Whitney Houston - General Discussion | Page 140 | The Popjustice Forum

Whitney Houston - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by MissGhettoFabulous, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Maybe I'm just a hopeless fangirl, but it's been nice hearing Whitney on the radio again. Maybe it's an Australian thing, but I feel like there's been a renewed appreciation for her (peerless) output over the past couple of years that was sadly muted in the initial years following her passing.

2. One of Those Days, Love That Man and Unashamed are the trinity from Just Whitney.

3. Just Whitney has some strong tracks. Her issues were really taking over, the Diane Sawyer interview is what people remember most about that era but some great songs as @Smooth Criminal mentioned. The only song I didn't care for was her remake of You Light Up My Life.

Eric Generic and johnoclock like this.
  4. 3Xs

3Xs

This was a classic too. Nice to have something smooth and a bit more understated from her.

Tchelitchew and Pop Life like this.
  5. Listening to Whitney’s debut album on my old original vinyl and I’m 13 again singing into my hairbrush.

WhatKindOfKylie? and johnoclock like this.
  6. Probably the top 3 I agree.

7. 'Never Give Up' is very underrated and got lost in a slightly superfluous greatest hits release.

I'm curious to see how many other tracks from the I Look to You sessions we will get over the next few years. I can imagine that it might be the one era where there is more than one or two unheard songs from the cutting room floor.

8. I think "Dear John Letter" and "Million Dollar Bill" are the best tracks Whitney released post-'Greatest Hits'.

torontodj and Eric Generic like this.
  9. Shame there is not much in the Whitney vaults music wise.

10. There isn't that much, but there at least a handful of songs from the earlier eras and probably more from the Just Whitney and I Look to You sessions, which ran on much longer. Although hopefully they're better than 'Never Give Up', which was awful!

11. There isn't that much, but there at least a handful of songs from the earlier eras and probably more from the Just Whitney and I Look to You sessions, which ran on much longer. Although hopefully they're better than 'Never Give Up', which was awful!

12. I agree that I Look To You probably had the most material recorded, which we may hear over time. I just worry that if what made the album was the best they had - whatever is left may not be all that great.

13. I would like to watch a documental about her, I see there are two available on Netflix, which one should I choose?

14. My Love Is Your Love is one of my absolute faves. I remember buying it in WH Smiths when I was 15 and feeling really grown up! It's something I'd love to be able to add to my vinyl collection, but I've never seen it at a reasonable price.

I Look To You peters out a bit towards the end, but the first half feels really strong, and Just Whitney is better than I remember it being. Not sure where my CD is and looking at it on Spotify - was Whatchulookinat not on there in its original form? The Spotify version just has the remix.

Her 2000 Greatest Hits album was amazing and I loved that it was split into Cool Down/Throw Down! Fine and Same Script, Different Cast were great additions.

Poor Whitney - gone too soon, but what a legacy she left behind.

15. Both documentaries are very watchable if not extremely sobering. Of the two, "Whitney" seemed to have the most credit from her occasionally-problematic family. Regardless, I would encourage you to compliment watching either with a smattering of live performances and music videos to remember how awe-struck and generally amazing she made all of us feel.

16. Whitney was a good watch, but yes it is a quite a somber experience. It left me feeling "What a waste" after I saw it.

17. I’m surprised the confirmation of a lesbian relationship with her closest lifelong friend didn’t make the headlines.

18. I still stan Whatchulookinat and don’t care what anyone says. It may not have been what the public wanted from her but it’s a bop.

WhatKindOfKylie? and MarkAnthony like this.
  19. I hesitate to speculate further about her personal life but maybe it was a case of everyone basically knowing already?

Eric Generic likes this.
  20. It is a bop, can't deny that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.