Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#43 and #42) | Page 43 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#43 and #42)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Apr 5, 2020.

?

Which year has your favorite music, based on the songs in this rate?

1. 1980

16.4%
  2. 1981

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1982

1.8%
  4. 1983

14.5%
  5. 1984

12.7%
  6. 1985

10.9%
  7. 1986

7.3%
  8. 1987

9.1%
  9. 1988

12.7%
  10. 1989

14.5%
  1. I think the wrong Gloria songs were chosen for this rate. If 'Doctor Beat' and 'Can't Stay Away from You' had been in it, they both would have received points from me.

2. 'Sugar Walls' is the most iconic 80s Sheena Easton track.

3. Indeed!

4. Did you ever want to spend the night in Sheena's sugar walls? #str8ladsofpopjustice

5. Honestly, no. She never appealed to me in that way.

funkyg, Hairycub1969 and DJHazey like this.

6. You're safe for now but someone is joining your club.

This song was not guessed either. 1987.

Samantha Fox - Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now

[​IMG]

43 Points | @Gnuh Gnuh (12) @iheartpoptarts (8) @Ana Raquel (6) @unnameable (5) @Remorque (4) @DJHazey (3) @ohnoitisnathan (3) @Trouble in Paradise (1) @M24 (1)

Release | May 1987

Charts | #8 [UK] #80 [US] #1 [Finland]

2020 Plays | 600,000 [YouTube] 2.6 million [Spotify] 37,000 [Last.FM]

Album | Samantha Fox

Genres | Disco

Writers | Stock Aitken Waterman

Producers | Stock Aitken Waterman

Top Discoveries | @Ana Raquel - "I don't remember ever hearing Samantha's song before. At least, it's not on my dad's 80s repertoire."

Trivia | In 2010 the song was covered by German television celebrity Daniela Katzenberger.

In 2009, Fox re-recorded the song with British producers Pete Hammond, Nathan Thomas, and Carl M Cox. It was supposed to feature on her 2009 "Greatest Hits" album, but as yet the track remains unreleased. The first evidence of its existence was a short clip on the website, www.prolificmedia.co.uk. The 2009 version has subsequently been discovered in its entirety at www.soundcloud.com.

The music video was filmed in Marbella, Spain. Samantha is shown using several forms of 'unstoppable vehicle' including a Sunseeker XPS 34 motorboat, a horse, an Alfa Romeo Spider sportscar, a Cessna Skymaster plane, and a BMX motorbike.

Definitely one of the last songs I included and in retrospect it was probably a cheeky "hey, I'm the host and I get to make a couple of choices" kind of deal. I had discovered the early part of her discography a couple years back and it was literally 'bop bop bop bop' so @Ana Raquel if you loved the two songs here please do yourself a favor and check out her first couple of albums and you'll thank me later!

7. Actually, the next songs on the list as far being the closest to make the cut were 1-2-3, Anything For You, and Get On Your Feet, then probably Can't Stay Away From You.

8. I would have loved to have been the fly on the wall in the recording studio as Prince explains "Sugar Walls" to Sheena Easton!

9. I feel like that one is too much of a bop to be out already!

I bet '1-2-3' could've done a bit better!

berserkboi, DJHazey and Hairycub1969 like this.
  10. The eternal struggle ddd, never knowing what voters will be more receptive of.

11. I just assume everyone is going to like the same songs I like even though they usually don't!

Filippa, abael, berserkboi and 4 others like this.
  12. Me submitting a song to a song contest.

Filippa, Cotton Park, abael and 7 others like this.
  13. The redhead fetish only kicked in with Belinda and Cathy...

Cotton Park, DJHazey and Eric Generic like this.
  14. invertedbutterfly

invertedbutterfly Staff Member

Sort of glad it's not just me, even though it sometimes sucks - but I also want to learn something from @iheartpoptarts here. I think I want to carry that energy forward, because it's a much nicer world where I don't stop being excited to share the things I love, even in the face of mass indifference. It feels like a nicer way to live.

And also I am always right, dammit, it's their mistake not mine.

chanex, Filippa, Cotton Park and 5 others like this.
  15. Just something a bit cold and calculated about her, or that was the vibe I got. Could have been completely off.

berserkboi, idratherjack and DJHazey like this.
  16. Sheena always came across as a bit hard faced, like you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of her. See below...

Still like her but I would never cross her!

17. Yes. Teen EG went for cute, every time.

funkyg, Cotton Park, DJHazey and 3 others like this.
  18. I like Samantha Fox's Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now but for me it's not a patch on her other Stock Aitken Waterman produced hit I Only Wanna Be With You so I couldn't give it points

I am doing quite well so far with only 2 eliminations I gave points to and my only real loss being Tiffany!

19. this robbery oh my i can't

i definitely will listen to them, hazey

20. I was still into cartoons and action figures, when Sheena had strut and sugar walls, by the time Lover In Me & What Comes Naturally were popular, She was one of the sexiest singers in the world to me, in that era, 1987-1991

DJHazey and Cotton Park like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.