Video Games

I finished Tomb Raider 1 the other day for the first time ever! I don’t think I ever made it past Greece back in the 90s, the way the levels get longer and more complicated, I love it.
I’m currently on Tomb Raider 2 now, I played those first few levels so much back then, so Venice hasn’t been too difficult for me, but I’m already dreading the Wreck of Maria Doria, and I don’t think I ever got any further than the snow mobile in Tibet.
I’m planning on doing the expansion levels once I’ve completed the main games.
Also I’m finding it weirdly hilarious that everything is constantly out to get Lara, even mice.

Okay so I caved and did the all weapons cheat on TR1 and despite it saying online achievements will be locked, I seem to still get them? I just beat the T-Rex and the achievement for killing it popped up.

Downloaded Tomb Raider and got trapped inside a wall straight away. These tank controls, how did people ever play this game? I’ve already been savaged by wolves and killed by a bear and I’ve only been playing for 10 minutes. Pray for me.

I finished Tomb Raider 1 the other day for the first time ever! I don’t think I ever made it past Greece back in the 90s, the way the levels get longer and more complicated, I love it.
I’m currently on Tomb Raider 2 now, I played those first few levels so much back then, so Venice hasn’t been too difficult for me, but I’m already dreading the Wreck of Maria Doria, and I don’t think I ever got any further than the snow mobile in Tibet.
I’m planning on doing the expansion levels once I’ve completed the main games.
Also I’m finding it weirdly hilarious that everything is constantly out to get Lara, even mice.
I finished 1 last night!!!! It feels SO good doesn’t it???

It does indeed feel good, especially since I never managed it in the 90s ha!
SAME, I definitely got filtered out as a kid, we had the first four games and I never finished ANY of them, so this is lowkey cathartic. While I understand the need for accessibility in modern gaming, there is a certain special sort of charm to older platformer/adventure games where we’re legit just left to our devices, I watched a video last night where the guy says midway into the game it becomes a competition between the player and the level designers and it’s true honestly.

Some of the secrets I would have never found in my youth. I’m so happy I learned advanced techniques and did the house tutorial in full to really grasp things. I also ended up switching from modern to tank controls in the end and have maintained that going into TR2.

SAME, I definitely got filtered out as a kid, we had the first four games and I never finished ANY of them, so this is lowkey cathartic. While I understand the need for accessibility in modern gaming, there is a certain special sort of charm to older platformer/adventure games where we’re legit just left to our devices, I watched a video last night where the guy says midway into the game it becomes a competition between the player and the level designers and it’s true honestly.

Some of the secrets I would have never found in my youth. I’m so happy I learned advanced techniques and did the house tutorial in full to really grasp things. I also ended up switching from modern to tank controls in the end and have maintained that going into TR2.
Yeah I agree about the competition aspect between the player and level designer, there’s been a few times on TR2 where I’ve been like “what now?” And “of course I’m pulling crates to press a switch to open a door to press another switch” dd, I’ve just finished all the Maria Doria levels, I’ve always found them quite long, isolating and claustrophobic, so I’m glad they’re done. Hoping to get through the Tibet levels tomorrow. I find the original controls are the best for me, but I think that’s just because I’m so used to them, picking the game up again was like riding a bike!

Gotten further in TR1 than I ever have before. Using tank controls and I don’t find them bad at all, but I did grow up with them.
Also is it just me or are the modern graphics a bit too dark sometimes? I find myself switching to the old graphics to find a certain ledge sometimes.

Gotten further in TR1 than I ever have before. Using tank controls and I don’t find them bad at all, but I did grow up with them.
Also is it just me or are the modern graphics a bit too dark sometimes? I find myself switching to the old graphics to find a certain ledge sometimes.
Yeah some areas are really dark, I’ve had issues finding keys and key holes because of this, and then they are really obvious to find in classic GFX, there’s a section in Egypt which is pitch black, but lit well in the classic mode, hopefully they’ll patch this.

I don’t know why they didn’t ship the collection with in game graphics settings because yeah, the darkness on the modern graphics is way too dark and I really don’t want to have to change my monitor settings to adapt to it. I did finally learn how to change it between windowed and full screen though lol (F1)

he/him
I watched a Twitch streamer beat this the other night (TR1) -- not really knowing anything about the franchise and it was fun to watch. One thing I noticed her do is for every jump, she would first line it up where she wanted to go and then do a back-jump straight backwards before running to jump. Interesting strategy and I couldn't help but giggle at seeing how Lara walks, runs, and jumps.

I watched a Twitch streamer beat this the other night (TR1) -- not really knowing anything about the franchise and it was fun to watch. One thing I noticed her do is for every jump, she would first line it up where she wanted to go and then do a back-jump straight backwards before running to jump. Interesting strategy and I couldn't help but giggle at seeing how Lara walks, runs, and jumps.
Yep, basically due to the game’s grid based system, you really do need to be very precise with your jumps. Lara won’t do a running jump if you start in the middle of the tile/block , she’ll just fall to her death, so you have to either hop back or step to the edge so you get that running jump.

A hop forward basically covers one tile of distance, a running jump covers two and a running jump with her reaching out to grab a ledge will get you to the third tile across and she can just pull herself upward is basically how it works