Why are music sales so disproportionate to population | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Why are music sales so disproportionate to population

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sinful, Mar 20, 2015.

1. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Staff Member

"This", as they say, and what others have said.

I think we forget sometimes that the vast majority of people don't actually give much of a shit about music. It's just something on the radio or that you see on telly sometimes. I think us music fans sort of find ourselves in a bubble sometimes, because music is so much a part of our lives, we forget that not everyone is the same.

In that population of 64 million, don't forget that includes babies, children, pensioners and nearly-dead people, none of whom would be bothered about Adele. Her album was an "event" one - people who don't normally buy albums bought it because so many other people did. The same is happening with Ed Sheeran's album.

2. I think it's just the fact that a certain musical act can only appeal to so many people, and many of the people that the act appeals to only care enough about them to listen them on the radio or Spotify or maybe buy a single or two. The music industry in the US didn't issue as many singles in the 90s and early 2000s (I envied the singles the UK got issued), which inflated album sales, but it wasn't sustainable with the Internet becoming bigger and bigger, and people pushing back from being taken for a ride for having to buy whole albums for one or two songs and the rest of the album was filler. I think music, in particular, is something most people see as something to easily cut to save money for other things like drinks and dining out.

3. Not everyone buys music or listens to it. Shocking.

4. What freaks.

5. If you could download your body to the Arena for free would you do it? Besides the experience factor I believe many people wont pay what they can have for free like an album for example.

6. Buying an album is more of a decision of "do I wanna support this artist" more than "do I want to listen to this album" for me and I'm sure many others with Spotify and illegal downloading so popular.

7. Ray

Ray

See I actually don't think this is the case. The younger generation gets their music illegally. It's the mamas and papas who don't know how torrents work, have a hard time figuring the difference between iPad and iPod, so they go and buy CDs.

8. I wonder how 50 Quid Man is doing these days.

9. Pandora is just a radio-like service and honestly it shouldn't have to pay more.

Spotify pays 2-3 times more than that.

10. Why are people going on as if it's a new thing brought about by the Internet? I was always shocked that even in the height of the 90s, the number one single had only been bought by about 150,000 or 0.2% of the population. Even in year end charts the biggest selling songs had only been bought by say 500,000 people (0.9% of the population assuming it was 54m back then. At least I think it was around that figure!)

It felt completely disproportional to the amount of hype the singles chart got in the media.

11. One thing about sales that I've always wondered is why music sales for established acts is higher in the UK then in say Germany where the population is much bigger and have similar levels of development. I just used UK and Germany as an example, but in general it does seem that the UK consumes much more media as a percentage of the population compared to some other countries. I guess its the same for movies and other media too.

12. It's also as if there are more artists/ bands/ DJ's active than ever before. There is so much music. Or does it just seem that way? I hardly can keep up anymore with pop music even. It's weird.

People have a short attention spans now and its always next next next, next album, next era next single. We want more more more.

It's like everyone just streams music for that moment, and wants to move on quick.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  13. The UK buys more music per person than any other country in the world, im not sure why this is having only ever lived in the UK but music is just such a massive part of our culture which I obviously love.

14. I think you have a good point here. It's all so fugacious, just all for the moment. No-one invests in quality anymore.

15. Maybe that's why CD singles were still issued in the UK in the 90s and 2000s, and not the US, because it didn't really decrease album sales in the UK to any huge extent. It's weird that a single has to sell 600K to be certified platinum in the UK, but only 1,000,000 in the US.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.