Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"] | Page 47 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Situation:Critical is a beast of an album. Great, timeless dance music sung by a diva with that soulful, throaty voice. Perfection. I adore Free. One of the best dance songs of the '90s -- heck one of the best of the songs of the '90s. You know it's a good song when you think the 12:00 minute extended dance mix is still too short.

Do agree with @idratherjack that "If You Could Read My Mind" is classic. If it had been in this rate, it probably would have been one of my 12s.

As for Celine, as a Canadian, I adore her. But I did let her down in this rate. I didn't rate My Heart Goes On in my Top 40 as there are other Celine songs that I appreciate more. I am surprised Think Twice didn't make it into this rate considering it was a huge success in the U.K. I was puzzled that it didn't hit in North America since it was one of the best songs from The Colour of My Love. The U.K. got it right and has taste!

2. Don't worry, she'll take all of us who gave it points out for ice cream!

Something something, some songs you "don't put a donk on".

funkyg, Ezz, slaybellz and 5 others like this.
  3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I don’t think @WowWowWowWow recognises this rule. He’ll be making sure his funeral playlist has dance remixes of every hymn, dirge and elegy so his coffin is carried along with the bearers bopping to the beat the whole way.

Ezz, slaybellz, soratami and 6 others like this.
  4. I love this song to the moon & back. There's no way in hell it could've ever been included here (for obvious chart math reasons), but it an alternate world it's a legit 12 contender for me.

5. Literally this then.

[​IMG]

New Orleans jazz funerals found searching for the thunder this funeral stole from them.

6. KROX The Roxbury is my favourite radio station, but I made decided to only have 10 songs from it at most.
    Unfortunately Free was 11th, so only just missed the cut. An absolute classic dance track.

berserkboi, DJHazey and WowWowWowWow like this.
  7. Tell it to Steve Aoki!

8. That IS quite a big shock about My Heart Will Go On being out this soon, one of the most iconic songs of the decade and all time.

berserkboi, DJHazey and idratherjack like this.
  9. I too subscribe to the school of thought that there is no song that doesn't sound better with a donk on it. Here's my go to version of My Heart Will Go On

I remember my local gay club played the Almighty cover until that came out and blew it out the water!

10. This is just seriously good!

berserkboi, DJHazey and idratherjack like this.
  11. When you say Late 90s Dance Divas are we talking Amber, Kristine W, Tina Cousins? Sign me up!

12. I remember I was writing for a magazine here in Toronto and got to go to the Juno Awards (the Canadian version of the Grammy Awards) and got in line to ask Queen Celine about the dance remixes of My Heart Will Go On (it was the year where she was nominated for everything for the Titanic song). The lineup of journalists was so long that I didn't get my chance but I had a better question than the rest!!

13. They and dozens of others will be there!

14. Amiel - Addicted To Bass.mp3 dddd

15. Take it up with @Island

16. That would be a kindness. Y'all deserve the Chokey. What the actual fuck.

DJHazey, WowWowWowWow and berserkboi like this.
  17. Island

Island Staff Member

It’s a feature so no!

18. Reminds me of when I recently found out Paloma Faith is literally called Paloma Faith Blomfield.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  19. I'm sure she's said before it was because she'd already had such a huge hit with Because You Loved Me, which was also from a film (Up Close & Personal) and she didn't want to become known as a 'soundtrack queen'

20. We love Whitney Houston!

GimmeWork, DJHazey, Robsolete and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.