Waiting For That Rate- The George Michael/Wham! Singles Discography Rate- The Winner Is.... | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

Waiting For That Rate- The George Michael/Wham! Singles Discography Rate- The Winner Is....

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Exactly Hello "Stay", Deeply dippy, please don't go!

Eric Generic likes this.
  2. Ray

Ray

Please tell me you didn't just compare those two to 'Too Funky'…!

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  3. George should have done an EP of Wham! remakes in 1992, and called it "Whamm-y!". Instant #1.

4. No Way...my point being that the UK record buying public were wrong about "Too Funky" - it peaked at Number 4 in the UK charts when it should have been a Number One single imho....especially when the competition was "Deeply Dippy" and "Please don't go" - both of which were UK Number One singles on very low sales figures...go figure!

Ray likes this.
  5. Half way through my scores and wondering what we think are his greatest videos? We didn't get proper videos for arguably some of his finest tracks but may I present for your consideration:

6. Good idea, I think my favourite is this:

Not a groundbreaking video, but still an MTV era classic and banned (I believe) at the time too boot.

Filippa, Hairycub1969 and mrdonut like this.
  7. Ray

Ray

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I LOVE 'Shoot The Dog', especially the attempts to get rid of Geri 'my best friend George Michael' Halliwell and the Village People Georges. Wish this would somehow get an updated lyric and video for 2019 (2020 would be quite a different update).

Filippa, berserkboi, gezza76 and 2 others like this.
  8. I love the video to "Father Figure" for obvious reasons...

Filippa, berserkboi, Ray and 2 others like this.
  9. Dirty cub

10. Dirty cab!

11. my faves are probably "Club tropicana" for its kitch value, "Wake me up" for its iconique status and "Everything she wants" for the swoon factor.

12. I like I'm Your Man as it reminds me of happier days for everyone.

13. Ray

Ray

I can't believe nobody mentioned 'Last Christmas' yet, maybe it's because it doesn't get played much?

14. Oh I forget that one every January for nine months when the shops remind me of it.

15. I don't want to say too much about the songs themselves as I'll be submitting an essay commentary on each song with my rate points!

Eric Generic and gezza76 like this.
  16. Ray

Ray

I have no idea how to score it. On one hand, it's a lovely 12-year-old-wrote-a-cute-pop-sitty-and-suddenly-success song. On the other, I CAN'T STAND IT.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  17. Last Christmas is bloody amazing, but it will be difficult to score.
    Too Funky? Meh.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  18. I've tried to ignore how many times I've heard a song when i did my marks and almost tried to listen to it afresh. although with that one it was hard to do so.

Filippa and Hairycub1969 like this.
  19. Ray

Ray

I think my most played GM song might be

Freeek!

mrdonut likes this.
  20. There is no question his greatest video is Freedom 90. It’s just a shame he’s not even in it. Too Funky was also amazing but I do prefer my supermodels lip synching!

Of the videos he was actually in, Fastlove has to be up there.

Although all three that @mrdonut has posted are among his best as well.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.