Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"] | Page 67 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. On the topic of covers ... Please allow me to introduce you to ... GLIESE

2. Very pleased that the Olive track made it this far, never expected that. But then, it sort of makes sense because it would have been a great Sugababes/MKS track!

Amber is certainly this rate’s Emma Bunton!

3. Just finished catching up with the last few eliminations, and based on that last hint I think maybe I shouldn't have, because I fear the "A" song might be my final 12...

On the bright side, I love how well Magia is doing, I certainly didn't expect it to have the most songs left at this point!

4. Except Emma Bunton's song was good.

DJHazey, 2014, Phonetics Girl and 7 others like this.
  5. i.e. Deservingly smashing, but everyone inexplicably complains a lot.

londonrain, DJHazey, Ezz and 3 others like this.
  6. Well, I had to. Somebody with actual skills should make it better though.
    29xp-meme-mobileMasterAt3x-v3.jpg

chanex, londonrain, DJHazey and 13 others like this.
  7. OK sooooo I’m not going to read too much into it but I make this cutesy graphic and within hours, a car catches fire right outside my apartment?! Damnit! The anti-Amber brigade is doing too much!!!

chanex, londonrain, DJHazey and 15 others like this.
  8. Life imitating art!

9. First things first, the long awaited next elimination for Magia 97.1 and the first TLC cut.

[​IMG]

13/21 Songs Remaining

[​IMG]

TLC | Creep | 100 Points

12 | @Cotton Park
    8 | @boombazookajoe, @marie_05, @TéléDex
    7 | @Epic Chocolat, @Lucy Honeychurch
    6 | @funkyg
    5 | @2014, @GimmeWork, @Phonetics Girl
    4 | @Holly Something, @Hurricane Drunk, @invertedbutterfly, @slaybellz
    2 | @Aester, @berserkboi, @iheartpoptarts, @londonrain, @m_dimitrov
    1 | @Dangerous Maknae, @phoenix123, @WhatKindOfKylie?

Released | Halloween, 1994

Genres | R&B

Writer and Producer | Dallas Austin

Peak Chart Performance | #1 in US, #6 in UK, #4 in NZ, #9 in IRE

Year End Charts | #3 in US (1995)

Legacy Charts | #21 on Billboard 1990s Chart, #172 on Billboard All-Time Chart

Top Certifications | Platinum in US, Silver in UK, Gold in CAN

Background and Other Facts
    | This uses a sample from Slick Rick's 1988 song "Hey Young World."

This was written and produced by the Atlanta-based producer Dallas Austin. Though he had already made a name for himself working alongside producers like L.A. Reid and Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, "Creep" would be an important song for Austin because it proved he could write from a female perspective. Austin held onto the song for six months because he thought it might be too corny, but when he couldn't get it out of his head, he decided to record it.

The trio had mixed feelings about the adulterous relationship portrayed in the lyrics. Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins thought the subject was an important one. She told Billboard: "We thought that was a good relationship to talk about because a lot of people don't admit that's how they feel - that their man's playing on them and they want to be with him so they seek attention elsewhere, but they really want to be with their guy."

The song was inspired by a situation that T-Boz found herself in. "'Creep,' unfortunately, was one of my true stories," she told Billboard magazine with a laugh. "You're with a guy and he's not showing you attention, so another guy comes along and you're like, 'Hey, if you were where you were supposed to be, he couldn't be showing me attention right now!' I was in the middle of this drama, because the other guy was [my boyfriend's] friend, and my boyfriend was just not getting it together." T-Boz shared her personal state of affairs with Dallas Austin, whom she grew up with in Atlanta, and Austin in turn penned "Creep."

But Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes didn't like the idea and refused to contribute a rap to the song. Austin remembered: "The reason there's not a rap on it is because Lisa said, 'Dallas, I don't want this to offend people personally. I don't want it to interfere with my relationships. If he thinks I'm doing this, it's going to cause problems and I'm making a record out of it.'"

Left Eye also didn't believe in an eye-for-an-eye when it came to cheating. She threatened to protest the single by wearing black tape over her mouth in the video. The music video shows the group hanging out in their pajamas while T-Boz gets friendly with a trumpet player (played by former Janet Jackson dancer Omar Lopez). Two other videos were made, but went unreleased, including one that follows Chilli and T-Boz cheating on their boyfriends while Left Eye dances by herself. "We didn't like them; scrapped them and started again. ... We were like, 'If we come back out, we need to make a statement,'" T-Boz recalled to The Associated Press. "It wasn't strong." It was only when the group watched the video for Salt-N-Pepa and En Vogue's "Whatta Man" that they realized the direction they should go for in the clip. "Lisa turned (around) ... and I remember her going, 'That's what it should look like it,'" recalled T-Boz. "And then we were like, 'Yeah!' It just came together and it was like we evolved into these women instead of these little girls. We had a little more sex appeal."

This won a Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals in 1996. It was also nominated for Best R&B Song but lost to Stevie Wonder's "For Your Love."

Mimi Valdés of Vibe said that the song lifted their "girl power movement" to new heights, with its female-empowerment theme inspiring works by many artists at the time, including Aaliyah, Missy Elliott, and Destiny's Child. The term "creep" still appears in rap music. As with many TLC songs, "Creep" positioned women as the gazers and men as their objects.

Many publications considered the video "iconic" and "classic". David Asante of MOBO Awards' blog called it "one of the most celebrated pop videos of all time". Daniel Ralston, host of MTV's Videohead podcast said Rolston flipped the "paradigm" on "Creep", "Whatta Man" and many of his works, where the women were in control and men were shown in a way that women were often depicted in male artists' videos. Idolator's Robbie Daw found the women comfortable with their own sexuality in the clip and said "What girl in the mid-90s did not want to emulate that?". Lindsay Zoladz, a writer of Pitchfork, observed when most people think of TLC, their brains immediately go to the sounds and images of CrazySexyCool—"Waterfalls", "Red Light Special" and the silk pajamas in "Creep".

Mickey Hess wrote in his book Icons of Hip Hop: An Encyclopedia of the Movement, Music, and Culture, Volume 2, "TLC celebrates women and encourages them to love men and demand respect from their men and from themselves."

Bruce Pollock listed the song in his book Rock Song Index: The 7500 Most Important Songs for the Rock and Roll Era (2005) for "establishing the sound of chick hop".

Pitchfork listed it at number 114 on its top 200 of 90's best tracks list. Spin listed it #3 on their Top 20 Singles of the 1990s' list. Billboard ranked it at #2 on their "100 Greatest Girl Group Songs of All Time: Critics' Picks" list.
    TLC performed this on Saturday Night Live on the May 6, 1995 episode hosted by Bob Saget.

This was used in the 1995 movie Waiting to Exhale, starring Whitney Houston, Angela Bassett, Loretta Devine, and Lela Rochon.

Songs We Could've Rated | @Aester and @MilesAngel | Moloko | Sing It Back

10. Creep, is 90s R&B at it's best. Glad it got this far at least and achieved an solid 100 points too.

11. I really thought Unpretty would be the first TLC song eliminated. I think I've mentioned this before but it doesn't really seem as big a classic as the other three, to me at least.

12. Unpretty is catchy, but yes, I agree it doesn't feel as big as the other 3 TLC songs here.

13. I like Unpretty way more than I like Creep nn.

14. No TLC should be leaving yet smh

15. No TLC song should have been eliminated yet, but the fact that it was Creep and not Unpretty is pretty rancid.

Cotton Park, Aester, DJHazey and 2 others like this.
  16. Unpretty is actually the TLC song I gave points to. But I do like Creep. I sing the chorus all the time.

Cotton Park, slaybellz and DJHazey like this.
  17. 'Sing It Back' would have got 8 or 10 points from me. Nice to see @Aester also choosing it.

I voted for 'Sing It Back' in the Last Chance Qualifier Poll, when we were deciding the songlist for this rate in the 'Women Of The 80's' thread, where it got 3 votes. Maria McKee's 'Show Me Heaven' also got 3 votes.
    They were the first two songs to not make the cut.

Aester, DJHazey and soratami like this.
  18. Interesting...those two aren't the TLC songs I gave points nor the one that was also close to getting points from me.

19. Okay if we're eliminating this 'A' song, I'm doing it at the top of the next page at least. Someone post once more while I'm finishing it up.

20. A-RIE-ENNE!!!!!111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.