Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"] | Page 88 | The Popjustice Forum

Women of the 90s | Countdown | Winner Revealed ["It should win the Best Video Award"]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Both such gorgeous and timeless songs!!

2. Not gonna lie, nice not to be saying goodbye today to any of my faves.

3. Whatttttt????

4. I'm always shocked when you and @idratherjack don't give points to the same song, I had to double-check to make I read my spreadsheet correctly when that wasn't the case dd.

5. If another song from my station has to go, Stay is clearly not in the same league as the others. That's sincerely Ciara etc

DJHazey and soratami like this.
  6. Parce que c’est la meilleure qu’il reste?

7. [​IMG]

DJHazey and Untouchable Ace like this.
  8. Great minds don't always think alike then!

DJHazey and Untouchable Ace like this.
  9. Yes 'Stay' is in a higher league to the rest ('Frozen' can sit with it)

Ezz, sfmartin, DJHazey and 3 others like this.
  10. I think everybody knew which song would finish number #1 for this radio station, so now that it's down to two songs it's time to drop the 2nd place finisher.

Spice Girls wins.

[​IMG]

1/21 Songs Remaining

#31 (tie)

[​IMG]

Roxette | It Must Have Been Love | 135 Points (+1 to #33, +11 to "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" at #37)

12 | @Epic Chocolat, @phoenix123
    10 | @berserkboi, @chanex, @DominoDancing
    8 | @Hazey's Mom, @sfmartin
    7 | @Aester
    6 | @Filippa, @Hurricane Drunk, @iheartpoptarts, @pop3blow2
    5 | @WowWowWowWow
    4 | @Cotton Park, @Daniel_O, @girlsaloudjunkie, @MilesAngel, @TéléDex, @unnameable
    3 | @invertedbutterfly
    1 | @Lucy Honeychurch, @torontodj

Released | May 20, 1990

Genres | Pop

Writers | Per Gessle

Producers | Clarence Öfwerman

Peak Chart Performance | #1 in US, #3 in UK, #1 in AUS/CAN/DEN/NOR/POL/ESP/SUI/ZIM, #2 in NED/NZ, #3 in AUT/BEL, #4 in GER, #5 in IRL, #6 in SWE, #7 in FIN

Year End Charts | #2 in US, #14 in UK, #4 in AUS/NED, #5 in SUI, #8 in NZ, #10 in AUT, #11 in CAN, #14 in BEL, #15 in GER

Legacy Charts | #208 on Billboard All-Time Chart

Top Certifications | Gold in US, Gold in UK, Gold in GER

12 Commentary | @Epic Chocolat | Perfect 20/20, I always loved this song.

Background and Other Facts | This song was written by Roxette's instrumentalist Per Gessle. In a March 2011 interview with the London commuter freesheet Metro, he was asked how many times Roxette had performed "It Must Have Been Love," to which he replied: "We've done it at every show, so it's been hundreds of times. We don't need to rehearse it, put it that way. It's the same with "Listen to Your Heart or "The Look" – when you stand there in front of 10,000 who love it, it's an amazing feeling." Asked further, "Have you heard your songs in any unlikely places?," he said of the same song: "I was in Siberia the other day and heard a balalaikan version of 'It Must Have Been Love.'"

Originally called "It Must Have Been Love (Christmas For The Broken Hearted)," the song was released as a single backed by "Turn to Me." At the time, Roxette was doing promotion in Germany and was having a hard time getting on the radio because they fell between the Top 40 and rock formats. EMI's German division suggested the duo record a Christmas tune to try to get some airplay, so Gessle got to work writing a holiday ballad. It still didn't make German radio (at least not the original version; the re-release hit #4) but became a big hit in the duo's native Sweden in 1987.

Recorded before Roxette started working on their Joyride album, "It Must Have Been Love" was reworked for the movie Pretty Woman.. The movie was an enormous hit, and so was the soundtrack, which also featured "King of Wishful Thinking" by Go West. Released in March 1990, Pretty Woman developed a huge following, which helped send this song to the top of the US Hot 100 in June, where it stayed for two weeks. For the Pretty Woman version, Gessle kept most of Marie Fredrikkson's original vocals but cut out the Christmas sounds at the beginning of the song. He also changed the lyric "a hard Christmas day" to "a hard winter's day."

According to Gessle, Pretty Woman director Garry Marshall loved the song so much he re-edited the movie so he could showcase it in a scene without dialogue. Still, Gessle, who had never had a song placed in a film before, was initially disappointed when only about a minute of it was used. He told Billboard he thought, "Everything is going to circle around my song." But there were no complaints when the movie and song became instant hits. "Nobody expected the movie to become such a smash and for us it was, of course, a jackpot," he told Songwriter Universe in 2018.

English singer Megan McKenna recorded a version with the original Christmas title that charted in UK in 2019.

Dave Sholin from the Gavin Report wrote, "Per and Marie are on target again. Per Gessle continues to demonstrate his uncanny ability to compose exceptional pop melodies and Marie Fredrickson makes the words and music jump through the speakers. Though timed to coincide with the release of the Julia Roberts/Richard Gere film Pretty Woman, this tune from the soundtrack could easily stand on its own. Interest in the movie only gives it that much more of a boost."

Liverpool Echo wrote, "It's a ballad, it's big in America, but it's not as heavy-handed as the usual US success. Funnily enough, there even seems to be a bit of an ABBA influence in there."

Refinery29 included it at number 39 on their list of The Saddest Breakup Songs of All Time, saying the track "represents the perfect ratio of schlock to sentiment. In someone like Celine Dion's hands, this would have been a complete disaster, but the Swedish duo gaze off to 'where the water flows' and 'where the wind blows' without sounding like '90s Disney characters."

The other half of our tie at #31?

Fasten your seatbelts because in my estimation, this is the biggest shock elimination yet!​

11. Wait, what, what?

12. I didn't expect a write-up from the Liverpool Echo, those purveyors of musical taste, to be included ddd

She's cute but could've gone a while back too

rav4boy, unnameable and DJHazey like this.
  13. I know a ballad is excellent when it makes the top half of @iheartpoptarts ’ ballot - heck this is technically Top Quarter Of her ballot! Legendary!!

14. I feared I put her 6 points to the wrong song when I came back to it for the reveal.

15. The shade... girl he sang lead on their two other biggest hits!

16. Sorry not have the best of knowledge of the band, figured Marie was the vocalist.

17. No need to apologise, she was more prominent vocally on most tracks and was amazing. Most people forget he sang The Look and Joyride.

18. Give me another page while I type this up, please!

19. It Must Have Been Love - 4. Roxette are one of the only acts whose ballads I love. Per always writes beautiful melodies and puts an interesting twist on his lyrics. Marie's voice is soulful and heartfelt, and she makes me feel every word. It Must Have Been Love is still one of the greatest movie tie-in songs. R.I.P. Marie

My favourite Roxette ballad is 'Wish I Could Fly' from 1999.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.