Would you lovely people help me with my A Level coursework? | The Popjustice Forum

Would you lovely people help me with my A Level coursework?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ADolla, Mar 29, 2009.

1. How wonderful of you.
    Basically I'm investigating the socio-linguistics (how people talk to each other) specifically of text messaging. A secondary area of the investigation is a questionnaire I'm trying to get out to as broad a range of people as possible. Below are the questions, and it would be truly marvellous if you could reply to the post with your answers. If you feel uncomfortable doing it this way, I'd be more then happy for you to PM me.

Thank you so much in advance!

Please circle the appropriate answer.
    Which age bracket do you fall into?

10-19 20-29 30-39 40-59 60+

Please identify your gender.

Male Female

How often, if ever, do you use ‘smileys’ to convey emotion in your text messages? (:), :(, :@, etc.)

Never Rarely Occasionally Quite often

Please identify the texting habits which are most appropriate to yourself.

I use the T9 dictionary to ‘predict’ the text, and rarely use abbreviations.
    I use the T9 dictionary to ‘predict’ the text, yet sometimes use abbreviations.
    I type each letter myself, and rarely use abbreviations.
    I type each letter myself, yet sometimes use abbreviations.
    Other:……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Do you use ‘kisses’ or similar signs of affection within/to end texts? If so, how frequently?
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Do you use standard punctuation and correct spelling in text? If not, why not?
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Thank you for your time.

2. Please circle the appropriate answer.

Male Female

How often, if ever, do you use ‘smileys’ to convey emotion in your text messages? (, :(, :@, etc.)

Do you use ‘kisses’ or similar signs of affection within/to end texts? If so, how frequently?
    No

Mostly yes other than some abbreviations.

3. YES I WOULD LIKE TO.

1. 20 - 29

2. Male.

3. Rarely.

4. I use the T9 dictionary to ‘predict’ the text, and rarely use abbreviations.

5. Kisses frequently, on about 8 out of 10 texts.

6. Punctuation and spelling is key. I would rather spend money on sending two texts than use terrible text speak and fit it all in one.

YOU ARE WELCOME.

4. How can I circle it? *sad face*

Which age bracket do you fall into? 20-29

Please identify your gender. Male

How often, if ever, do you use ‘smileys’ to convey emotion in your text messages? (, :(, :@, etc.) Quite often

Please identify the texting habits which are most appropriate to yourself. I use the T9 dictionary to ‘predict’ the text, and rarely use abbreviations. (obv doesnt count as it is a word in itself)

Do you use ‘kisses’ or similar signs of affection within/to end texts? If so, how frequently? Quite often.

Do you use standard punctuation and correct spelling in text? I do indeed!

5. Charley

Charley Staff Member

Male Female

How often, if ever, do you use ‘smileys’ to convey emotion in your text messages? (, :(, :@, etc.)

Other:

Yes. Something simple like an 'x', just as a standard way of ending the text.

If possible yes. Depends on how much space is left in the text / if the 'overflow' is big enough to justify an extra text.

6. Which age bracket do you fall into?

Male Female

Other:……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Rarely add kisses.

Yes I do. It's there for a reason.

7. Which age bracket do you fall into?

Male Female

Other

Yes but not that often

I do!

8. I hope it's okay if I take part even though I'm German?

Male Female

Never

Yes, especially now that I have 150 free text messages.

9. Charley

Charley Staff Member

Ah yes, I'm Belgian if that matters!

10. 10-19 20-29 30-39 40-59 60+

Male Female

Usually end text messages with a single "x".

Yes.

12. Which age bracket do you fall into?

Male Female

Other: -

Yes, only with female friends though. So 80% of the time.

Yes.

13. Please circle the appropriate answer.

Male Female

Yes - Frequently

Yes

14. Which age bracket do you fall into?

(I only just fall into this age bracket, don't start making me feel old!)

Male Female

Now and again. Every few texts or so, depends on the person of course.

To a certain extent yes.

15. Which age bracket do you fall into?

Male Female

Yes, I put an 'x' quite a lot.

Yes I do.

16. SBK

SBK

Male Female

Other

Yes, fairly often.

Yes, my new phone doesn't like abbreviations, hense my love for it.

Thank you for your time.

18. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

NP. TTYL KK? xx

19. Which age bracket do you fall into?

Male Female

Other:

Well, i have an iPhone and that has a kind of predictive setting but generally because it has a full keyboard you just type the word as you would on a computer. But yeah, i do use abbreviations sometimes too.

Pretty much almost always put a couple of kisses on the end of texts to my mates

Yeah, pretty much stick to standard punctuation and spelling in texts without thinking about it

20. Charley

Charley Staff Member

These results are quite interesting, aren't they? Considering the 'nature' of this board (Proper sentences, no smileys...) I don't think this board is entirely representative for the 'general population'. You should definitely balance it out by asking a group of people that are more likely to be on the other end of the spectrum or your results will be swayed in one way too much in comparison to the 'general' public.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.