Women of the 90s | Countdown | #6 ["The OG of LGBTQ anthems for me"] | Page 82 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 90s | Countdown | #6 ["The OG of LGBTQ anthems for me"]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Martika making the Top 40 is the biggest surprise of the rate for me too. I saw her and Paula Abdul as making it about the same way going out before the Top 60 for sure. And we lost Rush Rush way back in the 80s which was a disgrace! I never knew Love... Thy Will Be Done was so beloved on here (and rightly so).

2. Rush Rush was robbed!!

DJHazey, berserkboi and idratherjack like this.
  3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

1. Which song, that has already been eliminated, do you wish had made the Top 40 the most? My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It). The only one of my 12s to leave so far, and unjustly robbed.
    1a. Which song currently in the Top 40 would you have switch places with it? I'd say Hyperballad. It isn't even the best Bjork song in this rate, much less one of the best songs overall.
    1b. Which song in the Top 40 is the biggest pleasant surprise for you? Vision of Love. I seriously didn't see it making this far.
    1c. Which song's elimination shocked you the most? There have been a lot of shockers for me, but I really didn't see Un-Break My Heart leaving at #65 (swiftly followed by I Will Always Love You at #62).
    1d. Is there any song you regret not giving points to? Possibly Dreams. Poor Gabrielle deserved better.
    2. How many 12's do you have left? Three. (When @DJHazey made that post about people who had all their 12s left, he forgot to include me.)
    2a. How many did you expect you'd have left right now? Three or four. The one I thought was most at risk wasn't the one that left, though...
    2b. How many of those songs do expect will make the Top 20? (If you don't have any 12's left, talk about your 10's instead) Two of them ought to be easy top 20 material but I thought the third might not even make the top 40, so the top 20 seems unlikely.
    3. Which radio station needs to have the most eliminations before we reach the Top 30? My bottom three songs in the whole rate are all still here, and they're all in Pure Moods Vicenza, so...
    3a. Which radio station needs to remain untouched until we reach the Top 30? Haan FM and CBOP need to stay intact for a while. Two of the three WKEY songs should stay but the third really needs to leave ASAP. (It won't.)
    3b. Is your favorite radio station doing better or worse than you expected? Well, it's Magia, so it's doing better than expected but still not as well as I'd have liked!

4. I'm honestly starting to think that Martika should have left at #97 or something and it was missed on the spreadsheet.

5. Mixed reviews. We saw one person say that would've taken this song out of the Top 40 and another said it was a pleasant surprised. What am I surprised about? That I only gave it 7 points apparently.

Those who wanted a Magia cull, rejoice, but those who didn't cover your eyes!

[​IMG]

9/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

Aaliyah | Are You That Somebody? | 120 Points

12 | @Aester, @Conan, @torontodj
    10 | @boombazookajoe, @No hay banda
    8 | @GimmeWork, @MollieSwift21, @slaybellz, @WowWowWowWow
    7 | @Dangerous Maknae, @DJHazey, @invertedbutterfly, @Lucy Honeychurch
    3 | @2014
    1 | @chanex

Released | June 16, 1998

Genres | R&B, Pop, Avant-Funk

Writers | Static Major, Timbaland

Producers | Timbaland

Peak Chart Performance | #11 in UK, #21 in US, #1 in NZ, #3 in NED, #11 in CAN

Year End Charts | #6 on US Rhythmic, #26 in NZ

Top Certifications | Gold in NED, Gold in NZ

12 Commentary | @torontodj | After collaborating on the influential One in a Million album, Aaliyah and Timbaland reunited to collaborate on this song which, again, became influential and forward-thinking, and is quite possibly the best single of the '90s in my opinion. The bass, the stark and hypnotic beats, the vocal arrangement, Aaliyah's charisma and enigmatic image all came together to create a masterpiece.

Favorite Re-Discovery | @torontodj | Discovery - I mean, I've always loved it, but I didn't appreciate how truly great it is until this rate.

Background and Other Facts | In the December 2008 issue of Vibe magazine, songwriter Stephen Garrett (Static Major) mentions that Aaliyah did not initially like this song and another Static wrote for her, "Try Again". She recorded them both, though, and they became big hits for her. Aaliyah didn't write songs, but prided herself on being able to interpret them.

A key component to this song is the baby giggling and cooing in the background. This was a unique production element that played to Aaliyah's nickname: "baby girl," which is how Timbaland addresses her in his rap. Many rumors floated around as to the identity of the baby (a popular one was that it came from a home video of Aaliyah when she was little), but the "happy baby" came from a CD from a sound effects library. The same sound was used in Prince's song "Delirious," which in turn was sampled from the 1968 song "Countdown to 6," by Perrey and Kingsley.

This was featured in the movie Dr. Dolittle, starring Eddie Murphy. The soundtrack featured several other Timbaland productions, including "Same Ol' G" by Ginuwine and an All Saints cover of "Lady Marmalade".

He and Stephen Garrett put the song together on very short notice when they got the call to produce a track for the film. Timbaland remembers the gig paying $400,000.

Timbaland did the rap at the end of the song, which has nothing to do with the storyline of the song but serves as effective promotion for him and Aaliyah - by mentioning their names, it ensured that listeners would know the artist and producer when they heard it on the radio. When Timbaland introduces himself as "The man from the big VA," he's referring to his home state of Virginia.

The video was featured on Complex's "The Best R&B Videos of the '90s list" and writer Ernest Baker praised the video. He also felt that her clothes, and choreography in the video was revolutionary and groundbreaking.

Larry Flick from Billboard felt that Aaliyah was on her way to becoming "the New Queen of soundtrack hits" because of this song. Flick also praised the song for its smooth melody and clever lyrics saying "At the same time it has a smooth melody and clever lyrics that will connect with folks who require traditional structure in their pop music."

Damien Scott from Complex felt that Are You That Somebody perfectly captured multiple traits found on Aaliyah's first two albums. According to Scott "Aaliyah's oeuvre was an exercise in self-awareness. Her first two albums carefully toed the line between adolescence and adulthood, displaying a woman exploring the terrain of love, trust, and lust; one who exuded a playful innocence while hinting at a more sultry side. Her crowning achievement, a collaboration between her, Timbaland, and Static Major, "Are You That Somebody," would capture all of that perfectly"

Rolling Stone ranked the song at number 24 on its "50 Best songs of the nineties list".

Slant Magazine ranked the song at number 19 on their 100 best singles of the 1990s list.

Pitchfork
    included the song at number 8 on their Top 200 Tracks of the 1990s.

According to Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine, listening to this song convinced him "to pursue a more soulful sound in his music."​

In 2014, singer Banks performed an acoustic version of this song on a BBC radio 1 Live Lounge.​

6. BOOOO.

I actually didn't like "Are You That Somebody?" all that much during the '90s, largely due to the baby cooing, but I heard it at a club about ten years ago and was like, "Wait a minute, this is amazing." I guess it just clicked for me. Aaliyah's voice is so smooth and slinky. It's a shame so much of her discography is missing from streaming.

A lot of Timbaland's big songs from the mid-00s don't really do it for me anymore, but everything from before that still sounds fresh to my ears.

7. Are You That Somebody? could be released in 2021 and it would still sound cool and innovative. Crazy to think that it was released in 1998! Aaliyah and Timbaland were on another level.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  8. So there was this song people were either pleasantly surprised about or vocally disapproving that it has been included within the Top 40 of these classics.

Different song with a ... in it. Watch out, the 'Kroxers' are coming after ya!

[​IMG]

5/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

Gina G | Ooh Aah...Just a Little Bit | 121 Points

12 | @Ana Raquel
    10 | @daninternational, @idratherjack, @rawkey, @Untouchable Ace
    8 | @Ezz
    7 | @girlsaloudjunkie, @londonrain, @sfmartin, @TéléDex
    6 | @unnameable, @WhatKindOfKylie?
    5 | @phoenix123, @Remorque
    3 | @livefrommelbs, @Lucy Honeychurch
    2 | @2014, @MilesAngel
    1 | @m_dimitrov

Released | March 25, 1996

Genres | Eurodance, Hi-NRG

Writers | Simon Tauber, Steve Rodway

Producers | Steve Rodway

Peak Chart Performance | #1 in UK, #12 in US, #1 in ISR/SCO, #4 in HUN, #5 in AUS/DEN/NOR

Year End Charts | #6 in UK, #23 in AUS (1996), #41 in US (1997)

Top Certifications | Platinum in UK, Gold in AUS, Gold in NOR

We Could've Had 10 Songs From | @Ana Raquel

12 Commentary | @Ana Raquel | This is my favorite Eurovision entry ever. Should have won. It embraces many elements I love in Eurodance, and god as a Eurovision fan, this was a BLESSING during the 90s.

Background and Other Facts | Gina G is an Australian who began as a DJ and singer before emigrating to the UK in 1994. This song got her a record deal, and Gina became the first overseas singer to represent the UK in the Eurovision competition when this song was entered. It came in 8th but was the most successful UK Eurovision entry ever on the US charts.

While recording demos one day, Gina G came across a discarded unnoticed demo tape of this. She completely transformed it into a dance anthem, retaining only the first line of the chorus, the phrase "Ooh aah just a little bit."

Buzzfeed listed the song at No. 25 in their list of The 101 Greatest Dance Songs of the '90s in 2017.

In 2012, "Ooh Aah... Just a Little Bit" was ranked No. 45 in NME's list of the 50 best-selling tracks of the 90s, adding that the song sold 790,000

Aberdeen Evening Express described the song as a "slice of cheesy Europop", adding that "you'll grow to either love or hate it!"

J.D. Considine from the Baltimore Express said that "from its Moog--style synthesizer hook to the galloping electrobeats that drive the chorus, Gina G's "Ooh Aah . . . Just a Little Bit" is clearly a throwback to the sort of synth-pop that owned the airwaves in the late '80s."

Larry Flick from Billboard wrote that "adorable Australian ingénue has already enjoyed massive pop success throughout Europe with this instantly infectious hi-NRG dance ditty. It's easy to predict this single scoring similarly high marks here, thanks in large part to her kewpiedoll vocals and the song's tasty, sugarcoated melody. You'll be singing along to the song's chorus before the track's close, while a bevy of meaty remixes will have you happily twitching around the room."

9. This song is such a BOP! Glad it got inside the top 40, Gina G's Fresh! is an great album too.

10. As long the forum doesn't crash again tomorrow, we'll be seeing these:

Two of the wordier song titles, we'll say five or more words (with parentheses not being counted). So that's two of these:

Better the Devil You Know
    Groove Is in the Heart
    It Must Have Been Love
    It's All Coming Back to Me Now
    It's Not Right But It's Okay
    Love...Thy Will Be Done
    That Don't Impress Me Much
    That's the Way Love Goes

londonrain, funkyg, pop3blow2 and 9 others like this.
  11. Thanks for the tea.

DJHazey and Untouchable Ace like this.
  12. I'm guessing Love... The Will Be Done and It Must Have Been Love.

Untouchable Ace and DJHazey like this.
  13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Are You That Somebody is so original I can never quite believe what I'm listening to when I play it. Ooh Aah is one of the biggest pop rushes ever too.

londonrain, rav4boy, Aester and 3 others like this.
  14. Ooh Aah...Just A Little Bit leaving in Eurovision week is fitting. I gave it deux points. It's so much FUN.
    And as has been said, it should have won the Contest.

I wouldn't like any Swedish or Canadian act to leave tomorrow.

That Whitney song should be Top 20 at least.

15. Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit is the best song we ever sent to Eurovision. Anything Motiv8 touched in the 90s turned to gold with their trademark galloping beat. Gina G herself went on to have a very successful couple of years with her brilliant Fresh! album which is far better than it has any right to be. The boppery!

16. Gonna guess Deee-lite and Martika as the two to go, since I am shocked they made it this far. One is on my ballot so I definitely like the songs!

17. Good to know I haven't sent in my 90s dance divas ballot yet because I know which song I will 11 now. MONSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Let me get started on that while the forum is actually working! Dddd

19. I once had a dream that I moved into Gina G’s old apartment, and I feel like the whole reason I had that dream in the first place was because someone on this forum posted a link to the real estate listing or something?

Anyway, Gina G is an icon and the Popjustice forum haunts my subconscious, thanks for your time xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.