Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#18) | Page 128 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#18)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Apr 5, 2020.

?

Which year has your favorite music, based on the songs in this rate?

1. 1980

15.8%
  2. 1981

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1982

1.8%
  4. 1983

15.8%
  5. 1984

12.3%
  6. 1985

10.5%
  7. 1986

7.0%
  8. 1987

10.5%
  9. 1988

12.3%
  10. 1989

14.0%
  1. 1. Self Control.
    2. The Best (for the saxophones!) or Heaven is A Place on Earth (for the guitar interlude and key change that's a gift to any dancefloor)
    3. Running Up That Hill
    4. Like a Prayer
    5. The Winner Takes It All.
    6. My early morning insomniac brain can't quite process this
    7. 2
    8. 1
    9. 1
    10. Irene Cara

funkyg, soratami, MilesAngel and 3 others like this.
  2. You read my mind. It doesn't belong in this rate, even if it doesn't violate any rules.

ABBA are not "Women of the 80s" - they are women (and 2 men) of the 70s!

DJHazey likes this.
  3. Like Agnetha and Frida stopped existing in the 80s....

4. Okay but that last argument doesn't hold water because they aren't the only example of being in a band with men in it. The rate is just focused on females being the vocalists which is the case in all songs. Whether or not a song sounds like it belongs in the 80s or not is a moot point. There are tons of other examples of songs in this rate that you could conceivably say "that's not a typical 80s song" and that's because the decade was a melting-pot of sounds that either drew from previous decades or would lay the groundwork for 90s and beyond. That's a special thing and shouldn't be messed with.

funkyg, soratami, Rie Runway and 9 others like this.
  5. I was being not entirely serious. But if you ask most people if ABBA are a 70s group or an 80s one, 99% of people who know who they are will say 70s. That doesn't mean they didn't still exist for part of the 80s, or have some success during the 80s... but their music will always be associated primarily with the 70s.

6. Ugh, now my work's browser doesn't want me to do this because I can't get to anything right now on the browser and I'm not writing it up via mobile ddd. If my company fixes it (all of our servers are a national thing) and everything comes back up I'll post #20 today. Sorry for the delay guys!

EDIT: I think they've fixed it *fingers crossed*

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 1:49 PM
    funkyg, soratami and berserkboi like this.
  7. Abba/Fleetwood Mac - Male/Female - Active in the 70s/80s

As long as:
    - their song in this rate was released in the 80's
    - has a female lead vocal

then they belong in this rate.
    I could argue that The Bangles should not be in this rate but in a 60's Female Vocalist rate...and no doubt Susanna Hoffs would agree with me - as she has said their sound was completely inspired by that decade!

8. I would be in the 1% who would say - they did some of their best stuff in 1980/1981!

9. When it comes down to it - if you don't put songs that were released between 1980 and 1989 in this rate what rate would they go in? You're not putting 1989 songs in a 90s rate and you're not putting 1980 songs in a 70s rate. So they'd get punished and not be in a 'best of' rate just because of their release date?

10. I find it fascinating how all of our minds work - I *spoiler alert* don't care at all for ABBA aside from Dancing Queen and Waterloo (thanks Muriel's Wedding) and my brain thinks that everything by them was a 70s single - yet my brain also thinks that Gimme Gimme Gimme and Summer Night City are conversely 80s songs!?

Similarly, my brain weirdly associates Thinking Of You by Sister Sledge as an 80s song, even though it's from a 70s album but was a UK hit in the 80s...

My brain always thinks that Word Up by Cameo invented 80s funk even though it actually arrived late in the decade, while it also thinks that Somebody Else's Guy by Jocelyn Brown came at the late-80s start of house and rave culture... except it was actually released in the early 80s.

11. No, despite what some people would like, ABBA is not our first cut from the Top 20, nor are a couple other predictions I saw on the 'survey' answers. But this song came up more than once as the one that "would hurt the most if it got eliminated before the Top 10"

I agree with this sentiment, considering it's one of my 12s!

Another example of a song that I was always going to know if I heard it recent years, that my love for it would be 'activated' in this moment...even if I literally hadn't heard the song since my childhood previously. I was driving home in the pitch dark one random evening and I was in a good mood. For some reason I had the 'classic hits' station on and the beginning synths were playing making me go "hey this sounds interesting" and the then the rest of the song exploded into existence. Every part seemed to up the ante and never let up. These are the kind of instant discoveries/re-discoveries that I live for when I know in that exact moment that this song will live with me for the rest of my life. Now I consider it an all-time favorite, love the Agnes version (I just gave the elimination away for a few of you ddd), and yeah it's just a perfect pop anthem.

As for my workplace's browser acting up, maybe it was a sign that this SHOULD NOT be out at #20.

Irene Cara - Flashdance...What a Feeling

[​IMG]

168 Points | @DJHazey (12) @pop3blow2 (12) @TéléDex (10) @M24 (10) @Robsolete (10) @abael (10) @Gnuh Gnuh (10) Hazey's Mom (8) @MilesAngel (8) @POPGASM (7) @Eric (7) @soratami (6) @saviodxl (6) @livefrommelbs (6) @Ana Raquel (6) @Hurricane Drunk (6) @idratherjack (5) @2014 (5) @Phonetics Boy (5) @Sprockrooster (4) @WhatKindOfKylie? (4) @GimmeWork (3) @Seventeen Days (3) @ThislittleZiggy (2) @Filippa (2) @Trouble in Paradise (1)

Release | April 3, 1983

Charts | #1 [US] #2 [UK] #1 [Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain] #3 [Billboard 1983] #19 [UK Charts 1983] #34 [Billboard All-Time]

Sales | Platinum [France] Gold [Italy, US] Silver [UK]

2020 Plays | 55 million [YouTube] 85 million [Spotify] 255,000 [Last.FM]

Album | What a Feelin', Flashdance: Original Soundtrack from the Motion Picture

Genres | Pop

Writers | Keith Forsey, Irene Cara

Producers | Giorgio Moroder

12s | @pop3blow2 - "An absolutely formative moment in my music fandom and love of pop. We had this 45 and my mom played it a lot. When I got a bit older, my dad would let me have my own time at the record player and this got played every time I could. It was played so much it skipped in a couple of places and I can still remember those moments in my head when I listen to it! It has so much influence on the music I not only loved and consumed (even up to today ), but when I started writing music it was a song I continuously came back to as ‘one of the perfect pop songs’ to strive for. It’s so dramatic, euphoric, & anthemic... sometimes all at the same time, but also in alternating sections. Just brilliant."

Trivia | Irene Cara's only #1 song in the US, it won an Academy Award for Best Original Song, the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song, and the Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. On AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of the best songs from American cinema, it was ranked #55.

This was the title song to the movie Flashdance, one of the first films not fitting into the "musical" category that was centered around the songs. As more people started watching MTV, it became easier and more acceptable to integrate pop songs into films, which led to movies like Footloose and Dirty Dancing. (Can we say cultural reset?)

Irene Cara wrote the lyrics with the songwriter Keith Forsey; Giorgio Moroder composed the music and produced the track. Moroder and Forsey wrote many songs that became hits when they were used in '80s movies: Moroder wrote "Danger Zone" and "Take My Breath Away" for Top Gun, while Forsey wrote "Shakedown" for Beverly Hills Cop II and "Don't You (Forget About Me)" for The Breakfast Club. The backing track is powered by a LM-1 drum machine, programmed by Richie Zito, who also played guitar on the track. Producer Giorgio Moroder was an early adopter of the LM-1, which was the first programable unit to use real drum samples instead of synthesized sounds. "Maniac" also used the device.

The word "Flashdance" never appears in the lyric, but the song still relates to the movie, as it's specifically about dancing. Irene Cara was an accomplished dancer who not only sang the title song to Fame, but also starred in the film as an aspiring dancer. Said Cara: "'What a feeling' was a metaphor about a dancer, how she's in control of her body when she dances and how she can be in control of her life." According to Giorgio Moroder, he wrote this song with Irena Cara in mind to sing because he loved what she did with the theme song to Fame.

It has been covered several times: by Björn Again (1993), Marcia Himes (1998), Global DeeJays (2005), Priscilla Betti (2002), Marie Picasso (2007), Agnes Carlsson (2005).

DJ Bobo released a duet with Irene Cara in 2001, which charted at #2 in Switzerland and #3 in Germany.

The video featured the dance sequence to Flashdance, which was the primary driver of the leg warmers trend of the '80s.

12. It's not about when you think their best stuff was; culturally, ABBA are associated with the 70s. They're like flares. Yes, some people wore/still wear them outside of the 70s, but they'll always be a 70s phenomenon.

13. I'm both happy Flashdance went this far & at the same time disappointed it didn't keep going. My commentary only touches on how amazing I think the song is. I could write an essay about this song, for sure.

I won't lie, the fact that this is a fave 80s song of yours & 'Who's To Say' is your fave Vanessa song, kinda melts my brain a little. Two songs on my list of the greatest things I've ever heard.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 5:20 PM
  14. That's not what I meant.

DJHazey likes this.
  15. I'm the 1% that's attracted to their darker side: "The Visitors" song with its icy synths from 1981 could be Joy Division! Goldfrapp were listening in 2010 when they did "Head First"!

16. Melts your brain in a good way I'd assume ddd, yes Who's to Say will always be in my Top 5 songs ever!

pop3blow2 likes this.
  17. It's the only full album of theirs I play regularly. The synths combined with the heartbreak of 'Slipping through my fingers' - stunning!

JonBcn, Hairycub1969 and DJHazey like this.
  18. My favourite era of ABBA is the 80's. But what I love about ABBA is that they always had a darker side, they were just better at hiding it in the 70's, and really let it come out in the 80's.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 4:39 PM
  19. So true "Knowing me knowing you" is a masterpiece...

20. Flashdance - My last 8. Those lovely opening synths, the way the production builds from the low-key first verse, rising up through the second verse, then the chorus, which comes rushing out to meet you and lift you in the air. I use the word 'euphoric' a lot, but this song truly takes me away to a different place.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 5:12 PM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.