Whigfield - Saturday Night | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Whigfield - Saturday Night

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ChrisJay, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Do the verses remind anyone else of Konichiwa Bitches by Robyn?

Caleo23 likes this.
  2. Forcing myself to like this, because Whigfield, not quite there yet.

DiscoIgor07 likes this.
  3. I can't even force myself to like it because Whigfield. It's no Sexy Eyes is it?

JamieHT and Omead like this.
  4. It’s horrendous. I can’t even deal with it.
    Going to play Think Of You now and remember happier times...

idratherjack likes this.
  5. I didn't even make it through one play. And I love Whigfield!

DiscoIgor07 likes this.

6. ....This will make it all better

JamieHT and idratherjack like this.
  7. I know there needs to be growth etc but surely someone can whip up a nostalgic remix.

Also it reminds me a bit of "like a G6".

8. She has tried time and again with the nostalgia route, and produced some pretty stellar credible stuff as we seen with 'W' and especially the Sannie material, so I think this is a deliberate 'shock value' attempt to get the Whigfield name back out there.

zephyr likes this.
  9. (I know I'm quite late into this conversation but) I just figured at the time that they thought that six singles from a ten track album was probably pushing it, especially when the last one underperformed. The UK also was particularly, and if truth be told, remains so, snobby about European pop music, there's not many examples I can think of where there's been radio support beyond the one album. You could also have presumed that going forward into 1996 that Europop was going to struggle competing againt Britpop (turned out that it wasn't the case at all, pop was just about to come back big).

As for the second album, we would have probably got at least the lead single if MTV Europe was still broadcast in the UK - but MTV UK launched mid-1997 and boom there goes almost all Euro music in favour of UK/US based tracks.

One of my favourite things to this day is putting Sexy Eyes on, seeing who is singing along, and then telling them that it's Whigfield and watch them in utter disbelief. NOOOO WAY they cry. Literally everybody Scottish person in their 30s and older knows it, but almost none of them ever knows that it was Whigfield.

idratherjack and Caleo23 like this.
  10. Sexy Eyes does feel like it was a big hit doesn't it?

I am sure that is down to a lot of club play, I used to hear it out in straight and gay clubs for years. When I worked in a record store in the late 90s I got asked if we had it sooo many times.

11. I presume everyone who went abroad on holiday in 1996-1999 probably heard Sexy Eyes every night of it too.

12. She did the steps routine for the first time.

FrancoisDit likes this.
  13. Whiggy is on Sky News right now talking about Saturday Night (show is Kay Burley @ Breakfast)

14. She’s looking good. I’m looking forward to see her live lockdown performance on Saturday. Guess it will be on her Facebook.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Gioroll and The_Rani like this.
  15. Whiggy talking about "sometimes when you're in the studio" about a song she doesn't even perform on. ddd

CatastropheBoy likes this.
  16. It was inescapable in Australia for about 6 months. It was her 'Saturday Night' (which flopped here) here.

idratherjack likes this.
  17. Yeah I’m not sure how she isn’t cringing taking the plaudits.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.