Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#18) | Page 130 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#18)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Apr 5, 2020.

?

Which year has your favorite music, based on the songs in this rate?

1. 1980

15.8%
  2. 1981

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1982

1.8%
  4. 1983

15.8%
  5. 1984

12.3%
  6. 1985

10.5%
  7. 1986

7.0%
  8. 1987

10.5%
  9. 1988

12.3%
  10. 1989

14.0%
  1. Well, I’m surprised Alone even made it this far, considering that people completely tanked their other tracks! I still think What About Love and Never are among this thread’s best.
    Actually I gave points to all of their songs, except for this one! It never did much for me. Still, I’m happy to be one of their champions.

Also, I’m not surprised to see my name so high on the list of “flop” voters, haha!

2. Alone is absolutely amazing, and even someone like me who isn’t really into 80s rock had no choice but to Stan!

3. Alone is one of those songs I knew of, but never too sure who was the artist for many years.

DJHazey likes this.
  4. I honestly think I didn't know it until Glee *hides* but a great tune

5. I think that was the best decision...

6. While I will never defend Glee from fully deserved criticism, at least it was Kristin Chenoweth singing it

unnameable and DJHazey like this.
  7. Heart's "Alone" was Number 23 in my Top 40 - and really is ONE of the Best Female Power Ballads that Rock from the 80's - out too soon compared to what's left - for me!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 10:36 PM
  8. Speaking of 'Flashdance', here's an ABBA song that does belong in the 80s...

9. Another elimination inside the Top 20 and another elimination where I gave the song points...BIG POINTS. *RIP me*

Paula Abdul - Straight Up

[​IMG]

174 Points | @Aester (10) @Hurricane Drunk (10) @GimmeWork (10) @Daniel_O (10) @Ana Raquel (10) @pop3blow2 (10) @DJHazey (10) @WowWowWowWow (8) @unnameable (8) @Gnuh Gnuh (7) @WhatKindOfKylie? (7) @ohnoitisnathan (6) @funkyg (6) @iheartpoptarts (6) @Rie Runway (6) @saviodxl (6) @kermit_the_frog (6) @phoenix123 (5) @Remorque (5) Hazey's Mom (5) @abael (4) @Trouble in Paradise (4) @M24 (4) @idratherjack (3) @invertedbutterfly (3) @Phonetics Boy (2) @Robsolete (1) @girlsaloudjunkie (1) @ThislittleZiggy (1)

Release | November 22, 1988

Charts | #1 [US] #3 [UK] #1 [Norway] #4 [Billboard 1989] #31 [UK Charts 1989] #325 [Billboard All-Time]

Sales | Platinum [US] Gold [Canada] Silver [UK]

2020 Plays | 27 million [YouTube] 40 million [Spotify] 241,000 [Last.FM]

Album | Forever Your Girl

Genres | Dance-Pop

Writers | Elliot Wolff

Producers | Elliot Wolff

Trivia | According to Paula Abdul, her mother found this song for her. She says that her mother knew someone whose boyfriend was an aspiring songwriter, and she got "Straight Up" as an 8-track demo. The demo version was “so bad” that Abdul’s mother was "crying laughing" at it, and threw it in the trash. But Abdul heard something she liked in it, and retrieved it. At that time she was a full-time choreographer, and on the side, late at night she was recording music. The record label didn't think the song was any good but Abdul offered to record 2 songs they wanted, which she didn't like, if they would let her do "Straight Up". The song was recorded at a cost of $3,000. Later a friend of hers told her that somebody with her same name was being played on a northern California radio station. "Literally, within 10 days I [it] sold a million copies." The song was originally recorded in a bathroom, and in the masters of the recording, someone in the next apartment can be heard yelling "Shut up".

Abdul recalled, "I never expected someone who wrote that song to look like you," she told Wolff, an unassuming white guy with strange mannerisms. Abdul recalls using Wolff's shower as a vocal booth, and the neighbors banging on the walls to complain. "It was the most enjoyable time working with him because he was so different, and left-of-center," Abdul said of working with Wolff. "He never would get mad."

This song is driven by a synthetic horn riff Elliot Wolff created with a Roland D-50 linear synthesizer. This model came to market in 1987 with banks of presets, including one for a horn section (A-15), that Wolff used here.

"Straight Up" was the third single released from her debut album Forever Your Girl, after "Knocked Out" and "The Way That You Love Me". While the latter was enjoying success on the R&B charts, radio station KMEL in San Francisco started playing "Straight Up" from the album. The label decided to abandon "The Way That You Love Me" and refocus its attention on "Straight Up". The strategy paid off, as "Straight Up" was followed by three more number-one hits from the same album.

The song became so popular that it ascended up the charts before a music video had even been shot for the song. The black and white video, directed by David Fincher and choreographed by Abdul herself in mid-January 1989, won four 1989 MTV Video Music Awards for Best Female Video, Best Editing, Best Choreography, and the first Best Dance Video. The video features an appearance by her friend, comedian Arsenio Hall, whose popular talk show had premiered a few weeks prior to the video shoot. Djimon Hounsou also appears. Released later that month, the video at the time went into very heavy rotation on MTV, helping further Abdul's popularity. "I wanted to tap-dance, and it just came together - very simple," Abdul told Entertainment Weekly. "It ended up defining a look and signature of the decade."

"Straight Up" was a popular phrase at the time that could be dropped into just about any conversation - "I'll meet you at 6 p.m., straight up" or "That was straight up the worst Rocky movie ever."

[​IMG]

Paula Abdul's Champions

@GimmeWork (16) @funkyg (12) @WhatKindOfKylie? (11)

Eric, Aester, Robsolete and 9 others like this.
  10. After losing two songs at 20 and 19, I didn't give Paula any points.

It will be interesting to see what 2 songs in the Top 20 @Robsolete didn't vote for.

DJHazey and Robsolete like this.
  11. Oh, 'Straight Up'. How I love you. You really should’ve made the top 10.

It was a song on my 12 line and just missed out. Forever Your Girl was one of the first cds I ever had. I was pretty obsessed with Paula. Even at age 10, though, there was something about this song.

Like many here, I imagine, at any given time there are songs bouncing around your head even when you’re not listening to music. Despite the tens of thousands of songs I’ve heard in my life, in these moments where random songs are just floating around in my head, 'Straight Up' is one of only about 20 or 30 of these songs that have continually played in my head, for 30 years. It literally entered my head at age 10 & never left.

For awhile I thought this likely had a lot to do with nostalgia or some other comforting factor and that likely plays into it some. The reality though, and I know this a big messy opinion with the amount of quality songs in this rate, is I think it’s arguably the best upbeat song in the rate. Maybe one of the best upbeat pop songs ever written.

As someone who has dabbled in songwriting in various degrees since I was young, at some point you learn enough about the craft & you start to dissect the songs that haunt you or that you are obsessed with. 'Straight Up' became one of those songs for me. It is one of the catchiest songs I’ve ever heard, to this day.... and over the years I just started to break it down and marvel at why. The craft of it all.

The whole song is just hook after hook.

On nay given week, even if I haven't heard or played this song in a year the Pre-Chorus pops into my head at least once:

"I've been a fool before
    Wouldn't like to get my love caught in the slammin' door
    How about some information, please?"

(
    oh & the "Abb-b-b-bye, b-b-b-bye" from the bridge.)

That: Bridge > Breakdown > Pre-Chorus - Extended > Chorus that happens halfway through the song. Wow.

On top of that there is the layered production that just drops loop after loop after of musical hooks on top of the beat.

The real secret weapon here (and this was a dangerous opinion at times in my life..haha!), is Paula’s vocal. Look, I get it, she was never any kind of vocal powerhouse. Hell, I know she was even at the center of lot of controversy of how much of her actual voice was mixed in certain songs. All that said, I love her voice and it is perfection on a song like this. Adding to the magic is all the vocal adlibs & playful lyrical phrasings sprinkled through the song. It's probably one of the best lyric reads of a pop song I've ever heard.

The whole song is a pop sundae I never get tired of & actually only grow more fond of as I get older.

Add in the video (with Paula's tap dancing & Arsenio's cameo) and it it is one of the most iconic complete packages of 80s pop I can think of. A time capsule of perfection.

12. It truly is one of the best choruses in the rate. I've caught myself singing along to it for no reason too many times to count during all of this.

Fun fact:

Every single 10 except mine came in the last 25 voters, and like half of the scorers overall. So needless to say, "Straight Up" was practically flopping somewhere outside the Top 50 before the late rally. With that in mind, #18 is great.

Daniel_O likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.