Video Games

This does look fantastic and it's been getting rave reviews as well, apparently one one of the best ever in the genre. I'm definitely going to give it a try.

The launch trailer:

I said in an earlier post that the combat looks incredible but the art style looks just as good. I'm going to pick this up too.

I'm playing Nier: Automata on the Switch. I was extremely impressed by it on the PS4 and the Switch version is really not too much different. The graphical fidelity takes a hit but it's not that noticeable and I haven't experienced a single framerate drop.

It plays so much better docked though. It's so action packed that playing it handheld is a bit uncomfortable but it's still nice to have that option.

Has anyone played the Tales of Arise DLC? I want to play it, but the price seems kind of steep for an expansion.

I want to, but at the same time it's kinda hard to be that excited to play DLC for a game I beat two years ago (I still need to get around to playing the Mario + Rabbids and Pokémon ones and those are games I played much more recently). I'll get it eventually, but I do wish they'd just done a sequel instead. Though then again the second part of Arise already feels like a built-in sequel, so I can see why they didn't.

The Little Mermaid world is easily the most annoying in Kingdom Hearts. Water levels always find a way to be the worst.

Edit: thank God I'm done with that shit.

It's actually one of my favourite parts of the game! It's very well realised and a lot of fun, I think.

Has anyone played the Tales of Arise DLC? I want to play it, but the price seems kind of steep for an expansion.
I'm halfway through it currently - it's cute and I've enjoyed having an excuse to go back to the characters/combat, but the story is such a step down from the main game. The new girl it focuses on is interesting but the whole thing just feels very slight. The side quests are all borderline identical to each other as well which is a biT of a mess. I don't remember them being this repetitive in the main game.

I want to, but at the same time it's kinda hard to be that excited to play DLC for a game I beat two years ago (I still need to get around to playing the Mario + Rabbids and Pokémon ones and those are games I played much more recently). I'll get it eventually, but I do wish they'd just done a sequel instead. Though then again the second part of Arise already feels like a built-in sequel, so I can see why they didn't.

It's actually one of my favourite parts of the game! It's very well realised and a lot of fun, I think.
I think it's one of the most well realized so far in terms of story and aesthetics but the already slightly clunky combat is worse in the water and the environment is confusing. So many samey looking caves and the game's PS2 lack of direction is probably at its worst.

Last edited:
Recency bias and all that because I just played it, but Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze had some of the better water levels I've played. Those ones all felt as on-par with the rest of the game's superb non-water levels.

Tried the Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince demo again, thinking that it couldn't have possibly been as bad as I thought it was the first time I tried it.

It wasn't as bad, but it still wasn't good. The framerate is abysmal and I don't get why. You can literally see the monsters slideshowing it up in the field. The visuals are so low fidelity. The presentation is just really poor across the board and the monster designs are just okay. They're kind of cute but just don't have the charm or the appeal of Pokemon.

The battle system is slow and basic. I imagine it will all come together better later in the game, but it's not that fun. And the monster catching mechanic is dumb and confusing. It seems arbitrary. Maybe it's not but I don't understand it well enough to tell. They should have just copied Pokemon's method.

Level design feels very basic, with everything looking featureless and bland.

Again, I found myself quitting out before finishing it. The full game might be better but it really doesn't make a good first impression. It feels like they treated it as a "lesser game" type of spinoff rather than something that's attempting to be great in its own right. A shame. Maybe others will like it better than I did.

Last edited:
I'm sure y'all don't need me to tell you this, but Nier: Automata slaps immensely. And it probably has the best game feel of any action RPG. The only huge disadvantage of the Switch version is that there's some major texture pop in. I remember some pop in on the PS4 version but it wasn't close to being this bad.

Last edited:
In better demo news, I played the demo of Silent Hope on the Switch. What a cute addictive little game. The art design seemed meh in review videos and trailers but it looks quite good while actually playing it on a TV. And the combat is super crisp. The act of killing shit, picking up loot, and upgrading was all very dopamine inducing. It's like chibi Diablo or something. Basically, a game to play if you want nothing but great feeling game loop. The only thing I didn't like was the somewhat cumbersome workshops outside of the abyss; I feel like like making things involves too many hoops/steps. Will definitely pick up the full game at some point.

In better demo news, I played the demo of Silent Hope on the Switch. What a cute addictive little game. The art design seemed meh in review videos and trailers but it looks quite good while actually playing it on a TV. And the combat is super crisp. The act of killing shit, picking up loot, and upgrading was all very dopamine inducing. It's like chibi Diablo or something. Basically, a game to play if you want nothing but great feeling game loop. The only thing I didn't like was the somewhat cumbersome workshops outside of the abyss; I feel like like making things involves too many hoops/steps. Will definitely pick up the full game at some point.

I beat it a couple days ago (well, beat the story anyway, there's tons more content after the credits roll) and I really do recommend it, I had a blast with it, definitely feels like one of the most underrated games of the year. I wonder if the reason some people weren't so keen on it was they were expecting it to be more of a traditional JRPG when it very much isn't, but as a dungeon crawler it's fantastic. I think the devs did a great job at making a game that is quite straightforward and doesn't have any overly complicated systems, but is still super engaging and satisfying to play, and decently challenging as well, definitely not an easy balance to pull off.

RUNAWAY

Staff member
he/him
After like 140 hours I FINALLY beat Yakuza 5 with over 90% of the completion list DONE including the heat actions which I never thought would ever happen. I'm putting my cleanup completion on hold for now as I really just wanted to move on to Yakuza 6 (which I am loving btw, but where are all the side characters like Komaki, Yuya, The Florist???)