Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"] | Page 100 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Better the Devil You Know wasn't even a hit here in Canada. I don't even think it was released here since Kylie basically disappeared from North America after Enjoy Yourself.

I gave it a 10 because it's, well, iconic and amazing.

2. I am shocked at 'Better the Devil You Know' bombing at #16. Not that I think it deserved much higher ddd. While the song is fairly decent, I think it's a tad overrated among fans.

3. What the hell is 'The Boy Is Mine' still doing in this? Oh yeah, bland was big in the late 90s ddd.

DJHazey and girlsaloudjunkie like this.
  4. I can't at ya'll constantly coming for 'Stay'.
    It is one of the greatest songs of ALL TIME for me and it's outdoing so many of everyone else's faves so I can't be the only one.

chanex, phoenix123, DJHazey and 6 others like this.
  5. *Warning in advance that this will come across in my probably very annoying sunshine, rainbows and lollipops mode*

I definitely like this scoring system much better than a normal rate system (and this reminds me why at this stage I'm much more invested in song contests than rates) - it rewards songs that are people's favourites. I'm personally not very interested in what songs people don't like (or at least much less interested than in what songs they love), and it makes me sad when low scores (something that I think is easy to Game as well) tank people's favourites. It's why I try to think twice before shit-talking songs in contexts like this (and I am not always perfect at this, and would make no claims to be, so I'm sure I have fallen short of this more times than I would care to admit), because they are someone's favourite, and unless I've got something interesting to say, what purpose does it serve?

6. Stay can stay a while longer yet for the video alone

[​IMG]

Filippa, pop3blow2, sfmartin and 10 others like this.
  7. Yes, the 'Stay' video is really something else.

ShakespearsSister.Stay.ezgif.com-crop.gif

8. Well, there's been a lot of opinions thrown about in the thread and sometimes we might need to pause and take some advice from the next song.

[​IMG]

1/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

No Doubt | Don't Speak | 177 Points (+6 to "Better the Devil You Know" and +16 to "You Oughta Know" at #21)

12 | @Filippa, @Sprockrooster
    10 | @Aester, @Hurricane Drunk
    8 | @No hay banda
    7 | @2014, @Ana Raquel, @Daniel_O, @daninternational, @DominoDancing, @GimmeWork, @girlsaloudjunkie, @Music Is Death, @Phonetics Girl, @TheBakersSon
    6 | @Untouchable Ace
    5 | @Baby Clyde, @saviodxl, @soratami, @WowWowWowWow
    4 | @berserkboi, @Hazey's Mom
    3 | @DJHazey, @Ezz, @Holly Something, @Lucy Honeychurch
    2 | @livefrommelbs, @londonrain, @phoenix123
    1 | @chanex, @slaybellz, @TéléDex

Released | April 15, 1996

Genres | Alternative Rock

Writers | Gwen Stefani, Eric Stefani

Producers | Matthew Wilder

Peak Chart Performance | #1 in US, #1 in UK, #1 in AUS/BEL/CAN/DEN/HUN/ISL/IRL/NED/NZ/NOR/POL/ROM/SCO/SWE/SUI, #2 in AUT/GER/ESP

Year End Charts | #16 in SWE (1996), #1 in US, #2 in ROM, #7 in UK, #5 in AUT/SUI, #6 in GER, #7 in BEL, #8 in AUS, #11 in CAN, #18 in FRA (1997)

Legacy Charts | #7 on Billboard Mainstream All-Time, #159 on UK All-Time

Top Certifications | 2x Platinum in US, 2x Platinum in UK, Platinum in GER, Gold in FRA, 2x Platinum in AUS

Background and Other Facts | This song is about the relationship lead singer Gwen Stefani had with bassist Tony Kanal for seven years. Stefani wrote this song with her brother, Eric Stefani, before he left the band - originally it was a love song. After Tony Kanal dumped Gwen, it became a song about heartbreak. Stefani and Kanal broke up during the making of the Tragic Kingdom album, which took about two years to record (1993-1995). Gwen was with the band when they started in 1986; Kanal joined in 1987, and they started dating soon after.

A few other songs on the album also deal with Gwen Stefani and Tony Kanal's breakup, notably "Happy Now?" where Gwen lets him have it. While Stefani processed it by writing songs about it, Kanal internalized it - it wasn't until he heard the songs on the radio that it really sunk in. Despite their split, they continued to work quite well together and were able to maintain a friendship.

Tom Dumont's Spanish guitar solo was spliced together from six different studio takes. "I was thinking about how any true classical players would've hated the way I did it," he said. "I played it with a pick - a huge no-no."

This song got a boost when No Doubt played it on Saturday Night Live December 7, 1996.

Although never released as a single in the US, "Don't Speak" went straight to #1 in the UK on February 22, 1997 and stayed there for three weeks. It was their biggest UK hit; when the song took off, "Just A Girl," which was released earlier and stalled at #38, was re-released, this time going to #3.

Thanks to this song, No Doubt was nominated for Grammy Awards (Best Rock Album and Best New Artist) and an American Music Award (Favorite New Artist Pop/Rock), but didn't win. Their first trip to the podium came at the 1997 MTV Video Music Awards, where "Don't Speak" won for Best Group Video. It was the first of several No Doubt videos directed by Sophie Muller.

The video is a commentary on the attention the media lavished on Stefani while ignoring her bandmates. The boys all give Gwen dirty looks and seem to be kind of upset all through the video. Kanal commented: "We didn't want it to be about a normal breakup. So we thought: 'What would be the saddest thing that could happen? The band splitting up?' So that's what the video's about. Tensions in the band had been running high and they reportedly were on the verge of breaking up the day before they were scheduled to film the video. They decided to go ahead and film it as a form of "therapy".

A cartoon version of No Doubt performed this on the animated TV show King Of The Hill in 2001. In the show, they play a prom after Bobby Hill wins a contest.

Carly Rae Jepsen released a cover of the song recorded live at Electric Lady Studios in New York City as one of her Spotify Singles.

"Don’t Speak" was ranked at number 495 on Blender magazine's "The 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born".

That means Natalie Imbruglia and "Torn" has joined Spice Girls and "Viva Forever" as radio station winners thus far.

Filippa, rawkey, pop3blow2 and 30 others like this.
  9. Should have been top 10!
    My ex-boss used to work with her dad at a market research company and she met her once. Never been more jealous

10. Ezz

Ezz

Siobhan being drunk off a bottle of vodka yet still stealing the video will forever be iconic!

11. Done very well this one, think it's a song you either love or hate to be honest.

Untouchable Ace and DJHazey like this.
  12. "Don't Speak" was so inescapable in the '90s. #7 on Billboard Mainstream All-Time is no surprise. And I still love it despite that.

13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Hating Don't Speak just proves you don't have feelings and might as well be a robot, sorry I don't make the rules!!

14. Oh dear, I go away for a while and return to a slew of disastrous eliminations!

TLC really shouldn’t be out of the game at this point, they were the definitive 90s R&B act for me! There are no words, really. I thought No Scrubs would be top 10 at the very least.
    Still screaming at the Dave Coulier thing, though. Who could have guessed that Uncle Joey’s impact would go way beyond Full House, inspiring the two ultimate man-bashing anthems of the 90s? Ha!

The Spice Girls being down to just one song is such a mess! Surely they’re the ultimate 90s pop icons? That being said, I didn’t give Wannabe any points. Sure, it’s iconic and all, but it’s just too omnipresent and a bit “novelty” compared to the rest of their discography. Say You’ll Be There is the song that truly cemented them as a brilliant pop act beyond the slightly gimmicky image Wannabe portrayed, it showed that they could also do songs with an attitude without being too on-the-nose.
    I hate that whenever you hear the Spice Girls on the radio or in random places in this day and age, it’s always Wannabe. Anyway, 2 Become 1 would have been an obvious 12 for me.

If is definitely Janet’s finest moment.

Genie In A Bottle missed out on points from me (I think), but how many other songs do we know with a triple entendre?

15. I feel the same way - I hate seeing their legacy being reduced to just Wannabe, they're so much more.
    I hope someday another song picks up in popularity and streaming but it's probably too late for that now.

16. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

We just need Spice Up Your Life to become a TikTok challenge.

17. I may not have voted for it, but surely Viva Forever needs to be top 10? A top 10 without them, would feel just wrong somehow.

18. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

It’s one of my least favourite singles by them, though. It really shouldn’t be the last Spice Girls song standing.

19. I thought that honour would have gone to Say You'll Be There to be honest, but fair play to Viva Forever all the same. Even my non loving Spice Girls boyfriend, likes that one.

DJHazey and londonrain like this.
  20. Viva Forever was such a moment on tour, for that reason it was my highest scoring Spice song in this rate (& my last 12) so I am really hoping for top 10!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.