Will Young - Echoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SockMonkey

I'm not entirely sure what my feelings are on that video. It's fun, it's cute, but it also feels similar in tone to every video he's done for the past five years. Every one of them has to have a quirky theme. Swimming! Circus! Top Gun! Ice Skating! And now...Dog Show! I'm already waiting for the interview where he tells us he spent 8 months training with the dog.

On the plus side, the repetition of 'come on' fits brilliantly in context.

V

vasilios

The video is amazing.
I am not embarrassed to say I cried a bit at the scene with the broken leg, the puppy scenes and the last scene where they steal the show.

Definitely among the best videos this year, inside my Top 5 for sure!

I

invertedbutterfly

SockMonkey said:
I'm not entirely sure what my feelings are on that video. It's fun, it's cute, but it also feels similar in tone to every video he's done for the past five years. Every one of them has to have a quirky theme. Swimming! Circus! Top Gun! Ice Skating! And now...Dog Show!

This is absolutely true, but I think that's why I like it. They seem to be building into a cohesive body of work - the repetition doesn't bother me when he seems to be building up an oeurve of cute/sad/funny "Will Young Does..." films.

S

SockMonkey

invertedbutterfly said:
This is absolutely true, but I think that's why I like it. They seem to be building into a cohesive body of work - the repetition doesn't bother me when he seems to be building up a oeurve of cute/sad/funny "Will Young Does..." films.

Ha, it is actually the music video equivalent of Duncan Dares.

vasilios said:
I am not embarrassed to say I cried a bit at the scene with the broken leg, the puppy scenes and the last scene where they steal the show.

The dog's "stunt roll" is the best bit.

Although I agree with SockMonkey (first thought when seeing the video: "Oh, that's very Will Young!"), I really loved the video.
And the song, wow! I had not heard that yet, and I am happy I like it so much. I couldn't understand all the fuss about 'Jealousy' and his new direction, but now I get it.

Is the album more in the vein of 'Come on' or 'Jealousy'?

V

vasilios

JeSuisPop said:
Although I agree with SockMonkey (first thought when seeing the video: "Oh, that's very Will Young!"), I really loved the video.
And the song, wow! I haven't heard that yet, and I am happy I like it so much. I couldn't understand all the fuss about 'Jealousy' and his new direction, but now I get it.

Is the album more in the vein of 'Come on' or 'Jealousy'?

Get it, if you love Come On, you're in for a treat!

It is very Will Young in the way that it seems very British (for me anyway). I can see where Sockmonkey is coming from especially, it does seem like a similar format. But I suppose this is what separates Will from other Male artists out there.

What an amazing video! The Echoes era is really shaping up to be Will's best, and I thought he couldn't top the Let It Go era. Now if he would only release Good Times and Silent Valentine next, it would be perfect.

Ashamedly I've only today discovered this pretty amazing album. I heard 'Come On' for the first time earlier and it inspired me to buy it and I don't regret it at all. I'm In love with 'Come On' and 'Runaway' so far on my first listen through. Looking forward to playing the rest!

The video and the song combined are heartbreaking. I love Will. He looks amazing with those glasses, by the way.

Ps. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but is Will's 'Happy Now' a re-worked cover of Take That's song of the same name?

The video is very Will. I like it but it's probably not one of my favorite videos from him but still enjoyable. And I really hope we get more singles! There's so many great songs on Echoes.

catcloneflowncondo said:
I wish I could see the video. One thing I will never understand is blocking videos in certain regions.

I watched here on Vimeo.

OhLex! said:
Ps. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but is Will's 'Happy Now' a re-worked cover of Take That's song of the same name?

No,It's a brand new track written by Will and Pascal Gabriel.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
This album is literally leaving me speechless. The production is hypnotizing and his voice compliments it quite well. This is the kind of album I would love to make.

I think I will look into his discography to get a taste of what I've been missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.