WJ RATE? ♡ the WJSN discography rate。.:*☆ 25 | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

WJ RATE? ♡ the WJSN discography rate。.:*☆ 25

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by junglefish, Sep 20, 2021.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cosmic Babes: 10x1 (@Wills) 9.5x1 (@Slice of Life) 8x1 (@ultraviolet)
    Earth Dwellers: 4x1 (@Charles Vingt-†rois) 5x2 (@ysev, @Hurricane Drunk) 5.25x1 (@KimLippington)
    Hosts:
    @junglefish: 6.25
    @ysev: 5
    5 Voters: 64
    10 Voters: 64
    15 Voters: 68
    20 Voters: 66
    24 Voters: 65

Ooooooh boy.

So... This song. Haha. Hm. Composed by e.one (NOOOOOO!!! The ultimate betrayal) and somebody called LEL, Hurry Up is track 5 on the excellent EP 'WJ Please?'. Okay, so @Wills close your eyes because I'm gonna give my opinion on the song.

Well. If you know me, you know I hate anything that sounds old-timey, which is why I actively dislike MAMAMOO's gramophone-friendly chansons and only tolerate them when they wear their ethnic-hip hat. Hurry Up's intro is absolutely heinous. The farty instrument in the background together with those vocalizations are my worst nightmare in musical form. Its only saving grace and the reason why I didn't give it a terrible score is the chorus, which is honestly very good and catchy. Everything else, mama... It's garbage.

Lyrically, it's about a girlie waiting for someone to make their move and getting impatient. Not much to say, it's cute, a bit naughty and fits the song well. Yeah. Ok bye!!!

@Wills (10) : Misunderstood masterpiece! I can understand the tacky intro turning people off, but it’s long erased from my memory by the time the chorus takes flight.

@thommyh (6.25) : Getting major 'mamamoo - recipe' vibes from this :\

@KimLippington (5.25) :

@Charles Vingt-†rois (4) : what a mood killer

BEST FICTION, Serg., enjoy and 20 others like this.
  2. Hmm...........

[​IMG]

Oh well! More for me!

BEST FICTION, enjoy, He and 12 others like this.
  3. I sometimes forget just how much they've dabbled with the swing-heavy, jazz-y, retro, brassy lounge sound… This is fine, definition of a 6-7 scorer.

BEST FICTION, He, vague and 7 others like this.
  4. WJ PLEASE? ALREADY LOSING SONGS?

I did give it a 6.5 so… guess I can’t complain too much.

5. According to our expertly made spreadsheet, it should be a little while before it loses another song! Which brings me to my next question… Which album is gonna lose a song next? Huh? Huh?? What do you guys want us to cut?

6. [​IMG]
    The worst WJSN song! The way I would've given it a 2, if I weren't a host. Good riddance. Rip in piss you doodoo song.

7. wait, e.one had a hand in this??? Arrest ha!

fff I cannot at this song having two extra performances for it, and literally every other boppy b-side they have has virtually nothing except a fan recording from a one-off concert. Maybe @Wills won?

8. *rolls the dice*

Time for Kiss Your Lips to go

[​IMG]

BEST FICTION, vague, enjoy and 4 others like this.

9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cosmic Babes: 9x1 (@Charles Vingt-†rois) 8.5x1 (@eliminathan) 8.25x1 (@Love Deluxe)
    Earth Dwellers: 4x1 (@Attis) 4.5x1 (@KimLippington) 5x1 (@Cotton Park)
    Hosts:
    @junglefish: 8
    @ysev: 7
    5 Voters: 67
    10 Voters: 68
    15 Voters: 71
    20 Voters: 68
    24 Voters: 64
    You asked for it! You wanted it! 'Would You Kiss Me?' off of 'The Secret' received its answer and it was "no"!

Written by Kim Kyung and Robin and composed by the latter, the song starts as a fairly standard cutesy song but swiftly switches to a trappy girl crush section with drunk dirty talk by Xuan Yi proclaiming that she's seeing stars. Maybe she should lay off the booze a bitsy?
    It reverts back to saccharine verses and choruses in beautiful pure Apink/Oh My Girl/early SNSD fashion. I guess the whole switcheroo was too ahead of its time for some people. It does feel a bit randomly shoehorned into the song to be honest but I'll always welcome (an attempt of) experimentalism.

Some bird tweeted me that this was one of the early fan favorites among OG Ujungs. Well, they didn't have much to choose from so it makes sense.

One of the funny things about early WJSN tracks is that the vocal line really held back. I wouldn't be able to tell who's singing what except for my husky queen Seola. Thankfully the girls were allowed to showcase more of their ranges as time progressed.

@Charles Vingt-†rois (9) : Works much better than Catch Me

@Attis (4) : asdfsldjfk this sounds like a bad SNL parody, extra point for the NERVE

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    BEST FICTION, Serg., thommyh and 16 others like this.
  10. He

He

Their random trap moment songs are a hoot.

So, @junglefish, how do you feel about TTS? Ddd.

thommyh, vague, Slice of Life and 8 others like this.
  11. fff I actually love Twinkle.
    [​IMG]

BEST FICTION, thommyh, vague and 12 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cosmic Babes: 9x1 (@Crisp X) 8.75x1 (@BEST FICTION) 8.5x1 (@junglefish, @Wills, @RUNAWAY, @eliminathan)
    Earth Dwellers: 4x2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @Charles Vingt-†rois) 5x1 (@ultraviolet) 5.25x1 (@nikkysan)
    Hosts:
    @junglefish: 8.5
    @ysev: 6
    5 Voters: 65
    10 Voters: 67
    15 Voters: 65
    20 Voters: 63
    24 Voters: 63

This elimination... Ladies, I am boiling. My blood is simmering through my veins and I have some things to say, ok?

See, I don't mind balladphobia on Popjustice dot co dot uk. I've gotten used to it, so I'm always expecting to see BEAUTIFUL songs eliminated before they should. This time though, you messed up! Star, which is the third track on WJSN's 'WJ STAY?' EP, is gorgeous and it deserved much better than #63. I'm mad at you all but also at me for not giving a slightly higher score.

Written by Lee Ha-jin, e.one's Choi Hyeon-jun, Kim Seung-soo and rapstress Exy, Star has all the elements of a classic K-Pop ballad, but what I really like about it is girls' delivery. With the exception of some wonderful high notes (I'm tone-deaf so maybe ask @Vixen if they really are wonderful), it's full of restreint and emotions, making it one of their best ballads.

Lyrically, Star (whose Korean title translates to 100 Million Stars) is a love letter to the power of friendship, comparing it to the stars and to the belief that together, we can go anywhere. I mean... Don't tell me that's not sweet! You hoes really need a hug.

@Wills (8.5) : I know I’m becoming a caricature of myself, but it must be said: no one knows their way around a ballad like Sweetune (junglefish: bb I'm so sorry but it's another Kim Seung-soo, not Sweetune's :/)

@Charles Vingt-†rois (4) : I like Soobin but this kind of song makes me hate her.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  13. vague, Slice of Life, Vixen and 7 others like this.
  14. You did! It's fixed now!

15. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm idk I think it is? Worst case scenario it means I'm not the only one who's made this mistake!

Edit: Okay upon conferring with @junglefish I’m probably wrong! Anyways the song’s shit now, glad it’s gone

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    BEST FICTION, thommyh, vague and 11 others like this.
  16. Hmmmmm idk who’s wrong or right girl! It’s all very mysterious but this website has two different guys under Kim Seung-soo. Sweetune guy / other guy.

This is what happens when koreaboos don’t speak Korean!!!

17. Not you adding a French source into the mix……this polyglot flop

18. Let's try and get to another page before the next elim shall we?

So... What's out next? Any ideas?

BEST FICTION, thommyh, vague and 11 others like this.
  19. I wanna see 'Follow Me' leave. x

BEST FICTION, vague, Attis and 4 others like this.
  20. [​IMG][​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.