Veneno (AN ICON) | The Popjustice Forum

Veneno (AN ICON)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Judy Jetson Hooker, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Just saw the first two episodes.

THIS. IS. MAGICAL.

i was laughing and crying all at the same time. Gonna take my time with it and not binge it all at one go.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. I'm so happy you opened a thread for this show. I just started and I'm also already hooked. It's SO good!
    Even though it's really hard to not watch it all at once I also feel like this is not a show I wanna binge. I only watched one episode yesterday and one today. In a way both episodes deserved time to get appreciated before jumping to the next. I can't wait for the rest but I also don't want it to end.

3. Edu

Edu

One of the best things I watched last year.

4. If you didn’t cry at the end of every episode, are you even human?

Perfect cast and you can tell the people who did this care so much about the story and LGBTQIA+ issues.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    lushLuck, Edu, ohaimanabu and 3 others like this.
  5. Episode 4 had me on the edge of my seat. It was so intense. There hasn't been a show that made me forget everything around me in a long time. But Veneno does just that and puls me right in. I don't want it to end.
    The budget must have been enormous. Everything just looks so good.

I get the same feeling. It's done with so much heart and they really didn't hold anything back.

Does anyone know how the show was received by Spain's mainstream audience?

Judy Jetson Hooker and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  6. With glowing praise. Lauded as one of the best Spanish TV shows of the last few years. And being the first one that tackles these stories, it deserves it!

I don't think I've read a bad review about the show, and the only "bad press" it got was from some redacteds on twitter trying to come for the real Valeria.

7. FINALLY got around to starting this tonight and it’s one of the best first episodes of television I’ve ever seen. So good that it honestly could have been a one-and-done film, but I can’t wait to see where the series goes next.

8. I started to watch this last week and saw episode two yesterday and it is just as strong as the first one. I teared up for Manolito, we all had that friend growing up.
    Everything is so perfect, the cast right down to even the smallest bit players, the locations, the cinematography and editing. So much talent and production value. Really excited for the rest of the series.

lushLuck, Edu, Jasper47 and 1 other person like this.
  9. I’m just excited that the PJ girls are finally coming round to this.

[​IMG]

10. I can't listen to

without tearing up because of this show.

I feel like watching it again ññ

lushLuck, Remorque, Jóga and 3 others like this.
  11. Omg yes to this too. I CRIED and had flashbacks.

Jasper47 and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  12. Thats wonderful and really so deserved. So far I also only saw glowing praise for it.

I watched this really interesting Q&A yesterday. The actress who played Valeria (Lola Rodriguez) stated that the show helped her to heal some old wounds and that it made her more comfortable about herself. She even teared up a bit and said that she never felt as accepted in her life as she does now.

I love how the show connects Venenos and Valerias stories. Both characters are so different and the way both touch each other's life's is just so beautiful.
    Some YouTube comment I read said, that the original Spanish version is a bit different to the one aired on HBO. The original one is supposed to include a scene that explaines why
    Mississippi was canceled
    for example. Does anyone know if that's true?
    I have two episodes left and try to drag the end out as much as possible. I think I save them for the weekend. We need more shows like this!

13. Also what a treat seeing my Queen Carla from Élite in this!

Trinu 3.0 and Felp like this.
  14. Woo, episode 3 was a rollercoaster. Seeing Valeria blossom was so damn beautiful and I had such a big grin on my face seeing her live her truth. On the other hand, her subplot also made me anxious and tense.

When she started dating, I was so worried for her. The hotel scene, anxiety, then joy, then anxiety again. I hate that we live in a society where we need to be on the lookout for our fellow trans sisters and brothers and be worried sick for their wellbeing when they're thrown into dating situations with toxic cis men.

Episode 4 was fantastic as well, every flashback scene in the Madrid Park, iconic.

Trinu 3.0 and Jasper47 like this.
  15. Just watched the first episode and this is pure magic. My kind of show, I cried several times.

16. I don't have the episodes at hand right now, but I don't think they alluded much to that cause the whole thing was a mess. I'll try to summarise what I remember (as in, the real events and theories):

Esta noche cruzamos el Mississippi moved channels (from Telecinco to Antena 3) and turned into La sonrisa del pelícano.

Once in Antena 3, it appears the show didn't follow the "code of conduct" of the company and after being warned a few times, it was cancelled just hours ahead of a new emission. The official version of events is that the company (Atresmedia) was trying to get the rights to the football league or something and Pepe Navarro was collateral damage.

The legend says that's bullshit and offers more interesting tea:
    On the one hand, the show was famous for throwing names around and getting people involved in random scandals without proof or anything (politicians and businessmen being in snuff movies and the like). One of them (or many, can't remember) would be the chairman of one of the banks behind the company. So it looks like those with the money pressured the channel to get the show off air.

On the other hand, there was a clear animosity between Pepe and Pedro J. (founder of an important newspaper and husband to a famous colourful designer). The latter was involved in a scandal that involved a very weird tape that was sent to lots of news outlets with the hopes of it being shown publicly. It appears Pepe was going to do so in his show (he denies it), hence the quick cancellation. The tape was supposed to be a way of weakening Pedro's newspaper as the court cases against a paramilitary group supposedly created by the government of the time to fight a terrorist group were approaching.

So... yeah, it was a whole mess and I don't remember any of it in Veneno ñññ

BUT if you want to see how important Mississippi was to the Spanish TV landscape, I recommend watching The Alcasser Murders on Netflix (if you're into real crime documentaries). It was basically the birth of trash TV in Spain, and it shows a lot of how the show gave a platform to the most baseless and bizarre of theories, so no wonder if was cancelled.

DoggySwami, Jasper47 and Jóga like this.
  17. There is a montage with Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" where we can see the crew get a Tape with "Pedro J" written on it and the start of La Sonrisa del Pelicano culminating in the Police shutting production down. Was that the scene missing from the HBO broadcast? My subtitles cut off during that portion and only restarted when Christina came on set in her pink dress.

Jasper47 and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  18. Wow, that's wild... Thanks so much for the explanation! In the meantime I also checked the original version that aired in Spain and there's a long montage that was completely cut from the one that aired on HBO. But as @plasticFANTASTIC wrote, it's without subtitles, so I had no idea what's going on. Your summary explains it. I was super confused when I first watched the episode on HBO because the
    shows cancelation
    came out of nowhere with no explanation at all.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  19. Not me checking with a source and him having coffee with the real Valeria jhdvjksdh
    Another detail though:

When Pepe moved to Antena 3, Telecinco created a new show that would become a hit (heck, I remember watching the premiere and I wasn't even 10 ññ) and it looks like that was the catalyst? Pepe would try to be as crazy as he could during his show to create some artificial buzz, but it just didn't work.

The real one appears in the show, btw:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Jasper47 and DoggySwami like this.
  20. where can i watch this in the UK luvvies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.