Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City (3rd Album) | The Popjustice Forum

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City (3rd Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Mushroom, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Seeing as Popjustice has indulged in more alternative discussion in the past, there seems to be no reason why Vanpire Weekend won't have some sort of following on here. 'contra' was a pretty fantastic album and its follow up is scheduled to be released May 6th.

They premiered two new songs during their 'South by South West' show this weekend, entitled 'Diane Young' and 'Ya Hey'. They are here. Discuss.

2. RJF

RJF

So excited for this. Contra was essentially flawless, although I think I'll wait until some studio versions pop up before I listen to the new stuff.

Ezra's voice is just wonderful.

3. Symphony

Symphony Guest

Awful title.

4. It feels like ages since the last album. More stuff like 'Giving Up The Gun' please, less like 'Cousins'.

5. More like 'I Think UR a Contra' for the down tempos and more 'White Sky' for the uptempos.

6. A studio version of Diane Young was posted on some blog a couple of hours ago, but they were asked to take it down. It sounded really good. Also there were parts where his voice had various effects on it (like a vocoder type thing) and the whole thing reminded me of Carby by Discovery (I guess hearing his voice distorted). Which is great, of course.

I agree on less Cousins-type stuff for the new album. My favourite song of theirs is Diplomat's Son, I'm not sure that can be replicated though.

7. RJF

RJF

Here is "Diane Young".

I love it how it just sounds like pure fun. Reminds me of Arcade Fire's "Month Of May" slightly with its instrumentation.

I agree with everyone's choices on what songs to take inspiration from. "Giving Up The Gun", "White Sky" and of course "I Think Ur A Contra" are all blindingly brilliant tracks.

8. Oooh, it's rather delightful.

9. Love it.

10. Oh wow, that is actually very cool, I like it!

Lovely artwork too.

11. It's a mess, but a rather wonderful one.

12. Exactly.

13. And Step.

It's quite lovely. Nice combination of songs.

14. RJF

RJF

Oh, "Step" is just lovely indeed.

15. Both of these are super good. "Diane Young" is a hell of a lot of fun. Perfect for Spring/Summer, as I'm sure the rest of the album will be.

16. A&E

A&E

"Ya Hey" studio version:

[video=youtube;i-BznQE6B8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-BznQE6B8U[/video]

17. "Ya Hey" sounds good. I'm getting a lot more excited about the album now. "Diane Young" is exquisite and one of their best songs.

18. This has just leaked. I bet you're all thrilled.

19. vasilios

vasilios Guest

I got into the last album almost last week so semi-excited too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.