Who had the biggest decline in a career? (Musically/Commercially) | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

Who had the biggest decline in a career? (Musically/Commercially)

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Tommy Johnson, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Has Natalie Imbruglia been mentioned? In terms of commercial impact the drop between Left of the Middle and White Lillies Island was huge! (Artistically of course she remained amazing)

AfternoonsInUtopia likes this.
  2. At least Counting Down the Days was still a #1 album. Torn was massive, but she just didn't seem like the next big thing that could sustain a high profile career like some of the other big artists at the time.

3. The long gaps between albums is what did it for Natalie, each one killing any more momentum she could have built up.

AfternoonsInUtopia and Brukar like this.
  4. I love Down Boy!

5. Yes I agree and I don’t think That Day was the right lead for album 2. Wrong Impression would’ve been a better intro to the era.

letuinmybackdoor likes this.
  6. She did smoke like a chimney lol

7. Also, Shiver did really well as a single, I remember it being tagged Torn 2.0. But that was pretty much it, one more single after that, a butchered single version of Counting Down the Days trimmed the song in half, it felt odd listening to those Christmas bells in the middle of summer 2005.

Slamb and biffy77 like this.
  8. Yeah the album version of Counting Down The Days is one of my favourite Natalie tracks. Why they “trimmed” the single version so much I’ve no idea.

biffy77 likes this.
  9. I still haven't forgiven the label for changing their minds and not releasing Sanctuary as the second single. It was perfect for summer!

biffy77 and AshtrayHeart like this.
  10. That was my instant favourite on the album. They definitely should have released it!

biffy77, xondus and Eric Generic like this.
  11. Tinchy Stryder

Ne-Yo

Taio Cruz

Kelly Rowland

Timbaland

Jojo

Keri Hilson

Ashanti

Nelly

Mackelmore (not quite dead as an artist yet but The Heist saw US sales of 1.5 million and The Unruly Mess I Made sees US 250,000)

12. Whitney Houston. Fame and success, drugs and then death.

13. A great many Stock Aitken Waterman artists suffered rather quickly from a career burn out.

14. I'm not really a fan, but Texas managed to break their one-hit wonder status after an underperforming second (and third?) album(s), and managed to release some killer singles in the late 90s (though it was hard to assume it was the same band who had done I Don't Want A Lover, they sounded so different). All I can remember from the new millennium is that song where Sharleen was dressed up as Elvis, can't even remember the name, but I recall they did ok in the first half of the last decade? (Albeit nowhere near their 90s stuff). When did they start to go downhill? I remember a Greatest Hits album was released around that time, so probably just afterwards?

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Eric Generic and Cassandra may like this.
  15. 'Inner smile' was the song that you meant with the Elvis video. They took a long time ff after the Greatest Hits and came back with that woeful 'Carnival girl' which no one in their fan base was up for. 'Red book' which was with Xenomania lifted their fortunes briefly but then Sharleen went solo for a while and by the time they came back, the world had long moved on.

Eric Generic and Cassandra may like this.
  16. Yes, a 3-year gap after the Greatest Hits, and then the Carnival Girl single pretty much alienated everyone. So much so that even the stunning I'll See It Through could only scrape to #40 when it was issued as the follow-up.

biffy77 and letuinmybackdoor like this.
  17. I saw Debbie Gibson mentioned, which I would have to agree on. The writing was on the wall when "No More Rhyme" and "We Should Be Together" both charted lower than the previous singles, but her fate was sealed with Anything Is Possible. That album was... bland, to put it nicely.

biffy77 likes this.
  18. Anything is Possible was very odd but I wouldn't say it was bland just very different from her previous two albums. It was 1990 and I think she was told she had to be more modern so she decided to add raps to a lot of the songs. Also the whole album was so overproduced and at 16 tracks, with one track over 7 mins, overlong too.
    I wonder if she stuck to cheesy pop like her first two albums whether she couldn't have remained popular. She didn't promote the album in the UK at all. I always thought the PWL single remix of Anything is Possible was so much better than the original version on the album.

19. Spice Girls - Spice World was huge, Forever was a flop.

Brandy - She was really successful during the Moesha, Never Say Never and The Boy Is Mine days. Than, it took her 4 years to release her next album, and although it was really good, people weren't really interested in her anymore. Her last one was released in 2012, and who knows when and if we'll get a new one.

Cassandra may likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.