What Kind Of Fuckery Is This? - UK Politics General Discussion | Page 1042 | The Popjustice Forum

What Kind Of Fuckery Is This? - UK Politics General Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Baby Clyde, Apr 8, 2010.

1. I'm definitely gonna start using this, or words to that effect when talking about other marginalised communities. I was just thinking the other day that discussions about privilege should be reframed from "your life is easier because xyz" to "your life would be harder still if you were zyx". Obviously both statements are true, but I've had much more luck with the latter in conversations about privilege.

2. I overheard a middle-aged white lady in a bar saying (quite audibly) that she didn't speak to anyone who wasn't white because she was worried about being called a racist, apparently "it isn't worth it'. Umm, perhaps that's because she IS a big old racist!!!!!!!

3. [​IMG]

4. I totally agree with this.

'White privilege' is a clumsily titled notion. Whilst it obviously exists I do understand people's immediate objection to it. That's not to say they are right just that getting people to understand something which is so easily parodied or dismissed is always going to be tricky. A concept that repeatedly needs explaining to the very people it's aimed at is not one that's working.

It's needs rebranding like gay marriage. So much harder to argue with marriage equality.

5. This whole combination of posts is art.

londonrain likes this.
  6. LTG

LTG

Only 14,000 signed up as registered supporters, but apparently over 100,000 new members:

7. LTG

LTG

I don’t think it’s a bad idea in and of itself, but it’s probably the easiest to move but also what’s the point? They’re the less important of the two chambers and ideas don’t really come from the Lords.

Moving the Commons and governmental departments would probably have much more of an impact, but obviously would be harder to implement.

At least elect the Lords before moving them somewhere else.

Eric Generic likes this.
  8. It's purely a superficial move. It means absolutely nada.

lob0to and LTG like this.
  9. I was thinking on a more practical level that the Parliament if rapidly running out of room and moving the Lords elsewhere may actually free up space and allow for some much needed refurbishments.

Has anyone else been inside? It's a total mess. Looks like it was last decorated before the war.

10. Sounds like justification for HS2

Eric Generic likes this.
  11. LTG

LTG

They’ve already agreed to move out of the Commons for about 10 years. To a building slightly down Whitehall in a model of the Commons.

[​IMG]

Given the opportunity to experiment with different locations or even changing the seating arrangements, the lack of fucking imagination is astounding.

acl and Eric Generic like this.
  12. LTG

LTG

The justification for HS2 is freeing up capacity for commuter trains across the West Coast Main Line.

13. They’re talking about scraping the London to Birmingham portion and just doing the northern bit.

14. LTG

LTG

The latest talk is potentially carrying on with the high speed rail to Birmingham, then just go with conventional lines for the rest of the route.

15. LTG

LTG

BBC News is a failed organisation.

lob0to, acl, Sam and 2 others like this.
  16. Why the FUCK did they "grade" immigration on a curve and not as an absolute? Nothing is going to alarm the general public than a graph with red splashed all over it. Fucking alarmists.

Blond, Sam, toby3000 and 6 others like this.
  17. Also nawt Labour taking my £25 before approving me as a registered supporter. Whew a racket.

18. LTG

LTG

Labour taking their time reviewing your application while your £25 is plugging their debts

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.