What is the saddest song you've ever heard? | The Popjustice Forum

What is the saddest song you've ever heard?

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Raichu, Jun 9, 2022.

1. I thought this question might lead to some interesting discussion and recommendations.

My choice:

The ending bit of the song, when John Lennon is practically flaying his throat screaming, is harrowing. It seems pretty rare for any artist to write something so direct and emotionally raw. I would like more well known artists to do something similar. I'm a little tired of the unpleasant emotions being so buried and coded in mainstream songs. It's like that ridiculous societal taboo against getting too "heavy" in social situations applies to music too and I love songs that say, "Fuck that. I'm going to give this depressing shit to you straight."

Also, the way he's going in on the vocals is something special. A lot of artists seem to hold back the vocal, as if they're afraid of it hitting to close to the bone. Lennon lets it rip in this song, which is what makes him one of the all time greatest rock vocalists. McCartney might have superior range and pitch, but he never recorded a vocal as impactful as the one is this song.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  2. For some reason this one has always pierced right through me. I used to just lie there and let this wash over me, somehow that ethereal vocal and that coo for a chorus made me feel like I actually belonged in the world for a few minutes

Similarly there's this, which I think for me has always been one of the strongest songwriting moments I've ever known.

3. Songs about grieving a mother are always a tearjerker for me, and these two get to me in particular. It's a lot because of the delivery.

4. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Gravity is an absolute masterpiece. One of my favourite songs of all time.

My nomination for saddest song ever, though, is this:

5. Always and forever:

(Also a contender for best cover/song of all time)

6. Some off the top of my head

I'll hit the bottom and escape
    Beautiful composition. Especially the outro is gut-wrenching, alluding to constantly hitting rock bottom and the frailest state of mind, but getting on with your life with false hopes that one day it'll get better.

and

I don't want to have to share our love
    I try, but I get overwhelmed

and surely

I could put my arms around every boy I see
    But they'd only remind me of you

7. Not certain that this is the saddest, but it's up there.

and this.

Ironheade, Sprockrooster and Raichu like this.
  8. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Two completely opposite ends of the spectrum. One makes me just sad, the other destroys me.

9. My favourite pop song, and the Saddest song I've ever heard is, The Day Before You Came by ABBA.
    There are several interpretations of the song and only one of them is NOT sad!

10. If I had to choose a non-ABBA song, it would be by The Carpenters.

11. Sorry, can't pick one:

Alanis really speaks to my insecure self

When the last thing you say to your friend 'goodnight, travel well' before he dies in a car crash... it just cuts me

An unreacheable dream? Settling with the opposite of what you dreamt about...

More Lana songs are fitting but this just is the saddest for me:

On the nose lyrics doesn't make it less sad

12. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

13. This thread is incomplete while my girl Natasha hasn't made an appearance. Surfjam Sassafras too but he's got far too many depression bangers to get into.

This is a bit off-kilter and not exactly a song but damn if Trenzalore isn't a track carrying the weight of centuries of loss and regret (until the last 25 seconds)

Ironheade likes this.
  14. Nothing will ever beat this for me. It is so damn sad, yet there is something so beautiful about it.

Ironheade and unnameable like this.
  15. Three songs that always have me running for the tissues:

16. The moment that turned me on to Maria McKee (and incidentally led me to the Dixie Chicks' first album when they covered it)

Not necessarily the saddest but certainly the angstiest expression of unrequited love by a forum fave

Spiritual sadness

CorgiCorgiCorgi and Ironheade like this.

17. I'm sure we're taller in another dimension
    You say we're small and not worth the mention

The way the second lyric reacts like the slightest possibility of hope snuffed out immediately wrecks me every single time.

18. these five are ways to start a depression party

Ironheade likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.