What Kind Of Fuckery Is This? - UK Politics General Discussion | Page 486 | The Popjustice Forum

What Kind Of Fuckery Is This? - UK Politics General Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Baby Clyde, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks for this! I've been reading how to vote as an overseas resident. It's worded quite strangely on the GOV website but I think it implies I can vote in any constituency as long as I have someone willing to proxy vote for me in said constituency so this is really useful.

2. Check out her new do. What sort of 90's lesbian Eleganza?

3. I loathe how little humility there is in the British Press.

Farron's ambiguity over 'gay sex=sin' doesn't faze me (probably because my parents are evangelists), but I'll be going Green as Caroline is a feisty minx and we love her on the Muesli Mountain in Brighton.

4. Why do people keep saying this?? He abstained from the third reading of the equal marriage act and actually voted for amendments to the bill to let registrars refuse to marry same sex couples. And that's even after you "forgive" his ideological ugliness re: non-hetero sex etc (which I could never do).

Considering they'd obviously be willing to go into coalition with May, a vote for the Lib Dems is directly playing into the most right-wing, nationalistic, socially regressive government in generations. They're trash. What's ~telling is that the Guardian types are salivating over their completely banal lip-service-liberal soundbitery when in practicality we already know they'd be happy to get into an even more damaging coalition than last time.

acl and Mikey1701 like this.
  5. Errrrr...? Not after it almost extinguished their party completely.

6. ?!? That seems extremely optimistic. He's repeatedly refused to say he wouldn't this week (whereas he's said point-blank they wouldn't go into coalition with Corbyn), and when he became leader he pretty much said he'd be happy to. It'd work in their interests and probably in the Tories' too, to have the Lib Dems there in a p.r. Brexit middle-man role.

Point is they just say whatever. It's their sole consistent feature as a party.

acl and swim like this.
  7. So they are pre-occupied with pleasing Guardian reading liberals AND they are frothing at the mouth homophobes who would remove rights for gays?

*sowhatisthetruth.oprah.gif*

The reality is that Farron is one person in the party that has religious views completely at odds with policy. If he actually tried to enact any of those views as policy the Lib Dem he'd be a gonner.

And the Lib Dems are not going into coalition with the Conservatives. That's because the Conservatives only need to not lose seats in order to have a clear majority. And them losing seats is becoming a statistical impossibility.

The pros of voting Lib Dem are about sending a message to both the Conservatives and Labour that hard Brexit isn't the only route. I follow politics and I *still* don't know what the Labour position on Brexit is.

I wish the Lib Dems they'd drop their impractical position of "No Brexit" because its democratically unobtainable at this point - but my theory is that they only took that position because they *assumed* (quite reasonably) that Labour would take the middle ground position of remaining in the single market, but otherwise leaving the EU.

My frustration with UK politics right now is that Conservatives and Lib Dems are adopting two extreme positions regarding Europe and no one is taking the centre ground and arguing for the Danish model.

So I'm currently in agreement with Caroline Lucas. Labour, Greens and Lib Dems should form a Progressive Alliance that makes the clear and consistent argument for remaining in the single market.

But May pulling a fast one means there probably isn't time for logistical planning involved in making that a reality.

The best outcome I can hope for then is for Labour to lose enough seats to trigger Corbyn's resignation, but Lib Dems pick up enough seats to not give Conservatives an increased majority.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    phoenix123, andru and MiChiMadNesS like this.
  8. RJF

RJF

The Daily Mail headline makes me glow with pride and quake with fear as a Scottish person teebs. C'mon highland clearances in 2017!

9. I'm so glad y'all can simply up and leave this mess.

Watch your re-entry to the EU be expedited simply so they can laugh at our continuing failure.

acl and RJF like this.
  10. Who do you vote for when they're all frauds, opportunists and liars? I probably won't vote.

11. RJF

RJF

Not if Theresa May CRUSHES our saboteur asses. Perhaps we are her inner saboteur?

12. And how does not voting help the situation?

13. I mean I'll be honest, Tim Farron's views on homosexuality don't exactly keep me up at night. I was just correcting your implication that it hadn't impacted upon his voting record in any way. (I agree with most of the rest of this post by the way! Except if I was English I'd be comfortable just buckling up and voting Labour, unless I could get away with Green.)

14. Watch Theresa refuse to grant another referendum and then Mhairi Black flour-bomb her during PMQs.

15. I would love to see that.

I've met Mhairi and she's lovely. Really down to Earth.

16. RJF

RJF

ddd Mhairi Black is actually the MP for the area I grew up in so probably.

17. And how does voting for someone I don't want to vote for?

phoenix123 likes this.
  18. RJF

RJF

19. GREEN.

Tribal Spaceman and Shockbox like this.
  20. The Greens are cute, but then car-crashes like this from the last election show how awful they'd actually be running the country.

Still the most horrifying/embarrassing trainwreck interview I have ever heard.

"£2.7bn to build 500,000 homes? What are they made of... plywood?!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.