shirts and wearing SNAPBACKS. Gasp! To be fair they all look gorgeous in the video and there are many catchy little refrains along the way along with the 'IMMA BUST A NUT' line in the chorus which adds whole new levels of depth to No Oh Oh as a title. Also wish someone would look at me the way the rather stunning Seungyeon looks at this 12 incher:

[​IMG]

Hilariously this was up in 5th at one point during voting until the angry mob rolled in & dropped sweet 16th bombs all over the place. It's a shame not everyone will be there for the final rate-off but sometimes fading into obscurity is better than being punished with jaded scores landing you last place out of 55. @ryan_riot92 as ever serves up Oh Oh's and some, well, NOs: "This song showed a lot of promise and it’s the only decent track they have in my opinion. Okay, I lied because I actually REALLY like “Eighteen”. Probably because it’s nothing like any of their title tracks. The “Oh ooh Oh ooh Oh” and the “Ani ani aniya” parts are what I remember the most about the track. I don’t really like the vocals though."​

R.I.P CLC, we hardly knew ye.

Talking of groups who have been here before...

[​IMG]

12th

[​IMG]

SONAMOO
    Deja Vu

Average Rank: 14.5

Highest Rank: 3rd ( @ryan_riot92 )
    Lowest Rank: 20th ( @roux )

CURVEBALL, not actually a previous eliminee but a song supposedly about the sensation of seeing the same thing twice. The lyrics actually tell us the girls of SONAMOO have no real idea of what Deja Vu is and i'm not even sure South Korea has a corresponding image for it. Ah well, they probably just assumed it was a Beyoncé cover and that in itself wouldn't have been a bad thing. SONAMOO themselves here lose their debut single from Christmas 2014 and thankfully this isn't about seeing Santa falling down your chimney two years in a row. Sleigh.

SONAMOO literally means Pine Tree in Korean, hence the emphasis on trees on the EP cover and the stylising of the group's name as "sonAmoo". It's A Tree, get it? Funnily enough the KGP (Korean General Public) couldn't get enough of evergreen botanical forestry and sent the EP for this sky-rocketing to number 1 in the album charts. The single? #109. Yeouwch. On the plus side, they can boast a re-incarnation of After-School's Nana, ableit with less lines...

[​IMG]

Look this one is a rollercoaster - it basically armbars you with a K-Pop take on Goodies by way of Mis*Teeq and Missy circa 2003/4 and, up until the chorus I was SO into this, ESPECIALLY the "touga touga touga Goya" rump-shaking section (which looks a smidge like the below):

[​IMG]

But then the chorus hits like a magikarp doing splash. All the attitude built & delivered evaporates in a series of WHRRR sirens. Then we're treated to not one, but TWO, rappers of which one decimates y'all faves and the other flounders (magikarpette). By the end of three minutes it's all gone a bit round-the-houses and we've ended up watching some confused ladies in a warehouse. Such a shame. @ryan_riot92 is our high ranker with a mean backhand: "I was so behind SONAMOO before they even debuted and this was a great debut track. “Everlasting Love” was pure perfection as well. Too bad they have pretty much gone downhill in my opinion." And that hill would be full of pine trees no doubt.

HEAT 1 STANDINGS
    Stars represent no. of songs still in

APRIL ***
    CLC
    OH! MY GIRL *****
    SONAMOO **

WANNA.B *

16. Kwon Eunbin died for this.

17. Poor CLC. How could Cube get it so wrong this time?

18. I HATE YOU ALL. Murdering my #1 and #2 in a one, two punch. You'll see when the time comes how ruthless I can be with your faves.

Slice of Life likes this.
  19. I know you won't be ruthless with my fave because it's also one of your faves.

Why does April still have so many songs left?!

ajmkv likes this.
  20. My poor favs. WANNA.B remind me of After School if they never left 2009, bar Why? which sounds like a nice Miniskirt b-side. It even has someone with a nasally voice going "HEY!".

ajmkv and Squashua like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.