What was the first single and album you bought? | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

What was the first single and album you bought?

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Tommy Johnson, Mar 13, 2017.

1. The first album I got was Spice Girls - Spice. The first single I got was Madonna - Die Another Day, which is also the only single I ever bought I think (they were never particularly popular here as far as I recall).

2. The first CD that I specifically asked for was TLC's FanMail when I was 4 or 5. My parents took me to K-Mart to get it (thankfully they had the clean version). I got ...Baby One More Time not long after that.

I don't remember what my first single actually was, but the first CD single I remember coming across was the UK import single of "No Scrubs" that had "Waterfalls" and "Creep" on it. I wondered why they had a CD with only three tracks on it, and my sister explained to me that it was a single, and that there was a difference between CD singles and albums. To me, at that point they had all just been 'CDs.'

Eric Generic and Vasilios like this.
  3. Single: Since Yesterday by Strawberry Switchblade.

Album: Tiffany by Tiffany.

4. That's quite a gap between formats..almost three years.

5. They're the first ones I actually bought myself. I was only 5 when Since Yesterday was released so didn't really have my own money. I think I saved up the 75p (!!!) For the 7" from Woolworths from the few pence I used to get each time I visited my great grandma. By 1988 I was getting proper pocket money so could start buying LPs.

Vasilios and Eric Generic like this.
  6. There was a quite a price difference back in the day between singles and albums, so it figures.

bichard likes this.
  7. I remember receiving singles and albums as gifts for my birthday or Sinterklaas (Dutch Santa Claus) from late 70's, early 80's, mostly ABBA. First album I bought myself was Frida's Something Going On, first single Agnetha's The Heat Is On.

Vasilios and bichard like this.
  8. My first single was Cher - Shoop Shoop song on cassette when I was 7 years old and the 1992 Greatest Hits was my first album.

After that I remember it was a race for Christmas number 1 between Mariah and Michael Jackson (Earth Song). My brother got Earth Song (flop taste) and I chose All I Want For Christmas Is You. Such flawless taste from the word dot.

Txetxu, Vasilios and bichard like this.
  9. I had to really, really love an artist to buy an album in the 80s as my pocket money was only enough to buy singles. I had to either save up for an artist I really loved (Madonna/Bananarama/5 Star) or be lucky enough to get albums bought for me at Christmas/Easter/when nagging enough and dropping unsubtle hints.

@backstreetjoe was flabbergasted I'd never bought a Kim Wilde album yet bought all her singles.Priorities back then!

10. Two of each (both times).

Singles:

Natalie Casey - Chick Chick Chicken
    +
    Bonnie Tyler - Faster Than The Speed Of Night

Albums:

Tracy Ullman - You Broke My Heart In 17 Places

Paul Young - No Parlez

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Eric Generic likes this.
  11. O dear, it was no 'It's 'orrible being in love when you're Eight and a half' was it?!

Booers, Joanie and Eric Generic like this.
  12. Dionne Warwick - Heartbreaker single
    Shalamar - Friends Album (gatefold sleeve which i used to gaze at often for Jodys luscious hair and tiger print cardy)

13. The first single I was given was Shania Twain "You Win My Love" cassette single.
    The first single I purchased with my own money was Sugar Jones "Days Like That"

The first album I was given was likely ABBA "Gold," although I am not 100% sure on that.
    The first album I purchased with my own money was S Club 7 "S Club"

14. Diana Ross - Chain Reaction
    SAW - Hit Factory 1

15. I believe it was the double LP Grease (SDTK) right after I saw the movie...they had the albums for sale in the lobby!

Vasilios likes this.
  16. First single: Walk Like An Egyptian by The Bangles
    First album: FLM by Mel & Kim

I have a feeling I might have had a Now album on double cassette before FLM. I used to get singles bought for me in Boyes that were 'ex jukebox'

Eric Generic and Vasilios like this.
  17. Don’t remember seeing that, but it’s good marketing. No wonder it was #1 for months.

18. This may be my favorite thread ever.

First 7” single: Bette Davis Eyes, Kim Carnes
    First 12” single: I Melt With You, Modern English
    First Vinyl Record: Abba, Voulez-Vous
    First CD album: Soundtrack to "To Live and Die in LA" (I didn’t yet have a CD player)
    First make-out session with another boy; B-52’s Cosmic Thing

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    nnnumb and Tommy Johnson like this.
  19. First Cassette Single - Rednex, Cotton Eyed Joe.

First Cassette Album - Deuce, On The Loose.

First CD single - Human League, One Man In My Heart.

First CD Album - Now 32. Or Michael Jackson History.

I still have all of them!

WhipperSnapper and Eric Generic like this.
  20. That Was...1995.

WhipperSnapper likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.