Who do you want for Xmas number one? Jeff Buckley or Alexandra?

Oh yeah I heard about thatm wasnlt he nominated for some award recently too like an MTV one or something?

That wouldn't be number one at Christmas though but definitely has the potential to be a number one at some point, even out of pure comedy/nostalgic reasons which is fine by me.

It would be funny if we had the pwer to make something just really random out of no where get to number one, with no promotion, media or nothing & Simon Cowell be shocked into oblivion.

Something like Kris Kross or something lol

Didn't Moyles and co have a go the week that the chart rules were changed to allow downloands? I believe "Honey to the B" made it to the low 20s that week, in a gesture of love to Billie Piper.

In a similar vein, Moyles and Jo Wiley had a bet on whether Gogol Bordello could crack the charts or not. They didn't.

If we're into a campaign to making something chart for the hell of it, I nominate "If Jeff Buckley had lived" by The Indelicates would be timely.

I'm fine with people downloading the original to make a point, it's just ridiculous to start having a go at Alexandra for the cover when it clearly wasn't her choice.

I don't think people who are trying to rebel against X-Factor realise that it's drawing attention to her version as well as the other though. A clear campaign of idiocy from The Sun.

H

Hot_Mess29

Has Geraldine Mcqueen/Peter Kay flopped? Its just so christmasy and ITS NEW i thought it at least deserves top 10.

cryingblood said:
I'm fine with people downloading the original to make a point, it's just ridiculous to start having a go at Alexandra for the cover when it clearly wasn't her choice.

Oh definitley!

cryingblood said:
I don't think people who are trying to rebel against X-Factor realise that it's drawing attention to her version as well as the other though. A clear campaign of idiocy from The Sun.

I'm not sure it's doing that however, I think people will decide for themselves wether they think Alex's version is good or not.

I'm a Catholic and this song does nothing for me.

It'd be nice if they'd at least released a song about wise men and mangers, or something...

I would have assumed that the people who are most vocal about X Factor monopolising the Christmas Number One are doing so because they are of the belief that a song should chart based on merit rather than promotion or publicity. If that's the case then why didn't he reach number one when the song was first released?

Don't get me wrong, I love the song and have had his version for ages, even before I was aware that is would be released as an X Factor Winner's single, I just don't understand this music snobbery that surrounds Reality TV winners. History has proven that only the strongest survive and those that are not up to scratch sink without a trace within a year (I won't bother naming names as it's my first post after a three year break and I don't want to incure the wrath of any fans) therefore leaving their argument that Simon Cowell et el. are taking over the industry null and void.

D

debord

I don't think it does render it null and void, because the effect that shows like X Factor have on music is a lot wider than just the contestant(s) that it produces, and the question of the rights and wrongs of it are a lot wider than just it giving 'unfair' promotion to the winner's single. As I said earlier, I think just dismissing all criticism of this format as 'snobbery' is just as reactionary as those who do dismiss it offhand because of concerns over 'real music'.

But is it not fair to say that the effect that these kind of shows have on the music business is positive? I'm no music industry expert but I'd have assumed that the money that acts like Leona and Girls Aloud bring in to record companies eventually filters down to sub divisions of the wider organisation to allow for investment in more experimental bands or musicians that would never have been given the chance without the profit these acts bring in.

D

debord

BoySean said:
But is it not fair to say that the effect that these kind of shows have on the music business is positive? I'm no music industry expert but I'd have assumed that the money that acts like Leona and Girls Aloud bring in to record companies eventually filters down to sub divisions of the wider organisation to allow for investment in more experimental bands or musicians that would never have been given the chance without the profit these acts bring in.

Well you could say that more experimental bands/musicians managed very well before reality tv came along, no? And sure, it can be argued that they have a positive effect. But the opposite can also be argued. It's not an argument that I particularly want to have as there is no right or easy answer and it's incredibly complex, I'm just saying that I think dismissing critics as 'snobs' is not fair in my opinion.

Dismissing people because they came from a TV show is snobbery as far as I can see. Does it really matter where an act comes from as long as they have talent? And, no, it's not an argument I want either, I guess I'm just ranting against this petty hysteria of buying a song to prevent another from getting to number one. As I said in my first post, if it was as good as people are claiming it would have reached the top spot on its initial release.

D

debord

It's never been released as a single, and in any case I don't think 'if it's great it will go to number one' is remotely true.