Where did it all go wrong for The X Factor? | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Where did it all go wrong for The X Factor?

Discussion in 'The X Factor' started by MrJames, Dec 4, 2017.

1. It’s stale and dated and needs to be put out of its misery.

The only person that doesn’t understand this is Simon Cowell!

2. That’s because Simon Cowell is stale and dated and needs to be put out of his misery.

LivingLoife, joe_alouder, Rob and 9 others like this.
  3. This is absolutely true - in fact, Strictly and BGT are two of the few "reality competition" shows to consistently retain their viewers, even without "twists", "revamps" and "judge shake-ups"... but why?

Simply put...

- each follows a standard format that is hardly ever tampered with, resulting in comfort for viewers (they know what they're getting)
    - each has a finite and definite prize - on Strictly, you get a trophy and return to open the following series. On BGT you appear at that year's Royal Variety Performance. Both are very much tangible and apply to every winner without prejudice. Compare this with X-Factor's "recording contract" which can equally apply to a Leona Lewis global launch and a Louisa Johnson development-hell scenario. It simply doesn't seem "fair" to viewers, which puts many off
    - each has a set number of episodes which rarely expands or contracts (viewers know what they're committing to)
    - each series is structured to become more compulsive as the show progresses (higher ratings at the end versus the beginning), while also allowing viewers to dip in and out of episodes easily (X-Factor is almost the antithesis of this approach)
    - each series has a panel that operates as "family" with genuine light-hearted humour - no mean-spirited quarrelling or lack of chemistry - again, something that The X-Factor has struggled to maintain until recently...

The X-Factor is full-on broken as a format and cannot be "rescued" (though I also appreciate that its solid if unspectacular ratings make ITV reluctant to seek a replacement...)

LivingLoife, aniraz and Txetxu like this.
  4. It used to be a Popjustice! So many emerging stars (or so we thought). Seems ridiculous now...

5. Didn’t this sub forum open when the the people behind Popjustice launched the short-lived-but-moderately-fun X Factor magazine?

kermit_the_frog likes this.
  6. To be fair it has given us: Leona, Alexandra, JLS, One Direction (together and solo) Ella Henderson, Cher Lloyd, Rebecca Fergusson, Rak-Su, Little Mix, Shayne Ward, Fleur East, Louisa Johnson, Union J, Diana Vickers, James Arthur, Amelia Lily, Misha B, Joe McElderry and Saara Aalto.

Fifth Harmony too I guess

They may not have all sustained success but most (all?) have kept recording/releasing music in some way with some great pop along the way.

LivingLoife, 31entrance, DMDR and 3 others like this.
  7. I was shocked to see recently that Union J are threatening to release new music after all these years. Their debut is solid boyband pop. We don't talk about the second album. It seems even they hate it as it has been removed from all streaming platforms!

8. In its heyday every live show weekend and almost every finalist was worthy of its own thread.

9. They need Dannii on the panel. End of.

DISCO_HEART likes this.
  10. Ageee ! But I think the show is truly dead now .

11. 2014

2014 Moderator

The Dannii hyperbole still/?!

SecretsOfFatima and Rhombus like this.
  12. I went to get Thai food last night and they had what appeared to be X Factor Thailand on the TV, and, well, this was happening:

[​IMG]

No idea who this man on the right is, but a singing apple!? It went forever as well.

13. I haven't seen the Thai version but I think this is The Mask Singer not X Factor haha. It's originally a Korean show about established singers competing in ridic elaborate costumes to hide their identity so there's no bias from the judges.

14. I only watch for the annual Little Mix performance.

Do they still bring big names to the live shows?

15. she’s great aye

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.