WJ RATE? ♡ the WJSN discography rate。.:*☆ AND THE WINNER IS... | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

WJ RATE? ♡ the WJSN discography rate。.:*☆ AND THE WINNER IS...

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by junglefish, Sep 20, 2021.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cosmic Babes
    : 10x4 (@codecat, @RUNAWAY, @Serg., @Slice of Life) 9.5x1 (@nikkysan) 9x2 (@thommyh, @Ana Raquel)
    Earth Dwellers: 2x1 (@Hurricane Drunk) 3.5x1 (@enjoy) 4x1 (@Charles Vingt-†rois)
    Hosts:
    @junglefish: 7
    @ysev: 8
    5 Voters: 19
    10 Voters: 40
    15 Voters: 42
    20 Voters: 45
    24 Voters: 51

Oof. Yeah, you read that right. Mr. Badboy got four 10s and it still wasn't enough to get it into the top 50. I'll let the Cosmic Babes deal with you Earth Dwellers! Good luck!

Mr. Badboy is the third track on 'Happy Moment' and was composed GALACTIKA, a fairly well known team who's worked with a bunch of forum faves like ITZY, Brave Girls, AOA and Apink. They've also worked with BIGSTAR, Supernova and ZE.A so it's good to know they're not above doing charity work! Love that.

Now, 'Happy Moment' as a whole doesn't do much for me, bar one or two songs and Mr. Badboy isn't necessarily one of those. Do I like it? Yeah. Do I think it could have stayed longer? Sure. Am I sad about it leaving? I won't answer that question because I don't want @codecat to punch me in the throat.

Still, there are many things to love here. It's a bright song that fits the summer concept of the album like a glove. It's cheerful, cute and the chorus is quite the earworm. My favorite part of the song, though, is definitely the cute little nod to their debut single, MoMoMo. Oh and that random 'homme fatale' in the lyrics is a kii ff.

Speaking of the lyrics, I think you probably all guessed it but they're about being infatuated with a bad boy, even though your friends are warning you against him. Jesy Nelson can relate.

@Wills (8) : Some really interesting sonics that don’t quite coalesce into something greater, it manages to get by on sheer volume of ideas crammed into its runtime.

@Cotton Park (7) : I don't hate this.

@Charles Vingt-†rois (4) : Not very them.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  2. Lemme just say that I love @Wills commentary even when I don’t agree with what he says.

aux, BEST FICTION, enjoy and 13 others like this.
  3. This is so sweet cuz I cringe every time they come up!

[​IMG]

I’m really out here trying to live my thesinglesjukebox fantasy nn

aux, BEST FICTION, enjoy and 14 others like this.
  4. Not this aksksensndjdn

5. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cosmic Babes: 10x1 (@Slice of Life) 9.5x1 (@codecat) 9.25x1 (@RUNAWAY)
    Earth Dwellers: 4.75x1 (@Charles Vingt-†rois) 5x1 (@enjoy) 5.75x1 (@KimLippington)
    Hosts:
    @junglefish: 8.5
    @ysev: 9
    5 Voters: 49
    10 Voters: 41
    15 Voters: 48
    20 Voters: 47
    24 Voters: 50

Top 50! Woohoo, let's celebrate that.

And goodbye to 'Geeminy'! It was released on June 7th, 2017 as the penultimate track of their studio album 'Happy Moment'. This is also the 6th loss for it, which means only 40% of the album is still in the race to become Cosmicland's Next Top Song. 'Geeminy' is made by XEPY, Lee Jiwon and Lee Kyungmi from SAFARI M, Exy, Vo3E and Duri. I guess there's room for everybody, let's just say that.

I was today years old when I found out that Geeminy is not a zany way of writing Gemini. Let's see what our trustworthy source of choice known as Wiktionairy has to say:
    "An exclamation used similarly to "Holy cow!" or "Oh my goodness!" It can also be used to indicate seriousness when preceded by "I wish to" or "I swear to"."

'Geeminy' starts off as a cute and twinkly electro-pop song. The chorus however explodes and goes into a throbbing frenzy. Actually the melody/vibe of the chorus reminds me of Lovelyz' 'Goodbye Chapter 1'. Both are an absolute rush of euphoria. By the way, @Attis is running a discography rate for Lovelyz! Give it a try if you are cute and pretty and cool and refreshing like me, wink wink.

But back to the song. The bridge deviates from the track's soundscape and invites us into a cold and menacing girl crush breakdown. Somehow it doesn't sound abrupt and just flows naturally!
    Geeminy! What a banger.

@ultraviolet (9) : Truly a hidden gem in their discography

@Attis (8.5) : The chorus slaps and the rap section is lit ! More drum n bass in K-pop please!

@Cotton Park (6.5) : What exactly is a Geeminy? (ysev: let me give you an example of how you can use it in a sentence: "Geeminy! Don't you know... I'm a Savage?!")

@Wills (6.5) : Love the pace, not sure about the song overtop

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    aux, BEST FICTION, Serg. and 16 others like this.
  6. Happy Moment aka my album haemorrhaging all these tracks.....Anastacia voice I don't feel safe I need to pray......

[​IMG]

aux, BEST FICTION, enjoy and 12 others like this.
  7. dsghdfdh........ your best writeup yet

[​IMG]

8. @ysev giving a 9 to the song about his country.......sounds about right actually

na jakkuman Germany ♫
    na jakkuman Germany ♫

[​IMG]

aux, BEST FICTION, enjoy and 10 others like this.
  9. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cosmic Babes
    : 10x1 (@Vixen) 9.5x1 (@Slice of Life) 9x1 (@codecat)
    Earth Dwellers: 4.5x1 (@Charles Vingt-†rois) 6.25x1 (@eliminathan) 6.5x3 (@Attis, @RUNAWAY, @Hurricane Drunk)
    Hosts:
    @junglefish: 8
    @ysev: 7
    5 Voters: 48
    10 Voters: 47
    15 Voters: 47
    20 Voters: 48
    24 Voters: 49

And just like that 'For the Summer' loses its first song! Which means that 'Neverland' is the last album left untouched. Tell me you're balladphobic without telling me you're balladphobic.

Judging by you guys' scores, most of you were... whelmed by Sugar Pop. None of you seem to outright hate it, except maybe @Charles Vingt-†rois, but not many love it either. In my opinion, it's a great song but it's also the right first cut from its corresponding EP.

Composed by Swedish producers Ollipop (EVERGLOW's Adios, Dun Dun and Pirate, OEC's Girl Front...), Caesar & Loui (RV's Red Flavor, LOONA's Heat...) and Australian songwriter Hayley Atkein (EVERGLOW's La Di Da, SNSD's All Night...), Sugar Pop's funk influences set it apart from what could be a straight up bubblegum pop song. I absolutely love the use of the guitar here and Exy's raps are once again a highlight, as is Yeonjung's surprise high note.

Sugar Pop really is the perfect closer of a very fun mini and while I'm a bit sad about this elimination, I can understand why you guys thought it was its time to leave.

@Attis (6.5) : There is something so Bri'ish / Xenomania in this song

@RUNAWAY (6.5) : why the fuck does this album exist? This song is a pointless end to this nothingy mini. (junglefish: SECURITY!)

@Charles Vingt-†rois (4.5) : Randomly this song makes me think of Blurred Lines, hence the score

(@Vixen has a lot of time on her hands)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  10. At least it went top 50, but this definitely deserves to stay for a little longer.

Me NOT giving the big high note to Chuu?! You're crazy.

11. Sugar Pop is great! Just like the entire album, @RUNAWAY!!!

I could hear it fitting on a Red Velvet summer album. And that’s high praise!

12. [​IMG]

this is exactly what I was afraid of....

this hot piece of meat, aka me, is losing his first 10

let's go
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cosmic Babes: 10x1 (@ysev) 9.75x1 (@thommyh) 9x3 (@Ana Raquel, @He, @Slice of Life)
    Earth Dwellers: 4.5x1 (@Wills) 5.5x1 (@Charles Vingt-†rois) 6x4 (@Serg., @Hurricane Drunk, @KimLippington, @Cotton Park)
    Hosts:
    @junglefish: 8.25
    @ysev: 10
    5 Voters: 33
    10 Voters: 36
    15 Voters: 46
    20 Voters: 50
    24 Voters: 47

'Perfect!' is a b-side from WJSN's third mini album called 'From. WJSN'. Released in 2017, it accompanied the title track 'I Wish'. The song was carefully and lovingly crafted by Rovin and Bronze. On further inspection, Rovin is the Robin whom I shaded a couple (or a dozen) elimination posts earlier by asking who that person is! The funny thing is that I read the Hangul name (yes, I am... Smart [sometimes]) and just concluded that it's Robin. But as we all know, Koreans, the creative souls that they are, love to use some artistic liberty when it comes to the romanization of their names. Vs instead of Bs, Zs instead of Js, etc. They really take the Latin alphabet to FREEDOM *explosion*.

Now that we got this extraordinarily important information out of the way let's get to the song. It should surprise very few at this point but let me introduce myself nonetheless: Hello. I am ysev and I am an anonymous uncle fan. I just love the pure/cute/refreshing concepts of girl groups! And one thing that I love even more: when cute songs have a zany 8bit sound to them. Think: Red Velvet's 'Russian Roulette' and 'Power Up', or Lovelyz' 'LOVE GAME'.

It's such a thrilling, plink plonk-y, electrifying EVENT. Yes! There's this millisecond in the chorus where the instrumental is completely cut out to highlight one of the girls hushing the first syllable of 'jukgesseoyo'. That girl is of course Seola because she is that girl. A stunning moment. It just makes me happy. If you get it you get it, if you don't you don't. And if you don't then I feel sorry for you.

The lyrics talk about an organically fed Albanian stallion that is just so mesmerizing that no other word than 'perfect' could adequately describe him. Wow. We sure do appreciate it when K-pop honors international icons.

@Attis (8.5) : the chorus reminds me of something but I can't remember

@Wills (4.5) : Kinda shocked this isn’t E-Tribe, it’s really annoying fff (ysev: if you can't be my friend just PLEEK don't be my enemy because my life is tough enough as it is!)

enjoy, aux, BEST FICTION and 15 others like this.
  13. you wanted a Thai?
    [​IMG]

no?
    A TIE?!
    [​IMG]

ok... let's make it a title track then :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cosmic Babes: 9.75x1 (@codecat) 9.5x1 (@nikkysan) 9x3 (@Attis, @Serg., @eliminathan)
    Earth Dwellers: 5x1 (@Hurricane Drunk) 6x3 (@Crisp X, @ultraviolet, @Cotton Park) 6.25x1 (@KimLippington)
    Hosts:
    @junglefish: 6.75
    @ysev: 8.5
    5 Voters: 46
    10 Voters: 46
    15 Voters: 51
    20 Voters: 52
    24 Voters: 47

Hey BOYS... eat my coochie!
    'Catch Me' is the second part of WJSN's double title track debut in 2016. And with its elimination we say goodbye to the 'Would You Like?' EP! You won't be missed HAHA.

'Catch Me' was written by Seo Ji-Eum and produced by Shockbit, Deekei and Bekuh Boom. The latter being responsible for many Blackpink songs, 'Birthday' by Jeon Somi and Lisa's 'Lalisa' and 'Money'. And it makes sense. 'Catch Me' could've easily been the song of any of the aforementioned ladies. It's girl crush. It's swag. It's #yolo.

It bops and it throbs. It's pretty much unlike anything they released since, which makes it all the more alluring. You see, if WJSN were a group that is just girl crush, I would probably dislike the song (or not xD). But since it's such an anomaly I can appreciate the diversity it brings to their overall discography. And sorry, but even the biggest girl crush haters gotta admit that this song just makes you wanna tell your girls to not panic and dance before they catch these hands!

There's a reoccurring section where Exy pays tribute to her rap idol 니키 미나즈 by interpolating the lyrics of her seminal hit 'Roman Holiday'. "uh-oh h-h-h-h-h-u-h-h-uoh-uh-oh-hhh". Ovulation extravaganza!

The video, which I thought was merely a performance practice, is indeed the official music video. Cheng Xiao sl*ys but other than that.... where's the budget? Starship Entertainment sure came a long way as evidenced by the debut video of their newest girl group IVE titled 'ELEVEN'. Stream it once, stream it twice, etc.

@Attis (9) : WJSN with Sega Bodega / Space Cowboy / Dylan Hardy when ?

@Wills (8) : Now this is more like it! Not much shared DNA with anything they’d go on to do, but the harmonies are unmistakably them.

@Charles Vingt-†rois (7.75) : It doesn’t quite always work but the rap sections are great

@Crisp X (6) : I still can't process WJSN attempting some kind of Wa$$up cosplay was a real thing that actually happened in our lifetime.

@ultraviolet (6) : The only song where Dawon has the lines she deserves.

@Cotton Park (6) : This kind of has Pink Tape vibes. Not that I like it much. Maybe Red Light vibes.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    enjoy, aux, BEST FICTION and 16 others like this.
  14. Good fucking bye dfgdfsgsfdghsdfg

enjoy, aux, BEST FICTION and 14 others like this.
  15. Catch Me is girl crush done right. It’s everything Blackpink post-2018, Everglow and other girl crush groups think they’re serving. I’m glad this didn’t end becoming their signature sound, but it’s a fun oddity.

16. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cosmic Babes: 10x2 (@thommyh, @Love Deluxe) 9.75x1 (@junglefish) 9x3 (@ysev, @Wills, @Slice of Life)
    Earth Dwellers: 5x2 (@nikkysan, @Cotton Park) 6x2 (@He, @Serg.) 6.5x1 (@enjoy)
    Hosts:
    @junglefish: 9.75
    @ysev: 9
    5 Voters: 53
    10 Voters: 48
    15 Voters: 49
    20 Voters: 46
    24 Voters: 46

So, I feel like it was written in the stars that I would be the one to eliminate Memories, because really, this is WJSN at their most GFRIEND. It's not a complete pastiche as it still has a certain WJSN flair to it (can you imagine Sowon doing EXY's little rap part fff) but that chorus is peak Flower Bud/Snowflake-era GFRIEND. Like, it could be an album track on both these EPs. I regret not giving it a 10 but I'm not sure it would have helped it go much further. Still, #46 is respectable so it's fine, I'm not mad at you fools.

Composed by e.one's Jeong Ho-hyeon and Choi Hyeon-jun (legends!) and Jeong-min from the very good boy-band BOYFRIEND (@Wills forced me to write this!), Memories is typical of the pure concept sound that took Korea by storm for a little while. The vocals are sweet AND at times powerful, it's refreshing and bright and some beautiful orchestral arrangements. Yes, it's not original and doesn't bring anything new to that sound, but it does its job very well. It was one of my favorite rediscoveries when preparing for the rate and while I don't seek it out often, when it comes on shuffle I always have to listen to it at least four or five times.

The album description tells us that Memories, whose Korean title roughly translates to 'Us Back Then', is reminiscent of our first teenage love. Cute! The lyrics definitely play on that, with the girls wondering if their first love has changed since that time and longing to be reunited with him.

An interesting little tidbit is that while WJSN Chinese members were officially on hiatus by then, they still took part in the recording of Memories. Was it recorded for an earlier album? Maybe, maybe not! Let's ask MeiQi, I hear she has a lot of free time these days.

@thommyh (10) : god I miss gfriend....... (junglefish: you and me both bb! Keep your eyes peeled for VIVIZ's debut, coming... someday.)

@Wills (9) : Whew, that bridge. The drama!

@Attis (7.5) : The e.one formula starts to rut here

Also an e.one production! Don't forget to join the Lovelyz rate.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Love Deluxe, enjoy, aux and 16 others like this.
  17. [​IMG]

Gone too soon!

enjoy, aux, BEST FICTION and 10 others like this.
  18. 'Catch Me' is iconic if only for the "i’m cummin" part, but it was definitely too soon for 'Memories' to go…

enjoy, aux, BEST FICTION and 7 others like this.
  19. enjoy, aux, BEST FICTION and 8 others like this.
  20. Let's get to a new page >

enjoy, aux, BEST FICTION and 11 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.