Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"] | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. It took this Rate for me to realise that despite thinking both Show Me Love-zzz are 10s - I definitely prefer one over the other!

2. Robyn's Show Me Love, is the only one for me!

3. Amen!

idratherjack, DJHazey and berserkboi like this.
  4. Nooo not Bitch! Leave my Lilith Fair girlies alone!

And "always been told that i've got too much paridah" Show Me Love is a great song, but one I didn't discover until I was much older so it doesn't hold a special place in my heart like the other Max Martin songs in here. And yeah definitely prefer the other Show Me Love.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  5. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Show Me Love is incredible. I remember being obsessed with it back in the day when the video was in heavy rotation. The double whammy of this and Do You Know (What It Takes) made Robyn easily one of my favourite artists at the time... but I couldn’t get her album anywhere.

6. Show Me Love, is just like a ray of sunshine in a single song.

7. Well, I didn’t like Foolish Games back in the 90s at all, but it has aged extremely well, hasn’t it? At the time it just sounded dull, but its appeal didn’t hit me until much later.

Colour me shocked that Ultra Naté is actually her real name! It sounds like a stage name if there ever was one.

Where Does My Heart Beat Now and Because You Loved Me are Celine’s best singles, I think. I’ve never been able to warm to My Heart Will Go On for the same reason I Will Always Love You will never click, both are just too on the nose with their respective subject matters.

Vanessa Amorosi was actually on my list until it suddenly hit me that I forgot one of the En Vogue singles entirely (the horror!) and had to go back to the drawing board. Vanessa truly is one of the greatest singers on the planet, I just wish the material actually lived up to her immense potential. Under the right circumstances, she could have been huge.

Isn’t it a funny coincidence that Robin Schulz also released a song called Show Me Love?

8. WHAT THE FUCKKKKKK????????

9. Another long gap for Magia 97.1 (Their eliminations have been #117, #100, and now #86) and another of our 80's rate artist that voters pushed to have a 90's song get added. It's also the first time we've had a song with as few as 11 voters since "Freak Like Me" had only 10 voters at #98.

[​IMG]

15/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

Paula Abdul | Rush Rush | 74 Points

12 | @idratherjack
    10 | @Epic Chocolat, @phoenix123
    8 | @funkyg, @WhatKindOfKylie?
    7 | @Hurricane Drunk
    6 | @pop3blow2, @torontodj
    5 | @unnameable
    1 | @girlsaloudjunkie, @invertedbutterfly

Released | May 2, 1991

Genres | Pop, R&B

Writers | Peter Lord

Producers | Peter Lord & Vernon Jeffrey Smith

Peak Chart Performance | #1 in US, #6 in UK, #1 in CAN, #2 in AUS

Year End Charts | #4 in US, #8 in CAN, #19 in AUS (1991)

Legacy Charts | #64 on Billboard 1990s Chart, #77 on Billboard All-Time Chart

Top Certifications | Gold in US, Gold in AUS, Gold in SWE

Background and Facts | As a singer, Paula Abdul is most remembered for her debut album and its hits "Straight Up", "Opposites Attract", and the title track, "Forever Your Girl". It was this ballad from her second album, however, that was her biggest chart hit, staying at #1 in the US for five weeks in 1991 and giving Paula her fifth #1 hit. The song was a stylistic departure for Abdul, whose background was in dance and choreography. While her first album relied on uptempo tracks with heavy production under the tutelage of a voice coach, her venture into ballads on her next album was very successful and earned her an audience on Adult Contemporary radio. She followed "Rush Rush" with another #1, "Blowing Kisses in the Wind," and also hit the charts with "The Promise of a New Day" and "Will You Marry Me?".

The video was inspired by the James Dean movie Rebel Without A Cause, and it featured Paula starting a drag race in a remake of the iconic scene. One of the drag racers in the video was played by Keanu Reeves. The up-and-coming actor had some experience with the role: he portrayed a very bad drag racer in the 1989 movie Parenthood.

This song was written by Peter Lord, who was in an R&B/funk band called the Family Stand. He wrote "Rush Rush" solo, but teamed up with his Family Stand bandmates V. Jeffrey Smith and Sandra St. Victor for three other hits from Spellbound which earned Lord the title of Billboard magazine's Pop Songwriter of the Year for 1991. Lord has the following to say about "Rush Rush" -- "'Rush, Rush' actually began as a dare or a joke with my Family Stand bandmate, Sandra St. Victor. Babyface was one of the top songwriters/producers at that time, and I told her I could write one of his type of hit ballads in my sleep (no disrespect). I ran to the piano and playfully played the first chords that would begin 'Rush, Rush' and sang, 'You're the whisper of a summer breeze... You're the the kiss that puts my soul at ease...' I then looked at her and said 'Wait a minute, that's not bad!'"

Songs We Could've Rated | @Epic Chocolat | Taylor Dayne | I'll Be Your Shelter | Not the most, but I thought a lot about Taylor Dayne's I'll Be Your Shelter and I'll Wait while I listened to these songs.

10. When I was tagged in that elimination I just knew it was going to be Rush Rush. For a song that was such a big hit at the time I feel it has been unfairly forgotten over time and I knew it wouldn't be long for this rate, though it has done a little better than I feared.

Such a beautiful, underrated song and my favourite Paula Abdul track. I rate Spellbound as Paula's best album and Rush Rush, The Promise of A New Day and Vibeology are my holy trinity. The video is iconic with a young Keanu Reeves and I love Paula's acting in it ("isn't that terrible?")

The way my 12s are dropping now I will be lucky to have any left come the Top 40!

11. I'll Be Your Shelter is one of my fave songs of ALL TIME!!!

12. The next elimination

Got three 12's and was a past rate winner.

GimmeWork, londonrain, funkyg and 5 others like this.
  13. Thank goodness Stay has never won a Rate, but poor Summer Son!!

DJHazey and idratherjack like this.
  14. I just checked, as my two remaining 12s are exactly the kind of songs I'd see getting multiple 12s but not making it super far, but thankfully neither of them are rate winners dd

berserkboi, londonrain and DJHazey like this.
  15. I think it's one of my 12's and I'm going to be PISSED.

16. It's not really the thread, but...

The benefits of breast self-examination have not been conclusively proven, e.g. this Evidence Based Practice bite for health professionals - https://journals.lww.com/ebp/Abstra...self_examinations_effective_screening.13.aspx

Are breast self-examinations effective screening tests for breast cancer?

Abstract
    Evidence-Based Answer

No. As a screening tool, breast self-examination (BSE) does not reduce breast cancer-related mortality (SOR: A, systematic review of high-quality RCTs). In addition, BSE is associated with increased risk of harm, including biopsy of benign breast lesions (SOR: A, systematic review of high-quality RCTs).

berserkboi and DJHazey like this.
  17. Yes, the one that looks like it cost $100 to make.

VanessaAmorosi.ultimatehairflick.ezgif.com-optimize.gif

berserkboi, londonrain and DJHazey like this.
  18. Knowing what you're remaining 12's are, you really thought any of them were leaving at #85???

You are losing points though, but not nearly 12 of them. You won't be as upset about it as certain will be this song and subsequently this artist's exit from the rate. (You'll see in the commentary below)

[​IMG]

15/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

Ace of Base | The Sign | 75 Points

12 | @iheartpoptarts, @Markus1981, @WowWowWowWow
    7 | @Daniel_O, @ohnoitisnathan
    6 | @GimmeWork
    5 | @girlsaloudjunkie
    3 | @Conan
    2 | @Dangerous Maknae, @Hazey's Mom, @Holly Something, @Music Is Death, @WhatKindOfKylie?
    1 | @idratherjack

Released | November 1, 1993

Genres | Techno-Reggae, Pop, Europop

Writers | Jonas Berggren

Producers | Joker, Denniz Pop, Douglas Carr

Peak Chart Performance | #1 in US, #2 in UK, #1 in AUS, CAN, DEN, FIN, GER, NZ, ESP (1993-1994)

Year End Charts | #1 in US, #11 in UK, #4 in NZ, #5 in AUS, #8 in CAN, #9 in AUT, #11 in GER, #17 in FRA

Legacy Charts | #11 on Billboard 1990s Chart, #65 on Billboard All-Time Chart

Top Certifications | Platinum in US, Platinum in GER, Gold in UK

12's Given | @WowWowWowWow | The start of my almost life-long love affair with Sweden? Could be me. Love this story about Ace of Base and their road to fame - would they have made it worldwide without the fateful intervention of a busted car tape deck? I'd like to think so but thankfully it all worked out fine. https://slate.com/culture/2015/10/d...-studios-the-man-who-invented-modern-pop.html

12's Given | @iheartpoptarts | This is the song of 90s summer—all sunshine and waterparks and popsicles. I want one. And a Super Soaker. And some of those stick-on earrings that are the only prize you can ever get if you’re not very good at Chuck E. Cheese.

Feared Winning Song | @Sprockrooster | I just feels like it is a damn shame we have all this talent in this rate and than a band with ties to neo-nazism wins. I mean it is 2021 for Christ's sake.

Feared Winning Song | @Auntie Beryl

Background and Facts | "The Sign," from the album of the same name in the US, tells the story of a man and a woman in a complicated relationship. Both of them wonder where their relationship is headed, and the man leaves for a while to ponder the problem. The answer to their problem is left to the listeners to decide on an ending.

In the video, we see this story in action. Ace Of Base singer Jenny Berggren plays the woman in question. The man is played by an unknown actor. He leaves Jenny for a moment and hands her a rose. Jenny seems to take an interest, however a light shines on Jenny and she leaves to the light, leaving the rose behind. The music video shows Jenny with her brother, Jonas, and her sister, Linn, and a friend, Ulf, telling the story about this relationship. The video ends with Linn finishing the song, Jenny clears a tear from her face, and an ankh appears.

This spent 14 weeks at #1 on Billboard's Pop Songs radio airplay chart, the most for any song to date.

This was the #1 song of 1994 according to Billboard magazine's year-end charts. It was also Arista Record's most successful Billboard chart single in the label's history, selling over nine million copies in America.

This was produced by Swedish hitmaker Denniz Pop from his Cheiron Studios in Stockholm, where many of America's hottest pop acts of the '90s were born. Pop's protege Max Martin wrote Scandinavian smashes for Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, and 'N Sync, but he caught his first glimpse of genius on "The Sign."

Martin recalled in an interview with Sweden's Di Weekend: "Dagge (Denniz Pop) dared to think big. He dared to think bigger than Sweden, he had a very unrestricted and free way of looking at things. I hadn't encountered that before. I might have read about such people, but I had never met anyone like that myself. The first day I sneaked into the studio, they were busy mixing 'The Sign' with Ace of Base. A song that would later become a number one hit in the US. The energy around that. To be so close to the fire."

Katy Perry acknowledged in a 2009 MTV news interview that the song, along with The Cardigans' "Lovefool", served as an inspiration for her recordings.

Rolling Stone placed the song at number 42 on their list of 50 Best Songs of the Nineties.

BuzzFeed listed the song at number 28 on their 2017 list of The 101 Greatest Dance Songs Of the '90s.

Billboard ranked it #65 on their 2018 All-Time Top 100 Songs, stated that it "led pop into a new era, putting Sweden on the map as a credible hitmaking hub, pushing electronic production closer to the forefront of popular music and helping ignite a collaborative approach to songwriting that has become an industry standard".​

19. The next few eliminations

Interestingly enough I would categorize them as 'spiritually' being very alike despite not being on the same radio station. They're at least distant relatives, try listening to them all back-to-back and you'll know what I mean.

None of them are from the radio stations that had eliminations today.

20. Rush Rush is just beautiful and Paula more than proved with this song, that you don't always need a big voice to pull of a perfect pop ballad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.