Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#47 and #46) | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 80s Rate - Results! (#47 and #46)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Apr 5, 2020.

?

Which year has your favorite music, based on the songs in this rate?

1. 1980

16.4%
  2. 1981

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1982

1.8%
  4. 1983

14.5%
  5. 1984

12.7%
  6. 1985

10.9%
  7. 1986

7.3%
  8. 1987

9.1%
  9. 1988

12.7%
  10. 1989

14.5%
  1. [​IMG]

Why?

Well, the inspiration for this rate of epic proportions came while I was running Ultimate Popstars 2019. I saw all these classic artists whom I realized never got much discussion outside of Comeback Corner. I figured they needed their time to shine. Plus after making many re-discoveries, I knew I would do the same by running a rate like this and add new favorites too -- just like I hope everyone who votes does!

How?

The process of finalizing a songlist for this was a long one (I'm sure everyone saw all the drafts posted in Rate Queues). I started out thinking, "okay so if a song was Top 10 in both U.S. and UK then we'll have a strong list". Wrong, as it left me feeling like so much was being left out. Even when I expanded upon it (to Top 20s), it wasn't enough. It dawned on me that I wanted songs that were not only huge back in the 80s (charts/sales) but have passed the test of time. To quantify that, I used Youtube and Spotify plays as those will often define what an artist's 'legendary' tracks are. It's best the formula I could use since it's kind of subjective. But I'm not an expert on the decade's music, so I brought some of you in via PM. Together, we broke it all down and you made great suggestions that have been added, stuff I wasn't even aware of and would've been big losses to the rate otherwise! Thank you all so much! In the end, there is no chart stipulation as long as a song charted quite well in either the U.S. or UK and has million of plays on both Youtube and Spotify. The limitation for big artists like Madonna, Janet, or Whitney was five. Only one Kylie song because her fan favorites aren't big numbers wise (that would come later). I tried my best to stay objective, but some artists got an extra song because of my personal love for them, think Fleetwood Mac or Heart for example -- but everything here is/was a huge hit so no worries!

Why 125?

A combination of making sure I got everything I wanted in plus the idea of this being like a Popjustice version of one of those VH1 countdowns, when they had celebrities discuss the songs as they revealed each song. You guys being the celebrities - just Popjustice ones! 100 songs just like those countdowns and the other 25 being like a 'Bubbling Under' section. There was a 'Best 100 songs of the 80s' countdown on VH1 and the only female-sung song not on my list is Toni Basil's "Mickey" -- sorry to any fans of it!

What's the scoring method?

Okay, so I thought about this for a while and decided on not going with the standard system. There are ALOT of 10-worthy and 11-worthy songs here. Chances are, many ballots would be littered with 10s and other high scores. To me, this doesn't really demand someone to pick their favorites. Instead, I will ask you to pick a Top 40. Yes I only want you to give points to what you consider the best. Now, I still want everyone to listen to all 125 songs. You'll make many nostalgic re-discoveries and find new gems that might have passed you by, or in the case for many of the younger members on this forum - you were too young to know they existed. Please format the Top 40 as four Eurovision styled Top 10s. A Eurovision ballot means ranking a Top 10 by assigning points to them like this: 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. So in essence you have four "11s" in this rate by giving them 12. So send it in like this:

12 - song
    10 - song
    8 - song
    7 - song
    6 - song
    5 - song
    4 - song
    3 - song
    2 - song
    1 - song

and do that four times. I ask everyone to set aside a "I think this objectively is the best 40 songs" mentality and really pick your personal favorites, because to me this makes the results more varied, unexpected, and exciting.

Comments?

I'm a stats guy, not a words-y person. With this in mind, I really don't enjoy sorting through commentary when I host a rate but I understand people do like writing. I also find it makes it easier for many voters when they know commentary is off the table. My compromise is by saying I will accept commentary for your four 12s and that's it, no other comments are are being asked for or used (so don't spend time doing it and then get upset when I don't post it). In addition, it would be cool for everyone to send in their favorite new discovery from this rate or song they haven't heard in many years that gave them a massive feeling of new found love all over again (a re-discovery). Also, you can feel free to send one song missing from our list that you would've had. Your 'we could've rated this' pick.

So in summation, send in the following:

Your four Eurovision ballots (a Top 40)
    Your comments for your 12s if you choose to.
    Your favorite new discovery or re-discovery from the 125.
    Your one 'we should've had this' song.

Deadline?

I don't think we need more than a month to come up with our Top 40s, so I'm setting it at May 8th, but I'm sure an extension can be worked out if needed.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Remorque, POPGASM, JonBcn and 16 others like this.
  2. Your 'Women of the 80s' Results

ABBA | The Winner Takes It All
    ABBA | Super Trouper
    Blondie | Atomic
    Diana Ross | Upside Down
    Irene Cara | Fame

#49. Blondie | Call Me | 110 Points
    #52. Diana Ross | I'm Coming Out | 107 Points
    #62. Dolly Parton | 9 to 5 | 99 Points
    #96. Olivia Newton-John & ELO | Xanadu | 60 Points
    #97. Barbra Streisand | Woman in Love | 57 Points
    #100. Sheena Easton | 9 to 5 (Morning Train) | 51 Points
    #102. The Pretenders | Brass in Pocket | 49 Points
    #108. Olivia Newton-John | Magic | 38 Points
    #110. Pat Benatar | Hit Me With Your Best Shot | 37 Points
    #115. Blondie | The Tide Is High | 33 Points

Kim Carnes | Bette Davis Eyes

#70. Kim Wilde | Kids in America | 96 Points
    #74. Olivia Newton-John | Physical | 91 Points
    #84. Blondie | Rapture | 76 Points
    #92. Grace Jones | Pull Up to the Bumper | 68 Points
    #106. Sheena Easton | For Your Eyes Only | 41 Points
    #114. The Go-Gos | Our Lips Are Sealed | 33 Points
    #116. Juice Newton | Angel of the Morning | 32 Points

Fleetwood Mac | Gypsy
    Stevie Nicks | Edge of Seventeen
    Yazoo | Only You

#66. Laura Branigan | Gloria | 98 Points
    #98. Dionne Warwick | Heartbreaker | 54 Points
    #112. The Go-Gos | We Got the Beat | 36 Points

Bonnie Tyler | Total Eclipse of the Heart
    Chaka Khan | Ain't Nobody
    Cyndi Lauper | Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
    Eurythmics | Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
    Irene Cara | Flashdance...What a Feeling
    Madonna | Holiday
    Pat Benatar | Love Is a Battlefield

#47. Donna Summer | She Works Hard For the Money | 112 Points
    #48. Bananarama | Cruel Summer | 110 Points
    #79. Nena | 99 Luftballons | 80 Points

Bonnie Tyler | Holding Out For a Hero
    Cyndi Lauper | Time After Time
    Eurythmics | Here Comes the Rain Again
    Laura Branigan | Self Control
    Sade | Smooth Operator
    The Pointer Sisters | I’m So Excited

#53. Madonna | Like a Virgin | 106 Points
    #61. The Pointer Sisters | Jump (For My Love) | 100 Points
    #63. Tina Turner | What's Love Got to Do With It | 99 Points
    #83. Deniece Williams | Let's Hear It For the Boy | 77 Points
    #90. Pat Benatar | We Belong | 69 Points
    #109. Jennifer Rush | The Power of Love | 38 Points

Diana Ross | Chain Reaction
    Kate Bush | Running Up That Hill
    Madonna | Into the Groove
    Whitney Houston | How Will I Know

#59. Grace Jones | Slave to the Rhythm | 103 Points
    #78. Exposé | Point of No Return | 84 Points
    #86. Eurythmics | There Must Be an Angel (Playing With My Heart) | 72 Points
    #88. Tina Turner | We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome) | 71 Points
    #101. Whitney Houston | Saving All My Love For You | 49 Points
    #103. Stevie Nicks | Talk to Me | 44 Points
    #111. Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine | Conga | 36 Points
    #113. Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine | Bad Boy | 36 Points
    #118. Heart | Never | 31 Points
    #120. Heart | What About Love | 29 Points

Cyndi Lauper | True Colors
    Kim Wilde | You Keep Me Hangin' On
    Madonna | Papa Don’t Preach

#60. Bananarama | Venus | 101 Points
    #64. Janet Jackson | What Have You Done For Me Lately | 99 Points
    #65. The Bangles | Manic Monday | 98 Points
    #69. Stacey Q | Two of Hearts | 96 Points
    #71. Janet Jackson | Nasty | 96 Points
    #73. Berlin | Take My Breath Away | 92 Points
    #75. Janet Jackson | When I Think of You | 90 Points
    #80. Anita Baker | Sweet Love | 80 Points
    #82. Samantha Fox | Touch Me (I Want Your Body) | 78 Points
    #87. The Bangles | Walk Like an Egyptian | 71 Points
    #89. Heart | These Dreams | 70 Points
    #91. Carly Simon | Coming Around Again | 68 Points
    #94. Whitney Houston | Greatest Love of All | 66 Points
    #99. The Pretenders | Don't Get Me Wrong | 51 Points

Belinda Carlisle | Heaven is a Place on Earth
    Fleetwood Mac | Little Lies
    Fleetwood Mac | Everywhere
    Heart | Alone
    Kylie Minogue | I Should Be So Lucky
    Taylor Dayne | Tell It to My Heart
    Whitney Houston | I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)

#50. Suzanne Vega | Luka | 108 Points
    #51. Whitney Houston | So Emotional | 107 Points
    #54. Salt n Pepa | Push It | 106 Points
    #67. Fleetwood Mac | Seven Wonders | 97 Points
    #72. Bananarama | I Heard a Rumour | 96 Points
    #76. Tiffany | I Think We're Alone Now | 88 Points
    #81. T'Pau | Heart and Soul | 79 Points
    #105. Samantha Fox | Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now | 43 Points
    #107. Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine | Rhythm Is Gonna Get You | 41 Points
    #123. Tiffany | Could've Been | 20 Points
    #125. Lisa Lisa & the Cult Jam | Head to Toe | 14 Points

Kim Wilde | You Came
    Martika | Toy Soldiers
    Neneh Cherry | Buffalo Stance
    Paula Abdul | Straight Up
    Tracy Chapman | Fast Car

#46. Belinda Carlisle | Circle in the Sand | 115 Points
    #56. Enya | Orinoco Flow | 105 Points
    #57. Roxette | Listen to Your Heart | 104 Points
    #93. Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians | What I Am | 68 Points
    #104. Debbie Gibson | Foolish Beat | 44 Points
    #124. Roxette | Dressed For Success | 17 Points

Cher | If I Could Turn Back Time
    Janet Jackson | Rhythm Nation
    Madonna | Like a Prayer
    The Bangles | Eternal Flame

#55. Janet Jackson | Miss You Much | 105 Points
    #58. Cyndi Lauper | I Drove All Night | 104 Points
    #68. Belinda Carlisle | Leave a Light On | 97 Points
    #77. Tina Turner | The Best | 87 Points
    #85. Lisa Stansfield | All Around the World | 73 Points
    #95. Bette Midler | Wind Beneath My Wings | 62 Points
    #117. Paula Abdul | Forever Your Girl | 31 Points
    #119. Debbie Gibson | Lost in Your Eyes | 31 Points
    #121. Karyn White | Superwoman | 23 Points
    #122. Gloria Estefan | Don't Wanna Lose You | 22 Points

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020 at 5:09 PM
  3. Voting Panel

Artist Champions

(artists with multiple songs in the countdown)

ABBA |
    Bananarama | @Remorque (28) @iheartpoptarts (27) @saviodxl (20)
    Belinda Carlisle |
    Blondie |
    Bonnie Tyler |
    Cyndi Lauper |
    Debbie Gibson | @Gnuh Gnuh (22) @Seventeen Days (15) @unnameable (13)
    Diana Ross |
    Eurhythmics |
    Fleetwood Mac |
    Gloria Estefan | @abael (15) Hazey's Mom (10) @ThislittleZiggy (9)
    Grace Jones | @Cotton Park (20) @kermit_the_frog (20) @2014 (14)
    Heart |
    Irene Cara |
    Janet Jackson |
    Kim Wilde |
    Laura Branigan |
    Madonna |
    Olivia Newton-John | @funkyg (26) Hazey's Mom (16) @WhatKindOfKylie? (11) @gezza76 (11) @POPGASM (11)
    Pat Benatar |
    Paula Abdul |
    Roxette | @girlsaloudjunkie (19) @Hudweiser (11) @phoenix123 (9)
    Samantha Fox | @Gnuh Gnuh (19) @ohnoitisnathan (15) @Remorque (12)
    Sheena Easton | @abael (22) @WhatKindOfKylie? (8)
    Stevie Nicks |
    The Bangles |
    The Go-Gos | @Ironheade (14) @Cotton Park (12) @Music Is Life (8)
    The Pointer Sisters |
    The Pretenders | @Aester (14) @Ironheade (13) @Cotton Park (12)
    Tiffany | @Remorque (14) @Gnuh Gnuh (13) @idratherjack (12)
    Tina Turner | @Eric (20) @Sprockrooster (19) @Filippa (17)
    Whitney Houston |

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 5:15 PM
  4. Between this rate & the Quirky Pop Debuts rate.... my brain!!

This is gonna be great. With so much talent, I couldn't even begin to pick what the top 10 might be.

5. Yas!

This banger is missing dddd

GimmeWork, Remorque, soratami and 5 others like this.
  6. Mentioned it in the writeup! xx

7. It's Eurovison format voting, but I appreciate the sentiment and I agree!

Remorque, soratami, funkyg and 7 others like this.
  8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

oh gosh this looks a bit lit - I'm in!

9. The list looks amazing, I know most of these and I am excited to discover some new treasures, can't wait to do this

10. Excited for this one! I’ll start as soon as I finish my Kylie binge for her rate :)

Remorque, WowWowWowWow and DJHazey like this.
  11. Our first voter already is @Sprockrooster!

I am planning on using this new plug.dj type site watch2gether.com to host three listening sessions over the next few weeks. They will have about 40 songs in each session, so to not have it be too long and hopefully get maximum attendance. I'm open to what timing works best, but I'm thinking I'll do Saturday (so I don't conflict with the Quirky Pop parties) at around 12PM EST/5pm GMT and it should only take a couple of hours.

Remorque, soratami, funkyg and 7 others like this.
  12. That leads to our first stop on the "songs we could've rated' tour! Tracy Chapman. I had some requests during my PM sessions, forming this songlist. I was told this era was a very important one from Tracy and that the rate needed more representation from her. In the end, I had to stick to my guns and make sure songs had some kind of high-charting standards somewhere, or that would open up a can of worms as far letting a lot of other songs in the rate. Tracy had three other singles that did chart from her debut and also moving along to her second album Crossroads. These would be considered if this rate just was a standard compilation of Popjustice favorite singles with no boundaries on commercial performance.

Talkin' Bout a Revolution || #75 (U.S.) #85 (UK) - 1988

Baby Can I Hold You || #48 (U.S.) #94 (UK) - 1988

Crossroads || #90 (U.S.) #61 (UK) - 1989

What I can say is that if I end up doing this for the 90s one day, we will have Give Me One Reason in that rate for sure.

Here's what @Sprockrooster had to say with his ballot, as he also wanted more representation from Tracy.

Tracy Chapman - Baby Can I Hold You. That other big song from the era is honestly a glaring ommission in a rate full of excellence. And this would still be ranked high despite the sheer talent all around. Other faves from miss Tracy are She's Got Her Ticket, Across the Nile and the promo single Talkin' Bout A Revolution. I am damn glad @DJHazey managed to create a rate where miss Tracy is here, but now she is I want so much more. The addiction is real.

That's right, whenever someone sends in a ballot I will make sure I get one of these posts in, if they choose a "could've rated" song of course, and assuming it hadn't been discussed already because I plan to do other ones too throughout the voting period as well. Making a songlist for something like this is never going to be perfect, tough cuts had to be made. I would literally sit there for hours contemplating the decision between two songs, for example. These decisions were not made lightly, so if there's something that got left out I apologize immensely for it but I'm happy with the final list and really wouldn't want to take anything out. But shining the light on songs that narrowed missed the cut is a fun exercise and hopefully makes people discover songs that aren't even in the 125 we have to countdown.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  13. Oop. I meant She's Got A Ticket ddd.

But yes. She is amazing and worth to check out if you haven't!

14. Fixed it.

15. Okay time for the first batch of tags. If I left anyone out that you think would be into an 80s rate, tag them and let me know!

If you are interested in this rate, please let me know and I will be sure to tag you weekly as a reminder. Just know that unlike a traditional rate, you are only asked to rank a Top 40 via four Eurovision-styled Top 10s (details in the first post). Only commentary being accepted is for your four 12s. All other information about what to PM me is also in the first post. If you are not interested also let me know and I won't tag you again. Thank you.

@Music Is Life
    @Untouchable Ace
    @Phonetics Boy
    @berserkboi
    @soratami

16. If you are interested in this rate, please let me know and I will be sure to tag you weekly as a reminder. Just know that unlike a traditional rate, you are only asked to rank a Top 40 via four Eurovision-styled Top 10s (details in the first post). Only commentary being accepted is for your four 12s. All other information about what to PM me is also in the first post. If you are not interested also let me know and I won't tag you again. Thank you.

@Riiiiiiiii
    @Hudweiser
    @NecessaryVoodoo
    @imaduck
    @KamikazeHeart

17. If you are interested in this rate, please let me know and I will be sure to tag you weekly as a reminder. Just know that unlike a traditional rate, you are only asked to rank a Top 40 via four Eurovision-styled Top 10s (details in the first post). Only commentary being accepted is for your four 12s. All other information about what to PM me is also in the first post. If you are not interested also let me know and I won't tag you again. Thank you.

@SophiaSophia
    @Baby Clyde
    @Eric Generic
    @Hairycub1969
    @Ironheade

18. If you are interested in this rate, please let me know and I will be sure to tag you weekly as a reminder. Just know that unlike a traditional rate, you are only asked to rank a Top 40 via four Eurovision-styled Top 10s (details in the first post). Only commentary being accepted is for your four 12s. All other information about what to PM me is also in the first post. If you are not interested also let me know and I won't tag you again. Thank you.

@invertedbutterfly
    @CorgiCorgiCorgi
    @unnameable
    @rawkey
    @Ray

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.