WandaVision | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

WandaVision

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Joe., Jan 13, 2021.

1. Holy shit, that was Emma Caulfield! I knew I recognized her from somewhere (specifically 90210).

2. I actually low key preferred episode 1? I felt like the slapstick-novelty started to wear off by the end of the episode. The ending was great though so I hope things start to move along a bit more from episode 3.

Mvnl, lushLuck, LPMA and 1 other person like this.
  3. She hasn't aged a bit. But I swear Debra Jo Rupp looked exactly the same as she did in Friends 25 years go.

4. My husband wonders if the voice through the radio is Xavier.

scottdisick94 likes this.
  5. It’s the FBI agent from Ant Man and the Wasp.

6. I think the reason the sitcom thing works so well is because we know it’s not going to last. So we can enjoy it for what it is, if it was something dragged out over multiple seasons, or even a 22 episode season, we be sick of it pretty fast.

Mvnl, lushLuck, POPGASM and 7 others like this.
  7. I thought it might be a distorted Doctor Strange?

He likes this.
  8. This. It’s definitely Randall Park.

9. Now that I have the energy to talk:
    1) I noticed that too! I was like "hmmmm so he's important?" In my head. It's very interesting, especially we still don't know for sure how Vision is here.
    2) Such an intense and unexpected moment. I was legit freaking. Its interesting that none of them did anything, until Wanda told Vision to help him. It's extremely weird.
    Also, when the show "ends" but it pulls back and shows someone watching them on a TV screen - that was SUCH a weird and interesting moment, and just adds to mystery of it all. Who's watching them? Who's controlling this?
    3) Oooo, I didn't think of it like that. I thought she was confused because she doesn't actually know who she is, so she had to quickly think of a name. I'm still trying to figure out why Monica is there in the first place.
    4) Yes, exactly. Its weird though because the symbol on the mini helicopter is the same as the one on the back of the beekeepers outfit, so it seems like they're connected.
    5) Its so weird. Like, did she just plop into a random town and change all of this? Or were these people pulled from somewhere else and put there? Or is it something else entirely? The end of the second episode was crazy, between the pregnancy, the beekeeper, her saying no, and then immediately hearing something like a remote or button being pushed to rewind everything, resulting in the change to color - whew intense.
    6) My friend and I noticed that too! We didn't connect it to tragic moments though, we just thought it was connected to people she knew, but that makes so much sense.

I'm about to watch these two episode again for fun, and to see if there's anything I missed, and I have a feeling I'm going to be doing that a lot. I really enjoyed the episodes overall.
    Yes! It's crazy, cause I hadn't seen Emma's tweet so I didn't know she was in this. Naturally I immediately recognized her but I couldn't place how, until I got a closer look and realized "That's Anya!" It was hilarious cause the friend I watched the show with has been doing a Buffy marathon with me, which is her first time watching the show, and we just watched The Wish yesterday.

JuanJose, LPT, He and 1 other person like this.
  10. That was great! Loved the sitcom setting and the slow bleed of reality as the story went on.

Olsen is always great and Kathryn Hahn was note perfect in every scene. And as a massive Buffy fan it was a pleasant surprise to see Emma Caulfield pop up amongst the cast.

11. This is definitely a series I’m gonna need to binge. It’s such a jarring experience going from the usual MCU output to the 50’s sitcom that the first episode is.

Dont get me wrong, I liked the first two episodes quite a bit but I feel like this is going to be something where I need the reveal before the novelty wears off and will probably be better watched in one sitting versus week by week viewing. And I think I know where the show is going (having read the comic books) and that excites me to no end.

12. I LOVED IT.

I think the answers to all of these are connected - I'm guessing something happened after Endgame (that we haven't seen – yet) that made Wanda have a mental break, and she either created this bubble reality whole cloth or pulled some real people inside with her (maybe she and Vision did nothing but watch old TV reruns while in lockdown between Civil War and Infinity War, and that's why it looks like this and is moving through a decade per episode)? Maybe she tried some spell to get Vision back (since he wasn't un-snapped), and it went awry?

Regardless, I don't think others are controlling it – I think it's all S.W.O.R.D. who is simply observing/trying to figure out and fix what Wanda has done. The voice on the radio is a S.W.O.R.D. agent (Park, I guess, though I admit I didn't recognize his voice) trying to contact her inside the bubble...I'd guess Monica is another agent they sent inside (as is the Beekeeper) and so when Wanda asked her name she had to make something up? Or maybe everyone inside gets brain wiped/controlled by Wanda.

The "for the kids" repetition was truly creepy, and I can't believe she's pregnant in episode 2! WE'RE GETTING WICCAN SO SOON! I guess they gotta age him up by Phase 5...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Doenjang, Lander, Robbietoxic and 5 others like this.
  13. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

I found that episode 1 felt stronger overall in its’ homages and by the time episode 2 ended it was clear they could only wring out the gimmick for so long, so I’m glad we got a jump into the late 60’s/early 70’s aesthetic by the time the credits rolled.

What do we all think the deal with the beekeeper is? Just an example of realities blending or does beekeeping symbolize something?

Her being observed was an interesting twist. I wonder how much of this is being done to her and how much she controls? The confused reactions by Geraldine made me wonder if she’s not supposed to be there or if that was all part of Wanda’s subconscious projecting.

I wonder if she made a deal with the devil Mephisto and he “brought Vision back” in the form of shaping a world Wanda controls.

Also the symbol that popped up on the observation screen and the helicopter

Appears to be SWORD from the comics, an offshoot of SHIELD that deals with interplanetary affairs, I believe. Though so far here the W stands for Weapons as opposed to World, so it remains to be seen how much of their MO has changed

The advertisements were a nice touch. I think this will only get stronger as it continues so I’m looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

14. I’m really intrigued by this. It’s an exciting change of pace and I’m already loving it.

I agree that this would benefit from binging, but god forbid Disney lose out on any money from people watching it on a free trial. However would they cope?!

15. I just realized the symbol on the helicopter and the beekeeper's suit kinda looks like a sword, so that would make sense. Its interesting that Jimmy would ask "Who's doing this to you?" if they already suspect/know she's the one who's doing it.
    And yeah, I think they were brain wiped or something, because we know Monica doesn't know who she is, from the trailers.
    The "for the kids" was definitely creepy, and her pregnancy is so exciting and strange at the same time.
    That's what I'm wondering too. I can't shake this feeling that she doesn't have complete control over this little world, but I do think she started everything and it's her choice to be there.
    I like your Mephisto idea.

16. This is speculation but i’ll put it under a spoiler tag

I definitely think Mephisto is in this but is working with Agnes. In the comics he has an alias Mr Scratch and Agnes’ rabbit is called Señor Scratch which is too much of a coincidence especially when Dottie said “the devil’s in the detail, Bev” and Agnes quipped back with “that’s not the only place he is”

BTG, Lander, Robbietoxic and 6 others like this.
  17. Oooo for sure. I think @Macanudo was right with:

Macanudo and Aidan like this.
  18. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

Whew, that went completely over my head.

19. Speaking of Friends, I was convinced one of the background characters was played by David Schwimmer, but apparently it's an actor named David Lengel.... I'm still convinced it's Schwimmer with prosthetics.

Some speculation based on the previous trailers:
    There was a shot of a helicopter approaching a red energy field. The theory is that Geraldine/Monica piloted a helicopter into the reality-altering field at the beginning of episode 2, which would explain why she didn't appear in the first episode and said "I don't know what I'm doing here."

This show is gonna be so much fun to rewatch for the hints to the truth. I feel like I'm watching Gaga's 911 all over again, analyzing every little detail!

20. Loved this. A perfect U turn of the standard Marvel fare and the kindof story that can only be told episodically on TV.

Outside of Marvel, I've only ever seen Olsen in serious films or dark comedies, she absolutely nailed the comedy, and when the tone shifts and she finds herself questioning the reality that was just as fascinating to see. I'm so excited to see where this goes and considering Marvel haven't put out anything in over a year at this point, this feels like an inspired return to the MCU. Even if it was never their intention.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.