Vinyl Rips | The Popjustice Forum

Vinyl Rips

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Iggypig, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hi,

Ok, I'm trying to complete my digital collections by purchasing remixes that were only on vinyl editions of singles/promos.

What's the cheapest/easiest way to do this? Should I purchase a USB turntable and rip from there or is there people who do it all for you in exchange for a few coppers?

Cheers

2. Depending on how many records you want to rip, it might be best to buy your own USB turntable (anything from £50 to £300!) and do it yourself using free software like Audacity. But it is very time-consuming, and the results can be frustrating at times.

Places like record collector shops, indie stores etc should have details of people who will do it for you at a cost (I know they definitely exist out there). Just ask the shop owners, and they should be able to help.

3. I'd say without doubt get yourself a USB turntable - it gives you the freedom to rip tracks when you want without relying on someone else everytime you buy something new.

I got the one below a year ago for fifty quid and it's fantastic. You get Audacity as part of the package to get rid of the noise and clean the tracks up.

I've converted all my extra vinyl tracks to MP3s - it is time consuming at first as you need to rip in real time so it'll take you a good while to start off with but once you've done it'll only take you the length of each track to do it in future roughly.

Link to it here: I was worried about the cheapness of it but it's been no problem for me.

http://bit.ly/zslWdE

4. The ION ones are great; I've had two different ones over the years, and they've been fine. I ended up getting one with a proper lid (that doubles as a hi-fi separate).

Audacity is also very simple to use, I'm a bit rubbish with picking up how to use new software, but that was very straightforward to get to grips with. Then it's just a matter of how many effects you want to add, and what bit-rate you save the rips. I tend to use as little compression as possible, but if the source vinyl is not that great, sometimes the only way to make it listenable and enjoyable is to get the box of tricks out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.