Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#40) | Page 58 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#40)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Apr 5, 2020.

?

Which year has your favorite music, based on the songs in this rate?

1. 1980

16.4%
  2. 1981

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1982

1.8%
  4. 1983

14.5%
  5. 1984

12.7%
  6. 1985

10.9%
  7. 1986

7.3%
  8. 1987

9.1%
  9. 1988

12.7%
  10. 1989

14.5%
  1. For me it's:

1. Love is a Battlefield
    2. All Fired Up
    3. Don't Walk Away
    4. We Belong
    5. Hell is for Children

She's actually released a couple of not-bad tracks this year on Spotify...

DJHazey and Eric Generic like this.
  2. I just adore We Belong! Me and my brothers use to sing it together with some doing the drum parts and others doing the vocals. Such a special song to me

3. [​IMG]

Heart - These Dreams

[​IMG]

70 Points | @DJHazey (12) @Remorque (12) @invertedbutterfly (7) @unnameable (7) @idratherjack (6) @Auntie Beryl (6) @Seventeen Days (5) @Eric Generic (5) Hazey's Mom (3) @marie_05 (3) @Hudweiser (2) @pop3blow2 (1) @JonBcn (1)

Release | January 18, 1986

Charts | #1 [US] #8 [UK] #6 [Canada] #33 [Billboard 1986]

2020 Plays | 42 million [YouTube] 28 million [Spotify] 131,000 [Last.FM]

Album | Heart

Genres | Power Pop

Writers | Bernie Taupin, Martin Page

Producers | Ron Nevison

12s | @DJHazey - So yeah, this would likely be my choice as an overall #1 song. It certainly was the first one I knew would get one of my 12s. The funny thing is like a lot of the music here that I gave points to, I've only had it in my playlists for a couple of years now. So to me if feels like a brand new all-time favorite despite the fact then when I did hear it recently, I knew I recognized it from my childhood or somewhere. We've had some stories about how voters have vividly remembered when they first became acquainted with the music in this rate. Unfortunately, I was only 7 years old in 1990, so anything from those years is a distant memory. Part of the problem is my childhood was really rough, so I think I subconsciously block a lot of it out. It's not good memories for the most part, so I don't know why I have this weird connections to the music of the day. It isn't the only song in this rate where once I heard it as an adult I instantly thought to myself "wow, I swear this was playing a lot when I was toddler or a little older, it feels like I've known it forever". The other song got high points from me as well. But it's clear to me my birth mother (I'm adopted by my birth aunt and uncle) was a huge Heart fan (and probably Fleetwood Mac too) because all of their hit songs were so ingrained in me upon arrival in my adult years despite knowing they were never a part of my life growing up through my time as a teen and young adult. It's probably why I've always had this internalized love for female pop singers my whole life despite not embracing it until my 20s. She was the kind of alcoholic who would have her first Budweiser in hand before breakfast and my birth father too (who is now my uncle and we're on good terms) but they were just party animals who probably blasted classic rock back then and my mother was probably preferring the women vocalists of the genre. Anyways, it's not like I have positive memories attached to the song or anything or negative ones either, it just gives me enough nostalgia so that the song was instantly accessible to me and the fact that I love of huge choruses did the rest. It's quickly become one of my all-time favorite songs, not just in this rate, but ever.

Trivia | Songwriter Bernie Taupin is most famous as Elton John's lyricist, but in the mid-'80s he wrote two lyrics outside of Elton's orbit. He chose Martin Page to compose the music because he was impressed with Martin's group Q-Feel, which had a popular song in Los Angeles called "Dancing in Heaven (Orbital Be-Bop)". The first song Taupin and Page composed was "We Built This City" (one pf this rate's FYCs), which was a #1 hit for Starship. The second was this one, which was originally titled "Boys In The Mist." Taupin wrote the song for Stevie Nicks with a dreamlike feel typical of her work. She turned it down, so Page composed the music and changed the title. He also added, "I didn't quite vibe off of that title, and although I'd only just started with Bernie, the bridge was the chorus to me - it said 'these dreams' was the bridge. I moved the bridge into the chorus and used 'boys in the mist' in a verse setting." After Stevie Nicks turned down this song, it was offered to Kim Carnes, who had previously recorded a few songs Martin Page had written, including "Invisible Hands" and "I Pretend." Carnes liked "These Dreams," but didn't like the vocal range required to sing it, so she passed.

This was the first Heart single where Nancy performed lead vocals instead of Ann. According to The Billboard Book of Number One Hits by Fred Bronson, when it came time for Nancy Wilson to record her vocal, she was suffering from a cold and her voice sounded somewhat raspy and gravelly. After the song reached its peak of success, producers reportedly wanted Nancy to recreate the gravelly sound on future recordings, asking her, "Can't you just get sick again?"

According to the liner notes of Heart, the song was dedicated to Nancy Wilson's good friend Sharon Hess (1963–1985), who died from leukemia shortly before the song was released. The lyrics of the song describe the fantasy world a person enters when faced with a difficult situation in real life. The lyrics of the song describe a woman who is within a world of fantasy that occurs every time she falls asleep, a world where what is and what isn't cannot always be determined, "every second of the night, I live another life." She speaks of wishing to "hide away from the pain". Sharon's sister Shannon Hess-Terlop added, "Sharon was a fan who had a custom, handmade blue acoustic guitar made for Nancy. It was her dying wish to meet Nancy and give it to her. She did get her wish, and was able to spend several days in the recording studio with the band while they were working on this album. She died four weeks later, on Nancy's birthday."

Nancy and Sharon became very close, bonded even during the time she was in California with Nancy. In Nancy's words: "Sharon was my 'soulmate of the sea.' When Sharon got very ill during her visit, and was unable to leave her hotel room, it was Nancy, and Scotty Olson (her then guitar roadie and later bandmate) who got her out of the hotel, and drove her to the hospital on the Presidio in San Francisco (Sharon was US Army)."

Sharon's sister continues, "Nancy later came back to visit Sharon in the hospital, when things were looking so very bleak, we thought she might not make it back home at all. This was the first time I met Nancy. When she arrived, after greeting my mother and myself, she just went into Sharon's room, climbed up on the bed and lay down beside her (Sharon was sleeping). That visit buoyed Sharon's spirits so much, that to her doctor's amazement, she was able to make the horrible trip home via military transport, and she died a few weeks later."

POPGASM, GimmeWork, soratami and 24 others like this.
  4. Imagine not giving that points. It's OK if you cancel the rate now Hazey, rage-quitting is entirely justifiable for this.

5. I did give Heart points...but not this song....they've got one more left in the rate!

6. Haha, maybe you can now see why I hinted this yesterday:

7. For pity's sake, there are not 88 better songs in this rate.

OUTRAGEOUS.

8. And also, my commentary (very long, apologies in advance):

5 Heart | These Dreams
    This made me a Heart fan.

9. I'm sad 'These Dreams' is gone.
    I'm happy I gave 'These Dreams' points, as I feel like Hazey has a list I don't wanna be on. ddd

10. These Dreams deserved to go a lot further. Sublime record.

I'm sure Alone will continue to fly the Heart flag well into the Top 40!

11. I know this is a few eliminations late, but I am listening to the song right now... so I wanted to mention that I really like Alicia Keys' sample of 'What I Am' in her song: 'Blended Family'

12. I find Heart a little overrated. Sorry, everyone.

That said, no clue that Bernie Taupin did songs for them.

13. After Heart was unceremoniously brought to the brink yesterday, we go in a different direction an eliminate the first song from an artist who has three.

It's also the first song in quite some time without a 12 or a 10 to its name.

Tina Turner - We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)

[​IMG]

71 Points | @idratherjack (8) @Sprockrooster (7) @Riiiiiiiii (7) @JonBcn (7) @Eric (6) @Baby Clyde (6) @DominoDancing (5) @Auntie Beryl (5) @pop3blow2 (5) @daninternational (4) @ThislittleZiggy (3) @Filippa (3) @phoenix123 (2) @TéléDex (2) @2014 (1)

Release | January 1985

Charts | #2 [US] #3 [UK] #1 [Australia, Canada, Germany, Poland, Spain, Switzerland] #43 [UK 1985] #57 [Billboard 1985]

Sales | Silver [UK] Gold [Canada, Germany]

2020 Plays | 2.5 [YouTube] 43million [Spotify] 107,000 [Last.FM]

Album | Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Genres | Pop Rock

Writers | Terry Britten, Graham Lyle

Producers | Terry Britten

Trivia | Appeared in the film Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, starring Tina and Mel Gibson - on the heels of Tina's multiplatinum album Private Dancer. This plays over the film's ending credits. Turner also sang the opener, "One Of The Living," which was a #15 hit on the Hot 100 and won the Grammy Award for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance. The film was the third installment of the post-apocalyptic Mad Max series finds star Mel Gibson at the mercy of a nefarious leader named Aunty Entity, played by Tina Turner, who is determined to secure her power over Australia's Bartertown.

It was Turner's first film role in over a decade, the previous being The Acid Queen in the Who's 1975 rock opera Tommy. But the glamorous ruler, clad in a chain-mail gown, wasn't quite what Turner had in mind for her big-screen comeback. "Aunty Entity was not as fierce as I wanted her to be," she told Q magazine in 1988. "I wanted her to go back into the trunk and pull out the clothes that she was wearing when she built that city, because she built herself up from nothing and she definitely wasn't wearing that chain dress and those high-heeled shoes."

Had a Golden Globe nomination for Best Original Song and Grammy Nomination in 1986 for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. As songwriters, Lyle and Britten received the 1985 Ivor Novello award for Best Song Musically and Lyrically.

The music video features Turner dressed in her costume from the film, a heavy chain mail gown. As several spotlights shine on her, she proceeds to sing atop a platform while various scenes from the movie are interspersed. In the last portion of the video, Turner is accompanied by a children's choir and Tim Capello, her tour saxophonist, percussionist, and keyboardist at the time. The music video received an MTV Video Music Award nomination for Best Female Video.

Turner was backed by a choral group from King's House School in Richmond, London. One of the choir members who appeared on the record, Lawrence Dallaglio, became famous as a rugby union star and captain of the England national team.

14. Ooh my. I thought that would do much better. This is the perfect car screamalomg anthem. Like many other tracks here honestly. I am sure I would have lost my voice with a 3 hour drive and listening to this playlist.

Also @DJHazey is this the most voters for a song so far. She lacks real high scores a bit, but seems to rack up a lot in smaller points.

15. Tied with Carly Simon at 15 voters.

16. I never really warmed to this song for some reason. At the time, or now. I think it's the children's choir (I hate children's choirs on pop/rock songs).

Also it's a bit of a plodder that sounds like What's Love Got To Do With It slightly reheated.

17. I do love me a bit of Thunderdome. My favourite part has always been 3:11, where Tina underpins the sax solo by pretending to be a saxophone herself: "Do do doo do do do dooooooo do..." before leaving the musician to it...

18. Producer: Sax Break Tina
    Tina: Sex break? Not for me Thanks - I'll just give you some "Do do do's" instead, how's that?

19. And by far the favourite part to sing along too!

Hairycub1969 and JonBcn like this.
  20. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Tina Turner is LEGENDARIC

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.