Whitney Houston

So I think because of the movie (and also my tendency to just...do this sort of thing) I've been in an intense Whitney rabbit hole for the last few weeks. One of the things I'll never understand is why Love Will Save The Day never got an official video - was it for like, campaign budget reasons?

She was touring in the months before 'Love Will Save the Day' was released so presumably there wasn't time to shoot a video (note the semi-'tour performance' video for 'So Emotional', presumably for the same reasons). In the UK I don't think we even got the live video for 'Love Will Save the Day' - there was no video at all.

However, that doesn't explain why 'Didn't We Almost Have It All' also didn't have a proper video, given they could have shot one before the single was released and the tour kicked off. Strange strategy on the part of Arista for such a high-profile album campaign.

She was touring in the months before 'Love Will Save the Day' was released so presumably there wasn't time to shoot a video (note the semi-'tour performance' video for 'So Emotional', presumably for the same reasons). In the UK I don't think we even got the live video for 'Love Will Save the Day' - there was no video at all.

However, that doesn't explain why 'Didn't We Almost Have It All' also didn't have a proper video, given they could have shot one before the single was released and the tour kicked off. Strange strategy on the part of Arista for such a high-profile album campaign.
I really hate that so called video for Didn't We Almost Have It All. Probably because hate what she's wearing!

I really hate that so called video for Didn't We Almost Have It All. Probably because hate what she's wearing!

THIS ICONICNESS???

836023_CSFXYW7BSV5AXNFZDRG15Y1RK6MRLH_whitney-houston-1987_H115600_L.jpg

I can understand why they chose the video for Didn't We Almost Have It All since it was probably cheaper to film a concert sequence. But it also gave fans who hadn't had the chance yet to see Whitney on stage. It's a great version.

The “problem” with the Didn’t We Almost Have It All video is the the live version is not the studio version, it’s more of a slow soul version. It’s a stunning version that was never released on cd or vinyl if I’m not wrong.

Yes, because she changed the game tempo so they kept the original video. I was not a big Whitters fan back then (Madonna jealousy) but I remember feeling in awe of how she sung that effortlessly and with new melodies.

Wasn't this the Commotion video? Also live. At least it's what we had in Greece.

RainOnFire

Staff member
I'm not familiar with her best live moments outside of a select few, so I'm listening to Whitney Houston Live: Her Greatest Performances for the first time - does anyone think any major ones were excluded or did the album get the tracklist right?

Reactions: aux