Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#18) | Page 129 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#18)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Apr 5, 2020.

?

Which year has your favorite music, based on the songs in this rate?

1. 1980

15.8%
  2. 1981

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1982

1.8%
  4. 1983

15.8%
  5. 1984

12.3%
  6. 1985

10.5%
  7. 1986

7.0%
  8. 1987

10.5%
  9. 1988

12.3%
  10. 1989

14.0%
  1. Yes in the pop music dictionary, next to 'euphoric chorus', nothing else gets that honor. It's What a Feeling every day and twice on Sunday.

2. So in addition to the hand of genius that is Giorgio Moroder, "What A Feeling" has Richie Zito playing on it!
    I recognise the name because he produced the albums "Brigade" for Heart, and "Toni Basil" by erm.... Toni Basil. Glad he was on some other classic songs as well.

3. Giorgio stays the most iconic producer from his era!

4. Along with Trevor Horn!

funkyg, Eric Generic, DJHazey and 3 others like this.
  5. ! ! !

Legends only!

6. What A Feeling should have been an easy top 10.

What more do some of you want?

7. Okay, so Straight Up and Fast Car really need to go soon. They're good and everything, but not this good.

Even one of the Eurythmics' classics could leave and I wouldn't be too upset at this stage.

8. "Fame"...RIP Alan Parker.

funkyg, Eric Generic and DJHazey like this.
  9. This is Tracy Chapman's only time to shine in a rate. So support her!!

10. "Don't you know they're talking 'bout a revolution.. it sounds like a whisper"

funkyg, DJHazey and Sprockrooster like this.
  11. Such an absolute feel good song this. And well worthy of a top 20 placement too.

DJHazey and MilesAngel like this.
  12. I'm not a huge fan of What a Feeling. It's a good pop song, but it's not much of a dance anthem (a la Into the Groove), so the big ending scene in the movie felt rather anticlimactic to me. (The obvious wig on Jennifer Beals' stunt double didn't help.)

Anyhow, let's get rid of the similarly good-but-not-quite-amazing Here Comes the Rain Again and Ain't Nobody and then leave the undeniable classics to go at it!

DJHazey likes this.
  13. invertedbutterfly

invertedbutterfly Staff Member

I'm not a big fan of What a Feeling either (lordy, I would never have imagined that it would be one of the few songs in the Top 20 I didn't vote for - how did that happen, when did I become so obvious &c &c), but it did make this possible, so I could never resent its place here:

DJHazey, soratami and berserkboi like this.
  14. A bit late but let me do the survey as well

1. Which song stands out like a sore thumb because you never thought it would be in the Top 20 and you'd don't want it there? Time After Time
    2. Now if you could take the song out, which song that didn't make the Top 20 would you replace it with? Kids In America
    3. Which song is a pleasant surprise in the Top 20 because while you hoped it would do well, you didn't think it would this well? Ain't Nobody
    4. Which song do you think is winning the whole thing? The Winner Takes It All
    5. Which song would you like to see win instead (if different)? Total Eclipse Of The Heart
    6. I mentioned that six other songs (besides "Orinoco Flow") had the #1 spot during the voting period and they finished #8, #6, #4, #3, #2, and #1. What songs are they? The Winner Takes It All, Like A Prayer, Into The Groove, Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This), I Wanna Dance With Somebody and Heaven Is A Place On Earth (not in order)
    7. How many Madonna songs will make the Top 10 (she has three left)? Two
    8. How many Whitney songs will make the Top 10 (she has two left)? One
    9. How many Eurythmics songs will make the Top 10 (they have two left)? One
    10. Which song being eliminated before the Top 10, would hurt the most for you? Total Eclipse Of The Heart

15. Picking something for 1) was actually pretty hard because I don't particularly like five of the songs left. Hopefully they'll all be gone soon dd

berserkboi, Rie Runway and DJHazey like this.
  16. I'm not sure how to read that literally no one has mentioned this song once. Does it mean you don't care about them or that you're hoping they will fly under the radar. Well either way, my heart gets broken one last time.

Heart - Alone

[​IMG]

168 Points | @Trouble in Paradise (12) @unnameable (12) @sfmartin (10) @idratherjack (10) @ohnoitisnathan (10) @ThislittleZiggy (8) @girlsaloudjunkie (8) @Robsolete (8) @Auntie Beryl (7) @daninternational (7) @Hudweiser (7) @DJHazey (6) @Sprockrooster (6) @berserkboi (6) @livefrommelbs (6) @POPGASM (6) @M24 (6) @MilesAngel (5) @DominoDancing (5) @Hairycub1969 (5) @gezza76 (4) @Filippa (4) @Eric Generic (3) Hazey's Mom (2) @WowWowWowWow (2) @Phonetics Boy (2) @2014 (1)

Release | May 16, 1987

Charts | #1 [US] #3 [UK] #1 [Canada] #2 [Billboard 1987] #34 [UK Charts 1987] #254 [Billboard All-Time]

Sales | Gold [Canada] Silver [UK]

2020 Plays | 194 million [YouTube] 138 million [Spotify] 332,000 [Last.FM]

Album | Bad Animals

Genres | Rock

Writers | Billy Steinberg, Tom Kelly

Producers | Ron Nevison

12s | @Trouble in Paradise - "I think I mentioned in the Ultimate Artists countdown just how much I adored this song and I was not kidding. It's easily in my Top 10 car sing along songs. It's one of those songs that I adore hearing covered (from Brandi Carlile with Lucius to Carrie Underwood) but still crave the hit of the original. These women can SING! and they do just that while pouring so much heart into it. (couldn't resist)"

Trivia | "Alone" was composed by Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly under the name i-Ten on their 1983 album Taking a Cold Look. It was later recorded by Valerie Stevenson and John Stamos, in their roles as Lisa Copley and Gino Minelli, on the original soundtrack of the CBS sitcom Dreams in 1984. In 2007 Celine Dion recorded it for her album Taking Chances. In 2010 Alyssa Reid used the music and lyrics for the chorus of her song Alone Again. Kelly, the song's coauthor and himself an experienced session singer, provided the high harmony parts on the record.

Steinberg had alot to say about the whole process: "The song 'Alone,' even though it was released after 'True Colors' and 'Like a Virgin,' it was written well before those songs. Tom Kelly and I were signed to Epic Records and we made one album under the name i-Ten. It was sort of made out to look like a group, but it was really just the two of us.

We made this album and it was co-produced by Keith Olsen and Steve Lukather. I wasn't really happy with the way it turned out, but it did have some good songs on it. One of the songs on it was 'Alone.' The album was titled Taking A Cold Look. It didn't do much although it has sort of a cult following in Europe.
    The most prominent song on it was 'Alone.' Tom and I recorded it for that record and just sort of set it aside when that record didn't succeed. In fact, all the songs on that i-Ten record had a slightly unpleasant association to me because the whole recording process of making that record was very unpleasant to me.

I just put those songs in a drawer and forgot about them, but then Tom and I were having a good deal of success with 'Like a Virgin' and 'True Colors' and then we heard that Heart was looking for a power ballad and Tom said, 'What about 'Alone'?' I winced and said, 'Oh, I don't really want to look at that song.' He said, 'What do you mean? That's perfect.'

We took the song out and sure enough it was relatively easy to do because we liked everything about the song except the first line of the chorus. The version on i-Ten, the lyric said, 'I always fared well on my own.' Both lyrically and melodically it felt very stiff and unappealing. So I did a minor change on the lyric and it said, 'Til now, I always got by on my own,' and Tom changed the melody and gave it much more movement and almost a slightly R&B feel on the first line of the chorus. That really lifted the chorus, and then all of the sudden I liked the song again.

We made a new demo of the song very quickly and presented it to Ron Nevison, who was producing Heart at that time. He loved it and they cut it."

The video for the song was directed by Marty Callner, and was released in June 1987. It starts with Ann at the top of a balcony singing to Nancy, who is at the bottom (similar to the famous "Romeo & Juliet" scene). Ann is then seen in all black, including a funeral veil and gown. The two sisters are then seen performing the refrain to an audience on stage, when Nancy's piano collapses at the first bang of the chorus. During the second verse, a broken-down and dilapidated set is seen, with Nancy playing the piano within it. Nancy is then seen riding atop a black horse and jumping out on stage with her guitar as the instrumental section kicks in. It then shows Ann, in the all-black outfit within the broken set and thereby resembling a witch, before cutting directly back to the stage performance as the song reaches its climax. As the song fades out, a shot of Ann and Nancy together is shown, with each one looking directly into each other's eyes, before finally finishing with a quick shot of Ann's face as the screen goes black.

[​IMG]

Heart's Champions

@DJHazey (33) @unnameable (24) @marie_05 (23)

17. 80s rock isn't for me, so am not bothered about this but one going. Respect it's an classic of the decade though and obviously well loved to have gotten this far.

18. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I was hoping it would make top 10. You have done a classic wrong.
    Still, glad to know I'm one of Heart's champions.

19. They did all their classics wrong. I know you were afraid you wouldn't make it because you decided to spread your votes out more. I still bow you to as the forum's #1 Heart fan just feel honored to be the #1 champion for this rate because all of the big 80s hits are timeless classics and deserved to have their moment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.