What Kind Of Fuckery Is This? - UK Politics General Discussion | Page 515 | The Popjustice Forum

What Kind Of Fuckery Is This? - UK Politics General Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Baby Clyde, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This reminds me something else annoying about the current system. As a citizen currently not residing in the UK (or the Eurozone) because enough time has passed (over a year) if I do wish to pursue a Masters in my home country I will have to pay the international student fees because, as far as the university system is concerned, resident status overrides citizen status and I cannot regain my resident status unless I, again as far as the university system is concerned, have resided in the UK again for three consecutive years...three.
    If it was just one I would consider waiting it out (and understand since that's the amount of time it takes to lose the status) but three years is far to harsh and is bad for business on their part as well. I think most citizens in my position wouldn't pay international fees in the UK on principle. If I'm going to have to pay international fees I'm going to do it outside of the UK and it will probably work out cheaper anyway.

Leopold and penghuwan like this.
  2. To those who don't support free or almost free tuition what do you think about the negligible tuition fees in Germany? Isn't that working out? Or is it more of an ideological opposition? Of course German universities are much less lavish than in the U.S (and I assume the U.K) so such a change would involve a rethink of the university experience.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    acl and Leopold like this.
  3. Given the NHS, social care for the elderly and disabled, secondary school education budgets are pushed to the limits, I really don't think its priority number one for the state to fund all degrees, and be compelled to bankroll say someone who feels it’s their calling in life to study interpretative dance at university, or even pursue softer degree subjects (for which I will not list here, as I’m not wanting to offend anyone).

Eric Generic likes this.
  4. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I'd like to see a whole shake-up of the education system. As a teacher I see so many young people completely baffled by the whole process. Not every person knows exactly what they want to do in life at the age of 16-17, and there are so many options out there. They should be encouraged to explore in their own time.

You can go to university at any age, but there is pressure to continue the education process immediately after finishing school, which does not suit everyone.

Pretty much my opinions on the current political climate in a nutshell.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  5. I see the irony of posting this on a music forum......

6. This is extra

7. Ddddd sis which of your faves studied pop music at uni?

8. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I love that everything comes back to pop music.
    [​IMG]

Smooth Criminal, Sam and Leader Beans like this.
  9. I have to say, as a German I was quite happy to finish university without a single penny of student debt.

10. Just don't want to get into the whole 'arts degrees are useless!' POV this implies.

11. SBK

SBK

I've always found it strange that we expect doctors and nurses to pay for their qualifications. They're providing a service to the country, and the new junior doctor's contract requires (that was/is being forced through?) they have to work for the NHS for 4 years after qualifying.

Is that how supply and demand work in Tory Britain? You supply, we demand money and labour?

acl likes this.
  12. Hasn't this always been the case for everyone though?

Hopefully not the doctors amongst us

mump boy likes this.
  13. Just to add, it really isn't "DEBT debt". It affects nothing in your life (zero impact on mortgage applications, loans, credit scores etc) and is simply a small tax that will likely go to the grave with you.

I've known people who have overpaid for years to try and clear it, which kind of baffled me...

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Square likes this.
  14. What are you meant to do when the main parties are all so full of shit?

Eric Generic likes this.
  15. SBK

SBK

If only we had strong, stable leadership to protect us against such attacks!

16. Vote Green.

17. Sam

Sam

Great idea!

18. VOTE GREEN!

Leader Beans likes this.
  19. SBK

SBK

If you live in Brighton. Vote something else if you live anywhere else.

20. #TeamJeremy perhaps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.