US Radio Thread | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

US Radio Thread

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by sexercise, Apr 11, 2016.

1. What do the stations/programme directors use as a gauge to tell if they should keep playing a song, particularly when they're just starting out so the audience impressions are still very low? e.g. In My Mind (Maty Noyes), I Got You (Bebe Rexha) Slumber Party (Britney)

2. Shazam charts
    M-Scores (how long before a person changes the station during a song, etc.)

Callout scores, sometimes, but that's usually when a song is taking off more.

iTunes + Spotify to see if it's performing well elsewhere (apparently older PDs still view iTunes as a better indicator and really need a song to take off on streaming to give into it).

Vasilios likes this.
  3. Also, here are upcoming adds for the start of 2017 with playlists starting to be updated:

January 3rd:
    Top 40/Mainstream:
    Sabrina Carpenter - Thumbs
    The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming

January 10th:
    Top 40/Mainstream:
    Calum Scott - Dancing On My Own
    Noah Cyrus - Make Me (Cry)
    Starley - Call On Me

Top 40/Rhythmic:

Chris Brown ft. Usher & Gucci Mane - Party

Hot AC:
    OneRepublic - Let’s Hurt Tonight

January 17th:
    Top 40/Rhythmic:
    Sean Paul ft. Dua Lipa - No Lie

Hot AC:
    Broods - Heartlines

January 24th:
    Top 40/Rhythmic:
    Mic Lowry - Oh Lord

4. What the fucking hell is this song?

5. A PJ member infiltrated a Top 40 station in rural Idaho and played 'Blow Your Mind (Mwah)' and 'Tilted'.

But Shake It Off and Meghan Trainor came shortly after so.

Island likes this.
  6. If 'Thumbs' ends up somewhat becoming a hit and 'On Purpose' ends up flopping, I'm going to be so mad.

'Thumbs' is literally the worst song on her surprisingly solid album.

America better let Calum Scott flop on his ass.

7. Calum Scott's version of Dancing On My Own was playing today on my local radio station and I immediately switched the radio off. Not today Satan.

8. Dua is coming for her first top five. I feel it in my bones. Exciting!

9. Aw

10. I heard that Julia Michaels song today. Werk those connections Republic.

Also I can't be bothered keeping up with the adds anymore dddd so shout out to @Sanctuary for keeping this thread alive xx.

Sanctuary likes this.
  11. I mean, she's essentially just describing radio pluggers, no?

Vasilios likes this.
  12. Britney, sis, your maid picks up Hannah's shits with $1000 bills... if all it takes is $160K, why wasn't Make Me a hit?

13. Yes. I posted because while most Americans still listen to Top 40, I'm surprised that bands will pay that much $$. Radio is on a fast decline and as Aubrey said, not an wholly accurate indication of what people like or want to hear.

14. I mean, radio is still the largest way to promote music.
    I'm not sure it's accurate to say radio is on the decline in the US either.

She also simplifies it all a bit too much.
    No one can pay radio to make someone a hit. What she describes is pluggers getting songs put into initial testing and other lower bits of rotation. This is no different than iHeart channels doing "1-day on the hour" deals for huge new songs and that OnTheVerge program.

If the song's testing just doesn't turn out well, it's not going to become a radio hit. No one could pay to make Rebecca Black's Friday into a hit, you know what I mean?

Add in that playlisters also need to keep track of Shazam charts, iTunes, Spotify, etc. to see what hits are organically coming and happening.

bess marvin likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.