Vinyljustice 2.0

https://www.discogs.com/about/record-store-day-afters-announcement-2024/

Global Record Store Day Organizations and Discogs Collaborate On An International Post-Event Shopping Experience​

April 15, 2024

RSD-Afters-Seller-Landing-page-No-Kate-and-Ano.png

Discogs, the world’s leading music discovery and record-collecting platform, is excited to announce a global collaboration with Record Store Day (RSD) organizations to unveil a unique shopping experience. This collaboration connects official RSD record stores with a global community of music-obsessed fans who may have missed out on the limited-edition RSD titles at their local record store throughout the weekend event.
Beginning on April 22 at 20:00 BST, Discogs will power a centralized online shopping experience dubbed Record Store Day Afters once official RSD online sales begin. This cooperative initiative will feature official RSD stores from over 13 countries, providing a platform to amplify their reach during this pivotal period for record stores.
After visiting their favorite local shop this Record Store Day, April 20, fans who couldn’t purchase their desired RSD 2024 releases in-store can buy them online directly from participating record stores. This includes exclusive titles that are only available in certain RSD regions. Additionally, the Discogs community will enjoy a wealth of RSD-focused content, record-collecting guides, and more all in this one online destination.
“The same goal unites us—to empower record collectors and record stores—so it’s exciting to collaborate with these regional Record Store Day organizations to increase these participating stores’ visibility during one of the busiest times in the vinyl industry,” says Jeffrey Smith, Discogs’ Vice President of Marketing.
Discogs’ international RSD shopping hub will launch online at 20:00 BST on Monday, April 22, featuring record stores from the following regions:
Participating Regions: Australia • Austria • Belgium • CanadaFinlandGermanyIrelandJapan • Luxembourg • NetherlandsPoland • Switzerland • United Kingdom

he/him
Is her stuff initially shit to look at or does she really think she's doing something with those aesthetics?

I mean she’s combining anti-design trends and minimalism, on top of trolling her fans who are still moaning about the artwork a month later while selling out exactly what she’s giving them, so she’s certainly doing something.

Has anyone used imusic before?

I ordered some vinyl last month, made sure to keep it under £135 so they charged me VAT at time of purchase but I’ve now had a letter from customs saying I need to pay the VAT on it as they’ve obviously filled the declaration in wrong… anyone ever had this issue? Should I get imusic to refund me the VAT or just let them send it back and get a full refund? Really annoying.

Has anyone used imusic before?

I ordered some vinyl last month, made sure to keep it under £135 so they charged me VAT at time of purchase but I’ve now had a letter from customs saying I need to pay the VAT on it as they’ve obviously filled the declaration in wrong… anyone ever had this issue? Should I get imusic to refund me the VAT or just let them send it back and get a full refund? Really annoying.
£135 is the threshold for Customs Duty Excess, not for VAT. This threshold *includes* postage and all other costs, so if you bought £134 worth of vinyl, the postage & currency exchange on top of this amount is going to have HMRC ding you. The threshold for VAT is like ... £9 or £14 or something very low. In theory the store is supposed to charge you VAT up front when you buy the thing, but sometimes HMRC rarely do their jobs and notice this and send you a bill. Certain stores cause this more than others (Black Screen Records I'm looking at you). To be safe your total amount paid (for items + VAT + postage + anything else) should be at least £5-10 *less* than the £135 threshold, to stop you getting dinged because of fluctuating currencies.

£135 is the threshold for Customs Duty Excess, not for VAT. This threshold *includes* postage and all other costs, so if you bought £134 worth of vinyl, the postage & currency exchange on top of this amount is going to have HMRC ding you. The threshold for VAT is like ... £9 or £14 or something very low. In theory the store is supposed to charge you VAT up front when you buy the thing, but sometimes HMRC rarely do their jobs and notice this and send you a bill. Certain stores cause this more than others (Black Screen Records I'm looking at you). To be safe your total amount paid (for items + VAT + postage + anything else) should be at least £5-10 *less* than the £135 threshold, to stop you getting dinged because of fluctuating currencies.
It’s all very confusing! I’d originally had 8 vinyl in my basket and they weren’t charging me any VAT at that point so the per item price was cheaper, so I removed one and then they added the VAT on as I couldn’t be bothered dealing with it when it was imported, so my invoice from imusic clearly shows I’ve paid 20% VAT on my order but customs are trying to charge me the VAT again which doesn’t seem right? I don’t mind paying any other import fees but I’m not happy about paying the VAT twice!

Shipping and VAT shouldn’t be part of the £135 total. I’ve argued with stores before but never really got anywhere, @leeroy your best bet would be to argue with imusic, because the shipping provider will not budge. I had a VAT issue with UO and DHL that lasted for a good 6 months because no one was fully grasping the situation, eventually UO caved.

Compare the value at purchase to the new charges you’re being given. For the new charge, take away the delivery company’s service charge and times by 5, that will give you the “value” plus shipping costs that you should’ve been charged initially, if it’s wildly different then imusic has declared something wrong.

Send me a PM with details if you need a hand.

It’s all very confusing! I’d originally had 8 vinyl in my basket and they weren’t charging me any VAT at that point so the per item price was cheaper, so I removed one and then they added the VAT on as I couldn’t be bothered dealing with it when it was imported, so my invoice from imusic clearly shows I’ve paid 20% VAT on my order but customs are trying to charge me the VAT again which doesn’t seem right? I don’t mind paying any other import fees but I’m not happy about paying the VAT twice!
You pay VAT on Customs Excess. HMRC does usually calculate things in the worst possible way to double or triple ding you. @HeartSwells is right in that shipping & VAT *shouldn't* be part of the calculation, but they always have been from mine and many other's experience for over a decade now. Again, if you don't want to have month-long arguments with the original record store (don't bother with the courier, they will never care, and could withhold your stuff or even return it), keep the entire amount in the £120-130 range after currency exchange.

Thanks both!

I’ve seen I can complete a BOR286 to appeal the the import VAT with border force, so in theory I can provide them with the evidence that I paid the VAT when I ordered the items so they should refund the double payment of VAT… or do they tend to just say ‘sorry, no can do’.

It’s just annoying as I’m going to have to pay £45 just to get them to release the bloody parcel, which I guess I have no choice if I want it!