Utada Hikaru - SCIENCE FICTION + General Discussion

@BEST FICTION trying to convince @eliminathan to change his username to @SCIENCE FICTION

womanscreaming.gif

Electricity being another Sam Shepherd production is sending me to the stratosphere, might be my favourite of the newer material, just phenomenal. All the new recordings and mixes are incredible too, traveling, Sakura Drops, COLORS, Letters and Goodbye Happiness especially are breathtaking! They’re insane.
Agreed with you on SAKURA and Letters being some of the best mixes, and also making me remember what an amazing release I thought that single was at the time.

"Diva representing Japan!"

That is adorable. That stan had the night of his life writing that.

Why are they advertising this as her "First best", though? Or do the others count as "compilations" and not necessarily "best of"s...?
The others were Singles Collections.

Reactions: Rmx
Electricity being another Sam Shepherd production is sending me to the stratosphere, might be my favourite of the newer material, just phenomenal. All the new recordings and mixes are incredible too, traveling, Sakura Drops, COLORS, Letters and Goodbye Happiness especially are breathtaking! They’re insane.
All the re-recordings and new mixes are wonderful but Sakura Drops, Colors, Letters and Goodbye Happiness are definitely my standouts, too. It's truly an experience every time I listen to them.

images

COLORS ladies and gentlemen! My wig just flew to Jupiter.
Mother should rename it to COLORS (SCIENCE FICTION MIX) because it sounds ominous and futuristic af while still retains all the amazing characteristics of the original. The drum kicking in at 2:59 ended me. Beautiful song.
Sakura Drops, Can you keep a secret, Beautiful World are breathtaking too.
This woman just gets it and delivers. I didn't expect to be shaken by a Greatest Hits album in 2024 like this.
Now give me a vinyl please.

Last edited:

Rmx

He/Him/His

No English subs, but looks like Addicted To You and 光 were A.G. Cook productions, while traveling was handled by Taku Takahashi of m-flo Distance/Gold remixes fame.

Oh lord, thanks for reminding me how terrible my Japanese has gotten. According to my degree I should be able to give you all a verbatim translation but I can't.

She starts out telling that people often ask her what genre her music is, which she has some difficulty pinpointing. Then it's fiction / non-fiction and then I lost track. I'm also too tired now but if there's no sub or translation by tomorrow and ya'll are still perched and no one else has translated / summarised it yet - let me know and I'll see what I can do dd. I fucking can't with myself right now, I'm such a clown dd

She starts out telling that people often ask her what genre her music is, which she has some difficulty pinpointing. Then it's fiction / non-fiction and then I lost track.

Non Fiction!! Some might also say...Best Fiction!

I was going to avoid hearing anything until my CD arrives but I listened to the new version of the Travelling on the PV/extended CM/whatever it is and WOW!! It makes me so happy to hear how amazing Sakura Drops sounds, can't wait to hear it. It makes me wonder what new mixes or versions of Keep Tryin' & Passion would sound like.

• Love
Reactions: Rmx
I honestly lost it with Sakura Drops. The flashbacks to 20 years ago when I was first discovering Jpop and finding a new artist felt like a deluge of music, videos and content to get through. The amount of CDs I ripped and organised. The days of downloading to watch a concert in decent quality because 1 mbps was the maximum internet speed back then. The clinical studying of fansites trying to decipher lyrics and their meaning. Knowing which song was which by things like □□~□□□□□. Repeating a CM rip over and over and over because a new song was being used for it. The old stan wars of JpopMusic forums and how that whole community was my first virtual home before being wiped from the internet.

crymegagif.gif

/me is feeling old.

The album is a 10/10. No notes. I believe in Utada supremacy, etc.

Last edited:

Rmx

He/Him/His
I honestly lost it with Sakura Drops. The flashbacks to 20 years ago when I was first discovering Jpop and finding a new artist felt like a deluge of music, videos and content to get through. The amount of CDs I ripped and organised. The days of downloading to watch a a concert in decent quality because 1 mbps was the maximum internet speed back then. The clinical studying of fansites trying to decipher lyrics and their meaning. Knowing which song was which by things like □□~□□□□□. Repeating a CM rip over and over and over because a new song was being used for it. The old stan wars of JpopMusic forums and how that whole community was my first virtual home before being wiped from the internet.

source.gif

/me is feeling old.

It seems like we have led the same life?!

I honestly lost it with Sakura Drops. The flashbacks to 20 years ago when I was first discovering Jpop and finding a new artist felt like a deluge of music, videos and content to get through. The amount of CDs I ripped and organised. The days of downloading to watch a concert in decent quality because 1 mbps was the maximum internet speed back then. The clinical studying of fansites trying to decipher lyrics and their meaning. Knowing which song was which by things like □□~□□□□□. Repeating a CM rip over and over and over because a new song was being used for it. The old stan wars of JpopMusic forums and how that whole community was my first virtual home before being wiped from the internet.

source.gif

/me is feeling old.

SAKURA Drops was the first J-Pop song I ever heard/saw and it was because the PVvideo was playing at Narita airport during a layover. I was so enthralled by it. JpopMusic forums and 128kbps rips named with gibberish and/or mysterious squares are truly the shared experiences of international fans back in the oughts.