Who do you want for Xmas number one? Jeff Buckley or Alexandra?

NadineCoylesBeatch said:
Tribal Spaceman said:
I'm a Catholic and this song does nothing for me.

It'd be nice if they'd at least released a song about wise men and mangers, or something...

And that matters because?

Since it's a song full of Old Testament imagery (see unnameable's post on it), possibly comparing romantic love with love for God, and has a title that means "Praise the Lord", it could be more significant than for other pop songs.

In HMV Piccadilly late last night the played Buckley's whole Grace album. I'm ashamed to say I haven't heard it, so when this song came on it felt so good. It's so low-key and non-presumptuous.

AugustMoon said:
NadineCoylesBeatch said:
Tribal Spaceman said:

It'd be nice if they'd at least released a song about wise men and mangers, or something...

Since it's a song full of Old Testament imagery (see unnameable's post on it), possibly comparing romantic love with love for God, and has a title that means "Praise the Lord", it could be more significant than for other pop songs.

I know what the songs about, I just don't think people should automatically think they should 'like' a song just because it has religious connotations for their certain religion.

D

debord

AugustMoon said:
NadineCoylesBeatch said:
Tribal Spaceman said:

In HMV Piccadilly late last night the played Buckley's whole Grace album. I'm ashamed to say I haven't heard it, so when this song came on it felt so good. It's so low-key and non-presumptuous.

It needs a KEY CHANGE.

Obviously I am joking.

I already own Jeff Buckley's album, so therefore will not be buying his version of Hallelujah.

Now, at the end of the day, nobody can deny the fact that it is a great song (and by this I mean the ORIGINAL version), if it wasn't it wouldn't have been covered over 100 times. But, and I don't mean to be controversial here, but we all know why people are campaigning for Buckley's version to go to Xmas number one... IT'S BECAUSE HE'S DEAD. Wouldn't it be amazing if a dead man could be Xmas number one? Well no, not really. It achieves nothing.

We seem to have a habit of making legends out of people who wouldn't have always been a legend. I am not saying that Jeff Buckley wasn't an incredible musician because he was, and Grace is one of my favourite albums ever, but a lot of people's success is elevated by the fact that they're dead - Kurt Cobain, Elliott Smith and definitely Nick Drake.

Now, what are the odds on an X Factor version of Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit or Nick Drake's 'River Man' next year?

debord said:
AugustMoon said:
NadineCoylesBeatch said:
Tribal Spaceman said:

It needs a KEY CHANGE.

Obviously I am joking.

We'll get Louis & his boys onto it cause obviously they are original & creative.

Alex is great I have to say and it is going to be pretty mental if Jeff Buckley does make it to number 1, as much as I would like him to. I've seen his Best Of album is coming out on 5th of Jan with Hallelujah on it, so I'm saving my pennies for that (",)

F

Former member 330

My problem with all this is quite simply this; Alexandra Burke is not going to be number one. X Factor is going to be number one. The fact that any of the 12 finalists could have released this song, identical but for the vocal over the top, just highlights how little this record is about Alexandra or the arrival of a new 'artist'. This record being number one is a mockery of 'British Pop Music' because it's nothing more than a light entertainment, Saturday night telly tie-in record. It isn't artistically valuable or even a great recording and the other 12 versions sat in the studio are as useless and worthless as Alexandra's version. Jeff Buckley's version was something of a signature tune he performed live regularly and has gone on to be highly praised since his death. I can't see Alexandra's back catalogue still selling like hotcakes or providing inspiration 20 years after her demise, nor do I see her being an icon in anyway. She won a karaoke competition on the telly, like all those before her, and this record is as special as a tin of beans.

I think it's bloody terrible that there are THREE versions of this song in the charts. Fuck sake. I personally like the Buckley one (his best song for me is Nightmares By The Sea) but I do agree it's daft to try and beat Alexandra using Jeff as a weapon against Simon Cowell and his dominance over the Christmas charts. It'll happen eventually and it will probably be a song like Mad World or something.

D

debord

anfunny2003 said:
My problem with all this is quite simply this; Alexandra Burke is not going to be number one. X Factor is going to be number one. The fact that any of the 12 finalists could have released this song, identical but for the vocal over the top, just highlights how little this record is about Alexandra or the arrival of a new 'artist'. This record being number one is a mockery of 'British Pop Music' because it's nothing more than a light entertainment, Saturday night telly tie-in record. It isn't artistically valuable or even a great recording and the other 12 versions sat in the studio are as useless and worthless as Alexandra's version. Jeff Buckley's version was something of a signature tune he performed live regularly and has gone on to be highly praised since his death. I can't see Alexandra's back catalogue still selling like hotcakes or providing inspiration 20 years after her demise, nor do I see her being an icon in anyway. She won a karaoke competition on the telly, like all those before her, and this record is as special as a tin of beans.

Yes, the thing that gets me about it all is that no-one is raving about Alexandra because of 'Hallelujah' - rather they are raving about 'Hallelujah' because it's by Alexandra. And I think that's a pretty crucial difference (tho, as you say, certainly not one confined to Alexandra, who was the deserved winner).

anfunny2003 said:

*yawn*

Do you you really think the 12 finalists would have done the same version? Did you even listen to JLS's and Alexandra's versions? They weren't even the same instrumental. This is a performer's contest and they are judged for their performances. If you think it is a karaoke competition, that is your opinion, but don't make affirmations that are not even true. Also, who do you think you are to judge that Alexandra's version of this song is not artistically valuable? Everyone has the right to cover 'Hallelujah' and release it (if Leonard Cohen gives his permission) and I bet many people would have criticised Jeff Buckley's version if it had gone to number one at the time.

The true is Jeff Buckley's version is good because of his performance and the way he sang the track so I don't understand your criticism when someone else decides to cover the track in a music programme. Is it less arty than Jeff to do it on X Factor? Aren't they doing the same thing and just covering a song they both love and respect? Why does Jeff deserve to be praised more about this? Because he decided to cover it instead of a TV producer? Get a bit of perspective, I would say.

The funny thing is this is Jeff's most popular song and it is a cover which is exactly what you are criticising there, for someone to be more of a performer, instead of an artist. (and I'm not saying Jeff wasn't an artist, FYI, just that his 'signature' song is a performance of someone else's song)

I personally REALLY like Alexandra's rendition of the song.

Isn't the issue less that Alex is going to get to #1 with a cover and more that she's going to get to CHRISTMAS #1 with a cover?

Guarantee there would be no "JEFF TO THE TOP" campaigns if she'd released this some time in March.

D

debord

I think there would - it's not because someone is doing a cover, it's about X Factor. And it's about the song in particular - it's not as if Kelly Clarkson fans would have had much luck with a campaign to get her number one instead of Leona.

jenleft said:
Wouldn't it be amazing if a dead man could be Xmas number one? Well no, not really. It achieves nothing.
Last time we had a dead man at Christmas number one it kept the KLF from the top spot. Of course, this was too much for poor Tammy to take and six years later she decided to die to get an equivalent sales push.

Did anyone else hear Christian O'Connell on Channel 4 News tonight? He made some valid points about preferring Buckley to Burke but said something along the lines of "You need to have lived a full life in order to fully understand the song and sing it properly. Alexandra is only twenty". Buckley was only twenty-seven when he recorded Hallelujah, that's hardly "a full life" now is it Christian.

I know that this topic has run its course so my comment is more an act of contrition.

I was one of those early cynics. I think it was the thought of a JLS/Eoghan version (with Snappy Snaps T-shirted families) plus a genuine love of the Jeff Buckley version. However Alexandra Burke has won me over. Not only does she sing magnificently but the song has a rare, if vague, Christmas relevance. I take it all back.

debord said:
I think there would - it's not because someone is doing a cover, it's about X Factor. And it's about the song in particular - it's not as if Kelly Clarkson fans would have had much luck with a campaign to get her number one instead of Leona.

Oh, I know the X Factor is the big deal here - but if it was the "Random Week In June #1" that belonged to X Factor, people would neither notice or care.

PushTart said:
debord said:

Oh, I know the X Factor is the big deal here - but if it was the "Random Week In June #1" that belonged to X Factor, people would neither notice or care.

I agree. It's all to do with this ridiculously rose-tinted view people have of the Christmas #1.