Wedding songs | The Popjustice Forum

Wedding songs

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by stuaw, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Now that gay marriage is a possibility, I really want to get married one day.

I was just wondering what songs you lot would like your first dance to be (no matter gay, straight or bi, lesbian, transgendered life). Or, if you're already married, what song was your first dance to?

Here is my (current) shortlist:

Ellie Goulding - Your Song
    Adele - One and Only
    Ryan Adams - Wonderwall
    Paul Weller - You Do Something to Me
    The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses

2. I was listening to Your Song right now and saw this thread and was going to mention it.

Eerie.

3. It's a popular wedding song, I think. Probably the most common out of my five. Ellie Goulding sang it at the Royal Wedding.

4. Miley Cyrus - When I Look At You

I could cry thinking about it right now!

5. I have so many. Probably a good thing somebody else gets an equal say in it...

First dance:

Julee Cruise - Falling
    The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
    Alicia Keys - No One

Wedding party:

The Ronettes - Be My Baby
    Love Affair - Everlasting Love
    Dusty Springfield - I Only Want To Be With You

6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

As much as I'd love to pick ones already I'm pretty damn sure this is something that will be determined by a song that ends up meaning a lot to me and Mr Mvnl.. if he even shows up.

VivaForever likes this.
  7. I'll give Mr Stuaw the illusion of choice, but in reality if he's marrying me he better get damn used to me getting my own way.

I am of course kidding. But I do like to think about these things. If there happens to be a song that means a lot to both of us and would fit into a wedding, then we can have that. If not, then I'd like to think we could pick from a shortlist of songs similar to what I've posted.

VivaForever likes this.
  8. This would be such a brilliant song for a wedding actually, probably my first choice but unless I marry Miley herself I can't see any girl going for that!! Gutted.

My other choice would be like, Taylor Swift - Sparks Fly probably.

9. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

I think me and Best Fiction were going to have Sex For Breakfast as we walked down the aisle.

VivaForever likes this.
  10. I Am by Aguilera is the perfect wedding song. There is no other song that could fit one better.

However, I'd prefer a Taylor song for mine. Me Without You by Ashley Tisdale and Teenage Dream must also be on the soundtrack.

VivaForever likes this.
  11. Selena - Dreaming of You
    This is a childhood favorite and I adore it still today, I'd probably choke up if this was the song for the very first dance.

Spandau Ballet - True
    Cranberries - Linger
    Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You

And the more upbeat songs would be:

Faith Hill - This Kiss
    The Bird and the Bee - Meteor
    Kylie Minogue - Love At First Sight
    Plumb - Blush (Only You)

Island likes this.
  12. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Shania Twain - From This Moment On
    Shania Twain - You've Got A Way
    Shania Twain - Forever and For Always
    Shania Twain - You're Still The One

Mikl C and VivaForever like this.
  13. We got married in 2001. We had 2 slow dances and they were Savage Garden's I Knew I Loved You and Faith Hill's Breathe.

However........I playlisted our entire evening reception myself and the DJ got paid on the basis that he didn't deviate from my list!! So many guests asked who the DJ was because the music was so good!! The highlight for me was Kim Wilde's You Came and If I Can't Have You back to back!! I don't think I left the dancefloor all night!!!!!!!!!!!

VivaForever likes this.
  14. I haven't thought about mine, but the band at my sister's wedding played a few acoustic songs with just a guitar in between courses and one of the songs was "Because Of You" by Kelly Clarkson and I thought that was a really weird choice to play at a wedding. I'm sure most people didn't pay attention to the lyrics, especially since it was in Germany, but I still found it strange.

Come to think of it, I'd love to include Pachelbel's Kanon in D-Dur at one point. And I'd absolutely love to do a surprise wedding dance, as seen a thousand times on youtube. Starting with a slow, romantic song for the first dance and then break out into Thriller or something. It looks like so much fun.

15. Woohoo.

16. I imagine it would end up being a song that means something to you and your partner, but there's always ways to make a song meaningful. Seeds can be planted, my friends, and they can grow into big, lovely favourite song trees.

Anyway, I would love my first dance to be to For Lovers by Wolfman and Pete Doherty. It's an absolutely terrific song, and gives me goosebumps.

Other songs I'd be happy to sway away with my new spouse to for the first time include:

Des'ree - Kissing You (though, to be honest, it's a bit funeral-y)
    Beach Boys - God Only Knows
    The Boy Who Trapped The Sun - Golden
    Snow Patrol - Set The Fire To The Third Bar
    Emiliana Torrini - Today Has Been OK (would be quite fitting if I ended up marrying a guy, and I find the idea of understating how fantastic the day is very cute)

Txetxu likes this.
  17. I think all of these are classic and sweeping enough to be considered:

Stevie Wonder 'I Believe (When I Fall in Love)
    The Cure 'Love Song'
    Cyndi Lauper 'Time After Time'
    Madonna 'Crazy for You', 'True Blue', 'Nothing Fails'
    Sister Sledge 'Thinking Of You'
    Belle & Sebastian 'Funny Little Frog'

and of course: http://youtu.be/AR8D2yqgQ1U

18. To counter the funeral thread, and because we were chatting about it back in the Parlo Kylie rate...

Island, A&E and letuinmybackdoor like this.
  19. "Starlight" by Sophie Ellis-Bextor.
    "Forever And For Always" by Shania Twain.
    "Enchanted" by Taylor Swift.

ohnostalgia, VivaForever and Island like this.
  20. My dream First Dance song would be -

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU - ABBA

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.