Wonderful Electric: Goldfrapp Singles Rate. GRAND FINALE TONIGHT: THE TOP TWO!

96862384_HEADER.png

Hello Popjustice. You might know this band. Goldfrapp are an electronic-trip-hop-dream-pop-dance-synth-glam-electroclash-folk duo formed by Alison Goldfrapp (hence the name) and Will Gregory. Alison is known for her heavenly voice, stunning legs and for being a moody cow sometimes, for which we love her. Will is more of a behind-the-scenes guy, providing musical backing and lurking in the shadows.

Alison and Will met each other in 1999 and hit it right off, boding over their mutual love for film scores. Their debut album, Felt Mountain, was released in 2000, instantly receiving critical acclaim. Its cinematic combination of lush, chamber-esque soundscapes, delicate trip-hop and Alison's gorgeous vocals earned the album a place on the Mercury Prize shortlist. The general public wasn't ready for their music just yet, but fortunately it didn't stop them from releasing a follow-up in 2003.

Black Cherry was a complete U-turn for the band. The subtle seductiveness of their debut was replaced with pulsing electronic beats, dirty bass and electroclash-y synth stabs. Alison's look changed too - adopting the BDSM Ice Queen persona she became much more liberated on stage and in her music, making horse tails out of wigs and dildos and indulging in questionable lewd acts with theremins. Overall this era was much more successful than their first one, producing 4 Top 40 singles, with their parent album peaking at #19 in the UK Albums Chart.

It seemed like they've reached their peak with Black Cherry, until they returned with a bang two years later. Supernature turned out to be their biggest success, peaking at #2 in the album charts and producing a Top 5 single along the way. This album marked their further venture into commercial pop-music, although drawing inspiration from 70s glam rock and disco.

So, how do you follow up your most successful and well-known album? Apparently by making a folk record. While not being completely folk, Seventh Tree is a dramatic departure from their Supernature sound. Alison felt that at some point the visuals started to overshadow the music, so she and Will deliberately set out to make a stripped-down album. This time they went for a 60s psychedelic / baroque Pop vibe, being inspired by paganism and surreal English children's books. While its singles were not as successful as Supernature's, the album still managed a #2 peak in the album charts and received critical acclaim.

Their final (to date) album - Head First - was released in 2010. The duo themselves seem to somewhat disown this album now, citing label pressure as one of the reason. Nevertheless, this album saw Will and Alison exploring the 80s disco and synth pop, and while all of its 3 singles pretty much flopped, it still peaked at #6.

Last year saw the release of their first Greatest Hits compilation called The Singles. Despite some strange ommissions and the lousy promo campaign, it shows just how strong their back catalogue is. And while the new album is in works (and, judging by Alison's twitter, perhaps we will hear something about it while this rate is still going) it's the perfect time to revisit (or discover!) all their singles and remind ourselves how unbelievably fucking amazing these two are.

So. Below is the list of 20 singles, which you must rate out of 10. I know it's tempting to give all these amazing songs 10s, but let's refrain from doing that. Also, I heard that Alison comes to your house and kills you if you give any of these songs a zero, but I don't know it that's actually true (it is):

Lovely Head
Utopia
Human
Pilots (On a Star)
Train
Strict Machine
Twist
Black Cherry
Ooh La La
Number 1
Ride a White Horse
Fly Me Away
A&E
Happiness
Caravan Girl
Clowns
Rocket
Alive
Believer
Melancholy Sky

PM me your scores. The voting will be open until next Sunday, Febuary 10 at 6 PM GTM.

Cheers!

okIEjdnGWkU.jpg

Last edited:
I

invertedbutterfly

Re: Wonderful Electric: Goldfrapp Singles Rate. VOTING IS NOW OPEN

Ossum. Must find time to vote in both the Cher rate and this one... Very exciting - thanks D_ni!

I'm as excited for this as you guys are! By the way, what is the general consensus regarding Yellow Halo and Satin Boys / Flaming Chic? I'm fairly sure I was right about ommiting the latter, but I have doubts about the former. But while it got a video and Melancholy Sky didn't, I've never seen it mentioned as an actual single. What do y'all think?

I always considered 'Yellow Halo' as the true single from the greatest hits, for some reason.*

*Because it's incredible.

D

Deleted member 2720

This will be the first rate I have ever bothered to vote in. Brilliant!

F

Fertilizer

Should we judge just the song, or the video and performances too?

This will be the first rate I have ever bothered to vote in. Brilliant!

Same here!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, one of my favorite bands of all time!

I'll be on this though I don't know quite a few.

M

moorje

Amazing. I had to be really objective and not give everything a 10. In the end only two got full marks as I had to think which ones are the best of the best.

F

Fertilizer

I gave Utopia, Black Cherry, Clowns, Rocket and Alive 10/10.