Utada Hikaru - SCIENCE FICTION + General Discussion

Greatest Hits Vol 2 was an Ultra Blue + Heart Station compilation so I get why they’re leaning so heavy into newer singles. Sakura Nagashi still feels like a really weird omission! The tracklist isn’t in chronological order so maybe the idea was a representative but cohesive sound.

justice for Fight The Blues though, poor thing got shafted twice.

Rmx

He/Him/His
Artwork is out for SCIENCE FICTION.

26 songs, including re-recordings of Addicted To You, traveling, and Hikari, a new version of Somewhere Near Maerseilles, and one new song that hasn't been revealed yet.

Oh my god I hadn't even seen this yet, those album covers are stunning.

This is going to have to be the first time in years I'll be buying a physical CD / ordering from Japan.

By the way, I don't know if this has been mentioned but on CDJapan it says the First Press edition will come with:
"an application code a ticket for national tour to be held in summer 2024 (system requirements unknown)"

Rmx

He/Him/His
Not a huge fan of that single cover, only because it has no cohesion to the (fantastic) album art. I mean, she looks stunning! But the album visuals are so fantastic, I need more of that. I guess I'll just have to buy the album and enjoy the booklet to the fullest.

Does anyone know if any retailer out there is offering a poster with the album? I miss the days of CD + Poster. I still cherish my Heart Station poster which is hanging over my bed, proudly framed.

Rmx

He/Him/His
Only first press offers I can find so far is a sticker with CDJapan & HMV Japan.

I'll take it! Thanks for looking out for me, sis.

edit: Gross, I forgot how expensive shipping is on CDJapan. €18 to have decent, insured shipping. Jeez! Checking HMV Japan now to see if it's any cheaper. Where do you gals usually order your Japanese CDs?

Last edited:

Rmx

He/Him/His

It's hypnotising. I can't stop watching it. "I'm in love with you, in it with you, in it with you" is such a good bit.

I can't play it on Spotify yet :( When I click on the single it just says "The tracks on this release are not available". Anyone else?

It's hypnotising. I can't stop watching it. "I'm in love with you, in it with you, in it with you" is such a good bit.

I can't play it on Spotify yet :( When I click on the single it just says "The tracks on this release are not available". Anyone else?
Hmmm it’s on Apple Music in the US. It’s beautiful.

Rmx

He/Him/His
Hmmm it’s on Apple Music in the US. It’s beautiful.

It really is. I hope it'll be available on Spotify soon. In the meantime I'll have the video on loop. I was not expecting this song to grip me like this, damn.

I continue to love reading the translation differences between Hikaru's bilingual promo tweets:

Translation of the Japanese tweet:
And the music video, which was shot on ice with all the staff in the frigid Obihiro in January, will be premiered here tonight at 22:00

English tweet:
The video we shot freezing our asses off on a frozen lake in Hokkaido will premier today Japan time 22:00 here

they / them
Well, that's a bloody great song! I am such a sucker for a song where I spend the first couple of minutes* thinking "this is pretty" and then the drum machine kicks in and I realise this is kind of great actually, and then in the last thirty seconds* it goes glitchy and weird and I decide it's actually brilliant and when it ends I just want to listen to it again.

*Timings approximated for this anecdote.

Ok the video is their Frozen serve. The song didn’t hit me over the head like Gold but I love how the percussion coming in completely transforms the song. I wish the glitchy outro was longer!

And it’s another AG production. We really could be getting an entire Hikki x AG project someday.