Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"] | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. I bought a cassette walkman last year in a thrift shop and I was surprised at how good it sounded. I like the interaction of cassette players (flipping the tape over). It feels like you're part of the album experience.

Obviously I hate it when the tape gets stuck or jammed. But cassettes were the main means of how I listened to music growing up during the '80s into the '90s, so they will always be special to me.

2. [​IMG]

3. See that makes sense to me though, in that it is a familiar format to you and you have positive associations with it. I suppose it’s more that I don’t get how anyone who was born into the digital world of iTunes and streaming would say “You know what would be more fun than being able to listen to any song anytime I want at the click of a button? Having to guess where the song starts and switching forward and backward until I find it!”
    Is there a similar burgeoning market for VHS tapes? Maybe Laserdisc will be next?

Remorque, chanex, pop3blow2 and 6 others like this.
  4. Hey look at @soratami making waves with their bottom five songs list, which will have some people now saying something along the lines of "see, when you do clownery..."

[​IMG]

19/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

Salt-n-Pepa and En Vogue | Whatta Man | 31 Points

7 | @Holly Something
    6 | @boombazookajoe
    5 | @Ana Raquel, @slaybellz
    3 | @chanex
    2 | @Auntie Beryl, @Epic Chocolat
    1 | @rawkey

Released | December 2, 1993

Genres | R&B, Hip Hop

Writers | Cheryl James, Dave Crawford, Hurby Azor

Producers | Hurby Azor

Peak Chart Performance | #3 in US, #7 in UK, #2 in AUS

Year End Charts | #14 in US

Top Certifications | Platinum in US, Silver in UK, Platinum in AUS

Prominent Covers
    | Lena in 2011, #21 in GER

This Song Covers | 1968 single by Linda Lyndell

Significant Facts | "Whatta Man" has popped up in the many places over the years. It is used in the soundtrack to the 1996 Wes craven film Vampire in Brooklyn; Salt-N-Pepa turned up in person at Wrestlemania XI to perform it for the match between Lawrence Taylor and Bam Bam Bigelow. It's also the theme for wrestler Jason Knight in Extreme Championship Wrestling, and is referenced in an episode each of the TV shows 30 Rock and Sister, Sister. But fans of the TV medical drama House just know it as Gregory House's ringtone. It was also used in the 2019 movie Captain Marvel and in episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Vampire Diaries, RuPaul's Drag Race, The X Factor and The King of Queens.

"He knows that my name is not Susan" alludes to a Whitney Houston song called "My Name Is Not Susan," which hit #20 in 1991. That song is about a guy who calls his girl by the wrong name - likely the name of his mistress.

"He keeps me on Cloud Nine just like the Temps" refers to the 1968 hit by The Temptations.

The collaboration was very effective, as En Vogue provided the retro-soul sound to accompany the '60s-based track. The group was coming off a string of hits from their 1992 Funky Divas album, and "Whatta Man" kept them, er, en vogue in 1994, as the track reached its US chart peak of #3 in February. En Vogue didn't release another album until 1997, when they returned with EV3.

"Whatta Man" was ranked number 23 on VH1's countdown of the 100 Greatest Songs of the 1990s.

The video was directed by Matthew Rolston, who also did En Vogue's "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)" and TLC's "Creep". En Vogue appear in the video along with Salt-N-Pepa and a collection of guys representing the good men. The girls got to pick their fantasy men to appear with them in the video. Salt's man is Tupac Shakur, who nearly missed the shoot because he shot two off-duty cops the day before (charges against him were dropped). At the time, Pepa was dating Treach (Anthony Criss) from Naughty by Nature, so he appears in the clip as her "mighty good man."​

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  5. Some of these songs did not make my ballot because of the competition but Salt-N-Pepa fully out already means the rate went pear shaped pretty fast! Ddd

6. The thing about laserdiscs is the packaging was GORGEOUS. Really the best packaging of any of the formats VHS, DVD, Blu-ray. Like vinyl, they would often come in deluxe packaging, with foldouts where you would get stills from the film or on-set photos, or essays from the director or screenwriter or a film historian. The Thelma and Louise LD was like that. Just stunning. Or the Aliens box set.

Madonna's Truth or Dare/In Bed with Madonna like all LDs came in vinyl-size and it looked gorgeous. At a screening of Strike a Pose, Jose Gutierez kindly signed it for me but didn't want to write his signature on Madonna (probably out of fear she would feel it and exact some type of witchery revenge - I kid - kind of). On the back it had the infamous photo of Madonna's bare back to the camera, with "All Access" written on her back.

7. Before we get too far away from them, I want to mention: the first time I saw the B*Witched name in print, I spent an unacceptably long period of time wondering what Irish slur was being censored thanks to the *.

Remorque, pop3blow2, soratami and 5 others like this.
  8. So who are the Salt'N'Pepa champions?

How are we already eliminating multi-song artists?

9. I did say two songs from a previously eliminated radio station would be getting the axe and it happens back-to-back. This song got 13 small-point votes, compared "Whatta Man" just getting 8 voters. The next time we see a song get as many as 13 voters is all the way up at the #102 rank, so 20 spots away.

[​IMG]

18/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

Kelis | Caught Out There | 31 Points

6 | @GimmeWork
    5 | @Lucy Honeychurch
    4 | @2014, @Phonetics Girl
    3 | @No hay banda
    2 | @TéléDex
    1 | @Baby Clyde, @berserkboi @daninternational, @Ezz, @JonBcn, @Verandi, @WhatKindOfKylie?

Released | September 20, 1999

Genres | R&B

Writers | Pharrell Williams, Chad Hugo

Producers | The Neptunes

Peak Chart Performance | #4 in UK, #54 in US, #3 in NED

Top Certifications | Silver in UK

Significant Facts | Pharrell Williams of The Neptunes said in an interview that the instrumental track was originally meant for rapper Buster Rhymes, who rejected it.

In 2003, Q magazine ranked "Caught Out There" at number 649 in their list of the "1001 Best Songs Ever".

In 2010, Pitchfork named it the 161st-best track of the 1990s. They wrote, "Soundtracking this post-breakup mania is a top-rate, ahead-of-its-time Neptunes production, with snapping keyboards accompanied by high-pitched tones that sound like dynamite exploding in space. In a word: Damn."

In 2012, NME placed the song at number 24 on its list of the "100 Best Songs of the 1990s".

In 2012, Porcys listed the song at number 24 in their ranking of "100 Singles 1990-1999", adding, "Here's the classic Kelis at its best. A perfect, uncommon bit of Neptunes in the foreground is the perfection of this protest- or rather statement-song."

The song was used on MuchMusic's Shortest Weddings special. The signature yell "I hate you so much right now!" was used in the Daria episode "Partner's Complaint", first aired on February 25, 2000, and later in 2009 in British children's television sitcom Hotel Trubble. It was also used in BBC3's Most Annoying People 2010, under Tony Blair (11 on the list), and in 2011 in a Calvin Klein ad for CK One. In 2010, the line "look, I found her red coat" was sampled extensively in the James Blake song "CMYK".

----

I'm going to be randomly sprinkling in some of our "Songs We Could've Rated" that some voters sent with with ballots. These will usually come at the end of write ups without any other voter-provided commentary/superlatives. Here's our first one from @berserkboi:

I realized I should've had this at the end of a JLO song in the rate (much like I did in similar circumstances where I would try match additional songs with their artist) but oh well can't change it now!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  10. [​IMG]

I did other stuff this time, that was a "Women of the 80's" rate specialty!

11. I love all the talk about cassettes... especially singles. I found a box of music ephemera in my closet a while back and it contained an old Camelot Music Card: Buy 10 cassette singles get your 10th free! I used to burn through those things. (Camelot was a US music store chain.)

Also, a fun little story. In the mid 00s when I worked at a used media store, the guy who ran the music section loathed cassette singles (to be fair, they didn’t sell for shit no matter how low we priced them and were fiddly to deal with.) Once he learned I had a soft spot for them, he just collected them up in box and gave them to me every week (sometimes selling them to me for a $1 so the manager would be less grouchy about it... ha!) I literally had hundreds of them, he gave me over a couple of years. I finally let them go in huge a lot a few years ago when I was downsizing. It was a time capsule of the 90s, though.

Remorque, funkyg, torontodj and 9 others like this.
  12. Caught Out There being my first song to fall isn’t surprising! The reasons it didn’t score more points from me was that I already got to stan in @soratami’s amazing Rate & I also do not really view it as a 90s track (ddd). Had it been in a 00s Rate - it would get 8+ from me. Sonically ahead of its time (even more so considering) - Kelis did that from the start!!

Let’s Get Loud is fabulous so I don’t mind Kelis and JLo sharing the spotlight here!

Remorque, GimmeWork, soratami and 6 others like this.
  13. I had no idea the 90s even had Kelis songs? I guess it was more of a thing in the UK.

14. Well this is going terribly thus far. Whatta Man out already?! Big yikes.

15. Oh for Christ's sake, when I said how many more "Poor Poptarts!" moments are we going to have, I DID NOT mean we should get another one this quickly! From her other favorite station that takes its first hit.

[​IMG]

20/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

Whigfield | Saturday Night | 34 Points

12 | @iheartpoptarts
    8 | @idratherjack
    6 | @ohnoitisnathan
    3 | @daninternational
    2 | @Ana Raquel
    1 | @marie_05, @MilesAngel, @unnameable

Released | 1992 (Italy) 1994 (Worldwide)

Genres | Eurodance, Bubblegum Dance

Writers | Larry Pignagnoli, Davide Riva

Producers | Larry Pignagnoli

Peak Chart Performance | #1 in UK and various other European countries. #19 on US Hot Dance Club Play

Year End Chart | #2 in UK

Top Certifications | Platinum in UK, Platinum in GER, Gold in FRA

@iheartpoptarts Commentary | "I was definitely too young for any sort of Saturday night activities that weren’t slumber parties so I just did gymnastics to this in my yard instead. And used it to soundtrack said slumber parties along with the rest of Dance Mix 95, the most iconic compilation of all time in Canada."

Significant Facts | When this song went straight in at #1 on the UK charts, Whigfield became the first female artist to go directly to #1 in the UK with a debut single. In its first week it sold more copies in the UK than any single since Band Aid. It became the third million seller by a woman in Britain.

This was originally a big hit for Danish born Whigfield on continental Europe, topping the Spanish charts for 11 weeks in the summer of 1994. UK holidaymakers heard it while on vacation on the continent that summer and created a buzz for it back home. The easy to learn dance that went with it in the clubs also helped sell this song. It went on to sell over 2 million copies worldwide.

Here is said dance:

In November 2020, the song was 'adopted' by the Scotland national football team during celebrations following their qualification for UEFA Euro 2020 (with the team's goalkeeper "David Marshall" substituting for "be my baby")

Here is that celebration:

Insert Hazey the international football fan: you have to understand the Scotland national team has done next to nothing for decades, so qualifying for EURO 2021 was huge for them.

The Guardian ranked "Saturday Night" number 91 in their list of The 100 greatest UK No. 1s in 2020.​

16. Oh you knew it was coming Hazey!

Hugs to all the flawless voters! The rest of y'all are Monday people and I hereby declare the Scotland national football team more fun than you.

17. Guess who you will be rooting for when do EURO 2021 forum games later this year?

Remorque, funkyg, soratami and 3 others like this.
  18. Shocking that Whatta Man is already out. What a song! Saturday Night almost made my ballot but I couldn't do it in the end.

As for Caught Out There, the first time I heard that song was for @soratami's R&B Bop Queens Rate and I tanked it so...

19. Is this the game where we try to guess the sports scores and we all lose to @Derek?

Remorque, Derek, Filippa and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.