Women of the 90s | Countdown | #41 [Top 40 Recap+Survey] | Page 69 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 90s | Countdown | #41 [Top 40 Recap+Survey]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Walking on Broken Glass out already?

Reminds me of my student days bopping to this in the student's union after putting it on on the jukebox (I miss jukeboxes!). The perfect song for some pool cue choreography

2. I can't at some of you shitting on Amber, literally one of the best dance songs of all time.
    I don't know a single person who dislikes that song in my entire group of friends or anyone on the scene for that matter.
    Guess it was just that much of a club staple in Australia, like 'If You Could Read My Mind' was.

Ezz, londonrain, Pinky25 and 8 others like this.
  3. Yeah the Amber hate is so random to me dd. But I literally know nothing about them as an artist, I just stan the song.

Ezz, londonrain, WowWowWowWow and 4 others like this.
  4. A literal @DJHazey goes gay clubbing in Australia for the songs! Ddd

5. Where is Jackie?!

6. I don't know what's going on but I would love to visit Australia one day!

BubblegumBoy, Ezz, londonrain and 6 others like this.
  7. If we're talking Australian club classics

Used to always hear that on the jukebox in Harold's coffee shop in Neighbours!

Ezz, rav4boy, DJHazey and 2 others like this.
  8. As I said, let's visit the opposite end of the alphabet. Now this is the absolute opposite end, but I had to make it 'songs from U-Z' to provide some intrigue to the hint!

Sadly we lose the rate's hardest rock moment, in my estimation. As I've found in the Irish Ladies rate, Dolores's solo material also provides the same intensity.

[​IMG]

6/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

The Cranberries | Zombie | 102 Points

12 | @marie_05
    10 | @Filippa
    8 | @berserkboi, @DJHazey, @Verandi
    7 | @Ezz, @WowWowWowWow
    6 | @daninternational, @Phonetics Girl
    5 | @JonBcn, @Sprockrooster, @TéléDex
    4 | @Auntie Beryl, @sfmartin
    3 | @Aester
    2 | @Music Is Death
    1 | @Daniel_O, @ohnoitisnathan

Released | September 19, 1994

Genres | Alternative Rock, Grunge

Writers | Dolores O'Riordan

Producers | Stephen Street

Peak Chart Performance | #14 in UK, #22 in US, #1 in AUS/BEL/DEN/FRA/GER/ISL/ZIM, #2 in AUT/NED/NOR/SWE/SUI, #3 in IRE??? Also had a lot of charting in 2018 after Dolores's sudden passing. D:

Year End Charts | #2 in FRA/BEL, #4 in GER, #7 in AUS/AUT/SUI, #17 in NZ (1995), #80 on US Rock Songs (2018)

Top Certifications | Platinum in UK, Platinum in GER, Platinum in AUS

Prominent Covers | Bad Wolves | 2018 | #54 in US, #27 on UK Indie, #7 on CAN Rock, #26 in AUS, #8 on BIllboard Hot Rock Songs Year End 2018, Platinum in US, Silver in UK, Gold in FRA

Prominent Covers | Miley Cyrus | 2020 | #34 on US Digital

Background and Other Facts | This was inspired by the IRA bombing in Warrington, Cheshire, England on March 20, 1993. Two children, Jonathan Ball and Tim Parry, were killed. The IRA (Irish Republican Army) is a militant group that was determined to remove British troops from Northern Ireland.

O'Riordan claimed that "Zombie" speaks about "the Irish fight for independence that seems to last forever." The lyrics even say, "It's the same old theme since 1916." Like the responsive works of Yeats, Heaney and U2, the Cranberries claim they wrote "Zombie" to be a "song for peace, peace among England and Ireland."

On August 31, 1994, just a few weeks after this song was released, the IRA declared a ceasefire after 25 years of conflict, leading some critics of The Cranberries to wonder if the IRA was willing to call a truce to make sure the group didn't release any more songs about them.

This song takes the unassailable position that killing young children is tragic, but in venturing into the political fray, it created a great deal of controversy. This didn't surprise O'Riordan. "I knew that would be the angle of the song, because it was controversial," she told SongFacts. "But, I suppose I was kind of taken aback with the success of the song. I didn't know it was going to be that successful."

The video was shot by Samuel Bayer, who flew to Belfast shortly before the ceasefire to get footage of the area - those are real British soldiers and local children. Bayer intercut these scenes with striking images of Dolores O'Riordan, standing by a cross and covered in gold paint, as similarly gilded children look on. Bayer, who began as a painter, was wildly creative in his videos when given free rein. Getting painted for the video was O'Riordan's idea. Explaining the symbolism, she told us, "It was to make it magnificent in a way, at the cross. It was metaphoric for all the pain that was being caused, and it was slightly religious as well."

The music video for "Zombie" was banned by the BBC because of its "violent images". It was also banned by the RTÉ, Ireland's national broadcaster. Instead, both the BBC and the RTÉ opted to broadcast an edited version focusing on footage of the band in a live performance, a version that the Cranberries essentially disowned. Despite their efforts to maintain the original video "out of view from the public", some of the initial footage prevailed, with scenes of children holding guns. The BBC's decision to ban the video hampered the song's success in the UK, where the song reached No. 14 in the charts.

The Cranberries performed this at Woodstock '94 a month before the single was released.

The Cranberries performed this on Saturday Night Live on February 25, 1995.

The metal band Bad Wolves released a cover of the song on January 19, 2018. The band claimed that Dolores O'Riordan was scheduled to record vocals on the track the day she died four days earlier. There was a huge behind-the-scenes debate involving the metal band's manager and record label over whether or not they should still release the track.

"We almost shelved the song," frontman Tommy Vext told Billboard. "We didn't know what to do with it."

The group decided the best way forward was to release the cover, and donate their proceeds to O'Riordan's three children. "That was kind of how we tried to make a positive situation out of such a tragic one," Vext said. The cover was released the same week of O'Riordan's death, and after a slow start became a huge success, giving Bad Wolves their first Hot 100 entry.

On 16 January 2018, following O'Riordan's death, Colin Parry, father of IRA victim Tim Parry, thanked O'Riordan for the "both majestic and also very real lyrics". "Many people have become immune to the pain and suffering that so many people experienced during that armed campaign", he said. "To read the words written by an Irish band in such a compelling way was very, very powerful."

When the "Zombie" video passed 1 billion views on YouTube in April 2020, The Cranberries became the first Irish band to hit the milestone.

In a contemporary review, Hot Press hailed the song and its arrangements, saying that it was stylistically different from the band's previous works: "Staccato rhythms and subtle jerks and pauses in the music and the singing make this more than just business-as-usual for the Cranberries. A slow, brooding Siouxsie-like buzzing guitar melody and dirge-like bass and drums counterpoint the elliptical and impassioned vocals of Dolores O’Riordan as she works her way through the internal psychic and external human tragedies of the Troubles ... "Zombie" signals a growth in confidence".

9. Did someone order a donk?

This Eurodance cover of Zombie was a shock UK Top 20 hit in 1995 and, of course, my go to version of the song.

10. It always annoys me when people who don't understand the context of this sing it at karaoke.

I grew up pretty close to Warrington and remember feeling the threat of bombings quite vividly.

Still, I'm a hypocrite cos this is

11. This is the one I always got my life to, check it out:

12. So like I said yesterday.

[​IMG]

This is @slaybellz in the car when it comes on and if you can't deal with it, she'll drop you off on the side of the road and continue with her day.

[​IMG]

8/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

Robin S. | Show Me Love | 103 Points

12 | @slaybellz
    10 | @Baby Clyde, @berserkboi, @WowWowWowWow
    8 | @Ana Raquel, @Epic Chocolat, @ohnoitisnathan
    7 | @Cotton Park
    6 | @daninternational
    5 | @Auntie Beryl, @JonBcn, @phoenix123
    3 | @Conan, @MilesAngel
    2 | @No hay banda
    1 | @m_dimitrov

Released | October 13, 1990 (UK) December 21, 1992 (UK re-release) April 23, 1993 (US)

Genres | House, Diva House

Writers | Allan George, Richard Tomlinson, Fred MacFarlane

Producers | Allana George, Fred MacFarlane

Peak Chart Performance | #5 in US, #6 in UK, #2 in ESP, #9 in SUI, #10 in SWE

Year End Charts | #17 in US, #52 in UK (1993)

Top Certifications | Platinum in UK, Gold in US

Prominent Remix | Steve Angello and Laidback Luke | 2008 | #6 in SCO, #11 in UK

Prominent Cover | Sam Feldt | 2015 | #4 in UK/SCO, #63 on UK 2015 Chart

Background and Other Facts | After signing with Big Beat Records in 1993, New York singer-songwriter Robin Stone recorded this as her first single. It became a massive international hit, going Top 10 both in America and the UK and also charting all over Europe. The song has returned to the UK charts on several occasions. In 1997 a re-mix by Lisa Marie reached #9, in 2002 a Tonka re-edit peaked at #61 and in 2009 another re-mix, this time by Steve Angello & Laidback Luke returned the song to the UK charts yet again.

The track is best known for its synthesizer riff, which dominates the mix. Robin S's follow-up single "Luv 4 Luv" used exactly the same formula and peaked at #11 in the UK and #52 in the US.

The original version of the song was released in 1990 on British label Champion Records. When recording the song, Robin S. had the flu. In a 2014 interview, she explained on this: "You hear all of that emotion because I was struggling. I had the flu when I recorded it. That's what you hear, frustration. I wasn't at 100 percent vocally, but I said even if I'm hoarse I gotta do it."

In 1992, Swedish DJ and producer StoneBridge contacted Champion, looking for songs to remix; they suggested "Show Me Love". After they rejected several remixes, StoneBridge created a new mix after hearing Richard’s demo using the "organ" preset on the Korg M1 synthesiser to create the distorted bassline. A few days later, he listened to the remix again; he thought it was "pretty bad", but he was persuaded by his girlfriend to submit it. StoneBridge recalls this process:

"I stripped the track to just the kick drum and vocal, Richard suggested we changed the bass sound I had used for the latest mix for something different which happened to be an organ ... He played it and we then found a snare drum from a record, but it had a kick in it, so it got this heavy attack that worked perfectly with the massive kick. We then put on two string chords in the chorus and put a little distorted stab thing in the intro and it was done in a little bit over four hours."

AllMusic editor Alex Henderson noted that Robin S. is "greatly influenced by Evelyn "Champagne" King but obviously her own person" and added further that "the success of her sleek yet gritty hits "Show Me Love" and "Back It Up" led many to think of Robin as a dance-floor diva."

The song made it to the top five on the Hot 100 in the United States, a rare feat for a house song at the time.

According to The Guardian, "Show Me Love" has influenced contemporary house songs such as Kiesza's "Hideaway" (2014) and Disclosure's "White Noise" (2013), and artists such as Clean Bandit and Felix Jaehn. In 2000, VH1 placed "Show Me Love" at number 73 in its list of 100 Greatest Dance Songs.

In 2006, Slant Magazine ranked the song 41st in its 100 Greatest Dance Songs list, adding, "Show Me Love" was not just one of the biggest house-pop crossovers of the early-'90s club-radio boom, it was also one of the last. At least radio house went out with its face on (that is, before it came back in its more Euro varieties). 1993's "Show Me Love" was as representative as any track of the way house distilled disco's flamboyant, strings-and-all yearning into a minimal thump with skeletal keyboards doing the bulk of melodic support (as defined by Swedish producer Stonebridge's remix)"

Songs We Could've Rated | @Auntie Beryl | Rozalla | Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)

13. I know this is going to be rich coming from me, considering

but I feel like some songs could probably just be left alone? Or like, if you're desperate to oontz up the Cranberries, do if with "Linger" or "Dreams"?

PS did you ever hear this shelved first draft for Mohombi?

14. I should point out that I haven't listened to the 'donk' version in forever and only ever listen to original now.

15. Sometimes samples go a bit too far, don't they?

16. I wish I had taken part in this! This is your night would have been my 11!

17. That's the one I shared boo. The released midtempo version is far inferior!

18. Rhythm Is A Dancer - 3.
    Show Me Love - 3.

Quite simply two of the best dance songs of the 90's. In fact, since dance began. Timeless.

Ezz, Cotton Park, Pinky25 and 6 others like this.
  19. I assumed Amber's pronouns were she/her/hers.

20. I love the A.D.A.M. version of 'Zombie'. It's a shining example of one of my favourite sub-genres: 'serious' songs performed by dance acts who are primarily, or only, known for their upbeat and not-serious-at-all songs.

Another example is 2 Unlimited's 'Here I Go': a techno song about being depressed and contemplating/acting on suicidal thoughts ddd. I think the topic was in vogue after Kurt Cobain's death in '94.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.