What Kind Of Fuckery Is This? - UK Politics General Discussion | Page 757 | The Popjustice Forum

What Kind Of Fuckery Is This? - UK Politics General Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Baby Clyde, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Exactly. And the Troubles weren't contained to just Northern Ireland... There were bombs in England too. It's a very recent history and they are playing with fire.

The backstop was initially Northern Ireland only until DUP twisted May's arm who then made a whole UK backstop an alternative. The DUP seem happy to sell us off down the river... And have such disproportionate power.

2. THERESA'S TRIUMPH!

I mean, FFS.....credit us all with some bloody intelligence.

londonrain, mcuk and Fantasy like this.
  3. LTG

LTG

The backstop is actually Theresa’s triumph. The EU wanted a Northern Ireland-only backstop, keeping them in the customs union and much of the single market if no trade deal is arranged by the end of the transition period. The DUP told May that wasn’t acceptable to them because they don’t want regulatory difference between NI and GB.

May went to Europe and negotiated a UK wide backstop, saying we'll all stay in the same regulatory framework until we reach a trade deal to ensure a soft border on the island of Ireland. But the Tories blow their nut. And so do the DUP.

Brexit is whack

londonrain, Fantasy and Eric Generic like this.

4. There are two English women beside me in the airport, talking about how dramatic the Irish are being about Brexit. It won't be all doom and gloom apparently.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  5. David Coburn makes me ashamed to be Scottish and Gay.

6. I've heard this is the attitude of quite a few people in England.

The Irish are not being dramatic at all. Why the hell should we be collateral damage for something we never even had a say in?

Clearly these people have no idea about the situation on this island or its history. We have experienced 20 years of peace, why should we give that up for a Tory Little Englander Brexit?

7. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Moderator

I mean this is what history will look back on, the English elite being selfish and arrogant, whipping up the xenophobia created by the political class ignoring the concept of integration (of the UK into the EU and of foreign nationals into the UK) since always and weaponising it into ammunition for a Tory party spat over who’s the most bigoted.

And whatever the Welsh were playing at, I guess.

8. I guess it partly came down to ‘poundshop patriotism’ (stretching no further than the Welsh rugby team and a pretend hatred of the English). Also a lack of established diversity to quash bigoted views, combined with a festering disillusionment and resentment with roots in Thatcher’s devastating economic impact (which we never recovered from, or ever will).

acl and londonrain like this.
  9. I watched this interesting video about a declining town in Wales that voted to leave, despite EU funds being used to revitalise it.

What I got from it is that some leave voters did it for a sense of sovereignty, although they can't really elaborate on what that means. Others are convinced that EU immigrants are simultaneously stealing all of the jobs and claiming benefits. Maybe we should all get tips from these immigrants, I could certainly do with the bump in income.

I cannot with that Polish guy who thinks the EU is terrible, when he wouldn't have been able to get to the UK legally without it.

acl, phily693, Kuhleezi and 3 others like this.
  10. Ain't this the scalding hot tea?

"We want our Sovereignty!!!"
    "Do you know what that means, tho?"
    "..."

11. Fucking idiots. I don't have any sympathy for people who vote irrationally and have still made no attempt to educate themselves on the issues. Vote remain in the next referendum and then rot. Tarra x

12. Came across this and don't know whether to cry or laugh at the accuracy.

[​IMG]

13. Brexit is what happens when you give democracy to thick people.

14. I cannot believe that stuff like this is allowed to happen in the house of parliament of all places. Westminster is an absolute shit show and I don't blame the SNP in the slightest for wanting Scotland to cut ties with it.

Eric Generic and Mikl C like this.

15. Bradley and Susan found relieved

Sam de Jour likes this.
  16. A lot of the poor regions of Wales are old coal-mining and industry led towns, which means they have much more in common with the 'left behind' English towns that voted to leave, despite those areas often having the strongest sense of Welsh identity and nationalism

I imagine a lot of the leave voters in Wales are a result of decades of being ignored by any UK government and blindly voting for Labour at any given opportunity, meaning that they are such red safe-havens that they don't even need to try and change anything for the better. Wales was the first colony of England, and it will likely be the last

Alongside that, being such a relatively poor country coupled with poor education levels and high readership of trash UK red tops, it's very easy to see how Wales votes against its best interests. People literally refuse to believe that Wales is a net beneficiary of EU funding, when it's literally all around them. It's political manipulation at its worst.

Sentiments are rising for Welsh independence, but as someone said above, I wonder how much of it is a poundland style that doesn't extend much beyond rugby.

mcuk, Ashling92 and ZombieJam like this.
  17. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Moderator

Eh, I’d say Brexit is what happens when you give a platform to relics of colonialism proponents. The likes of Boris, Farage, Rees-Mogg and Gove all feel like they came from the Victorian era. Nicholas Soames has been an MP for decades, the spirit of Churchill is still alive and well. The lack of effective campaigning from the remain side (their argument basically boiled down to “you should know this is good for you. Idiots.”) coupled with that kind of tub thumping from right wing gammons and stern schoolmasters just means people who probably had no opinion of the EU were led to blame it for all their problems.

18. This is so it.

[​IMG]

19. I think the thing that drives me most crazy about leave voters is their outrage at the whole “unelected jews bureaucrats” thing while being perfectly content with our own government, which is also appointed, not elected. We don’t even get to vote for our leader. But the continental boogeyman is unelected! Scary.

acl, Overdose, Fantasy and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.