West End Musicals | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

West End Musicals

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dazzle, Feb 25, 2009.

1. I must see Avenue Q again, I really did love it. It's meant to be hitting Dublin on this tour, which will be close enough for me!

When I went to see it four years ago actually, the guy voicing Princeton had changed quite recently, and our lot were sitting next to his parents who'd come to see it for the first time. Turns out, he'd not told them what it was about at all. They were scandalised, all the mother could say to us at the end was "A year ago, he was Joesph. Now...", to which my (slightly drunk) friend yelled "He's having puppet sex!". The poor thing.

2. I've read that story quite recently... probably in this thread? haha

I was just talking to someone who said they had to see Av Q if it ever came back, great news :D

3. Oh dear, I'd posted it on the last page! Ignore me then.

I saw Chicago during the summer actually, and was a bit disappointed. It seemed.. on the cheap? I dunno, it just didn't feel like a proper big production, to be honest.

4. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I saw Evita over the summer and was extremely impressed with it. Brilliant production.

5. I saw a big truck with 'Beauty and the Beast - The Musical' on the side and I got ridiculously overexcited. I don't think there'll be a new production though...

6. I remember the rumours from a few years ago that there was going to be a West End production of The Little Mermaid, to replace The Lion King at the Lyceum.

I don't want The Lion King to end for a while. At least, not until I get to see it a few more times.

The one Disney production I'd love to see, though, is Tarzan!

I just looked on Wikipedia and, apparently, there was to be a film adaptation of the Beauty and the Beast musical. That's crazy! An adaptation of an adaptation of an adaptation!

7. I borrowed the soundtrack to the Lord of the Rings musical from a friend. It is divine. Wonder shall forever be my epic slow motion song.

8. There was going to be a little mermaid musical you are right. I remember when Siobhan (Donaghy) was leaving Rent she told me she was in talks to be Ariel!! Imagine!

9. Well I saw that Kimberley Walsh in Shrek: The Musical this evening (got a free ticket two days ago). Such a great show and Kimberley was very impressive.

10. Resurrecting this thread because firstly I'm 90% I'm going to see Wicked again in June as part of my Paris&London holiday with my friends and secondly so I could come in and fangirl all over this thread about how amazing Rachel Tucker is as Elphaba.

I MEAN REALLY. SHE IS FLAWLESS. The definitive Elphaba. I'm so glad I got to see her early on (16 days after she started) and now I'll get to see her in June, the month she overtakes Kerry Ellis (aka second most flawless Elphaba) as the longest serving Elphaba on the West End. She's grown so much it's unreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkZoVWdREPc <- A month and a half after she joined
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNOkc4V-Tww <- December 10th

The growl in the last riff is something else. I mean really, I prefer to Kerry's 'Look to the western sky' growl and as everyone knows, that growl is just amazing. Seriously, if Rachel added a growl to her 'Look to the western sky' it would make my life. Shame she probably never will to avoid Kerry comparisons.

So, anyone going to any shows this year?!

11. Of course! So far I'm seeing Chess, Sister Act and probably Avenue Q (again) when they all come to Leeds. There's also an improvised musical coming to the West Yorkshire Playhouse so I'll probably end up at that too. Basically, if it's in Leeds, I'll be there!

12. How strange, I just bought the Chess soundtrack this week, having never seen it.

I've seen Fame, Cabaret (that's the Nazi backdropped one, right?), Thriller, We Will Rock You and Priscilla. I'm not a huge fan of musicals but some of the performers I've seen have packed amazing voices.

13. I don't know it either, but I'm going for the ABBA connection. I will go and see anything though! Cabaret is one of my favourites.

14. Chess is a bit of a weird one! I saw it a few years ago, not knowing anything about it other than it being written by the Abba boys and 'I Know Him So Well'. I was very surprised to discover that it was *actually* about a game of chess.

15. Is it?! I figured it was some kind of odd metaphor! Haha.

16. A few months ago, me and my friend who are both Wicked obsessives saw it and commented on how powerful 'No Good Deed' was that night. We met Rachel after and said something about it to her. As much as I love her, her response was hilarious. She was going on as if she'd written the song herself.

I'll be going to see Wicked again in the next few weeks probably. I also want to see Blood Brothers & Les Mis as bizarrely I've never seen either.

17. I can't wait for Bridget Jones's Diary and Viva Forever.

18. Has there been any word on who is going to be in those, or is it too early yet?

19. All I know is, Sheridan Smith is going to be Bridget and I cannot wait! I have no idea of any other cast members, though.

20. Oh I love Sheridan Smith, I wish I'd seen her in Legally Blond. She's far more appealing to me than Zellweger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.