Will & Grace | Page 58 | The Popjustice Forum

Will & Grace

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by WowWowWowWow, Sep 19, 2009.

1. At one point (i.e. not during the reboot) I thought Debra was the closest thing we would ever get to the reincarnation of Lucille Ball, so this is a wonderful homage.

Although I wonder if Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance would have been feuding and not tagging each other on Instagram...

2. It's so nice to finally get an episode with all 4 together. Should be fun!

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  3. I'm not trying to turn this into an I Love Lucy thread but is it worth watching? I've never seen it before and I'm thinking about buying the boxset from Amazon.

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  4. I’m completely biased, but I think that I Love Lucy is the best sitcom of all time—they set the stage for everything that came after them, plus they had to blaze the trail and had no one to copy or emulate.

5. I think I'll give it a go then! I've read many articles over the years about how great it is but I also like hearing from people who aren't being paid to write about it.

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  6. It's very hilarious. I have the boxset myself. Lucille's comedic timing is perfect.

7. That selfie is absolutely uncanny. I can't wait to see Debra as Lucy.

Remorque, Dee91 and WowWowWowWow like this.
  8. Um, yes absolutely! (tho I'm super biased as I'm a huge classic sitcom TV dork) It's pioneering television that paved the way for almost every sitcom that came after it. Plots/situations you seen in newer shows originated on I Love Lucy (like the Drake & Josh episode with the conveyor belt sushi scene). Even tho the show is old, the acting & comedy is truly timeless.

The behind-the-scenes is truly fascinating and all the historical firsts they achieved which has resulted in the way sitcoms are filmed and ran still to this day started with I Love Lucy. Definitely worth reading up on the show in addition to watching it. Plus there's nobody like Lucille Ball then or since. Her talent was truly one-of-a-kind and inspired everyone including John Ritter who did the same kind of comedy on Three's Company (another hilarious show I recommend to everyone).

Lucille Ball was not only the first woman to ever own her own studio (including greenlighting shows like Star Trek & Mission Impossible which are now iconic shows and film series) but she's also the only person to appear in the top ten in the ratings consecutively for 23 years across 4 TV series (I Love Lucy, The Luci-Desi Comedy Hour shows, The Lucy Show & Here's Lucy). That's how popular and powerful she was.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  9. Lucille Ball is, no exaggeration, one of the greatest comedic actresses to ever exist. She and Carol Burnett pretty much set the standard, and worked their asses off to do it.

Remorque, IndyRS, Subspace88 and 6 others like this.
  10. I went to see Will and Grace tape tonight and it was more scenes for the I Love Lucy homage - it was GREAT. Truly laughed so hard for hours. Beverly Leslie returns in it too.

11. Thanks everyone for weighing in! I'm going to treat myself to the boxset for Christmas. I'll definitely read up more on the show too. I've always admired Lucille for being the first woman to own her own studio.

Like I haven't got 30 other shows between DVD boxsets, Prime and Netflix, that I should be watching instead.

12. You didn't see a full episode tape? I love watching comedy tapings - so fascinating to watch.

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  13. No, they were using prosthetics that took hours to do apparently. The taping was even delayed because they couldn't get it done on time.

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  14. Ugh... I hate this feud. Is this the first time one of them has publicly acknowledged something was up?

C3F49E42-CE50-4338-A6D2-A3B77C2F92D0.jpeg

15. Omg Debra...

16. The newer series have been great. I'm sad it's fizzled out with a cancellation and them falling out.

17. I'm really sad to hear that. I feel terrible that her family lost her around the holidays. I haven't seen the Rosario episode from the reboot yet but it's going to be sadder to watch now.

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.