Writing General Discussion & Critique | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Writing General Discussion & Critique

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rainbow Trousers, Mar 26, 2015.

1. You'll make more money doing it yourself. One of my friends has been traditionally published (as I have) for years and he decided to put out his own stuff via an imprint. He's selling more on his own than he ever did with the help of traditional publishing, much to the annoyance of his agent. Also, the publishing industry, like many others, is under siege and funding is a big problem right now. My new novel (my first for adults) was meant to be out yesterday and is now scheduled for October. With bookshops closed, it was the best thing to do. But you can literally stick your book online tomorrow and sell it. There's a lot of positives with self-publishing. A tip: if you want to keep your rights, Amazon KDP is supposedly a good route. They won't promote your book, but it will be your book and that's not something you always get from a traditional publisher.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    AstronautMikeDexter likes this.
  2. That's really helpful information. There's probably a list of pros and cons for each but I do think self-publishing might be the best route for me, especially since I write urban fantasy. My biggest concern is the marketing aspect. I imagine myself only selling, like, 20 books total and then feeling discouraged and not wanting to try anymore, so I've got to push through that. I'm trying to research marketing plans now and coming up with my own plan for when I release my book.

It'll be a lot of work but I'm looking forward to the adventure.

3. The book I had 'properly' published did ultimately sell more off the back of that springboard, but the differences weren't huge and of course various parties take their cut.

The problem with going the selfie route is paying for designs etc. out of your own pocket. Sometimes you get something great out of it, sometimes ...not so much, and that stuff can affect what people think. I used an edited photo on the cover of my last book to mimic a movie poster and several people thought I'd directed a film instead, then stated they "don't read books".

4. Hey

I've been writing a lot more over the last week or so and finally managed to get my website together and published.

If anyone fancies having a read through and let me know what you think it would be appreciated.

www.anorthernerexplores.com

5. Oo I didn't know we had a writing thread.
    I have been a poet for 15 years. My goal at the moment is to combine my love for poetry with my love for drag. Doing poetry at a drag show though is... a choice. So once the pandemic stops putting a wrench in my plans, I really want to do some open mic nights in Chicago if I can find any that are queer accepting and show up and read my writing in drag.

Here's one of my favorites I've written:

I could piece together all the times I've had my eyes closed. Every sleep, every sneeze. I could erase all the darkness in those split-second blinks, or hiding my eyes from horror movies. If I could string out all that time, I wonder what I could remember. If my eyelids hadn't stopped me, maybe I'd see that shooting star. Maybe our photograph would've turned out right. Maybe if I slept with my eyes open, my dreams would spill out from the iris in a flood of colors and drown my real life in its purples and blues. There'd be so much in my vision, but most importantly, there'd be more of you.

6. Didn't know this thread existed either. I've been writing stories and sharing stories online for years and I'm confident my writing's improved (and continues to do so). My ultimate goal is to write a novel that someone wants to publish, most likely in the YA fiction genre. When I'm finished with my current story my aim is to focus on that.

I'm really impressed that some of you guys here have been published through the traditional route. It's also quite an eye-opener to read the comments regarding traditional V self-publishing, although I know self-publishing is really lucrative for certain genres, like romance and fantasy. It's definitely not something I would rule out but I don't know how children's and YA fiction fare in that department.

7. Hi everyone. I have a question in regards to sending off manuscripts to agents. I know that I need to send some sample chapters, and some kind of cover letter, but what exactly needs to be in it?

I’ve seen some places say that there should be a synopsis of the book and then, separately, some kind of biography. I just want to check what is the usual done thing before I bombard agents with more stuff than they need.

8. I'm really only familiar with how agents in the US work, so I'm not sure if this is helpful. For one, each agency has different requirements. Some require only a query letter, some require a query letter plus sample pages, some require all that plus a synopsis. So, it's important to read what each agent wants exactly and only submit what is requested. This should be listed under submissions on the agency website.

As for the query letter itself, there are some samples online that may be helpful. I am terrible at writing query letters but I know you should generally include a hook and stakes for the character, genre/wordcount/title, and some agents like a little bio.

I looked at this site when I started writing mine.

It's definitely a different kind of writing than novel writing and I still haven't really gotten it right (possibly one reason why I can't get an agent!).

GodsAndMonsters likes this.
  9. Also, if there's a particular agent at the place who looks like they're best suited to what you're sending, address it personally to them and state that you read that it might be down their street, it shows you didn't just Xerox the same letter for 150 agencies.

GodsAndMonsters likes this.
  10. This is an amazing response, and just the kind of thing I was hoping for. Thank you so much. Currently shortlisting the agents who I feel are most suited to what I've written and yeah, they all have different requirements for what they want.

I know what you mean, I always feel like I'm terrible at writing cover letters and things like that. I don't know why I find it so difficult. But thank you so much again for all the advice.

Ah yes, that's a good idea. Have been looking through and writing down who I think would most like to read/represent what I've written. Thank you for the advice. Also, I love your blog and Twitter!

Hudweiser likes this.
  11. Ummm so like. How many pages do we think is good for a poetry book? I started working on mine, i've been writing for 15 years - I have over 100 poems. Obviously the years old ones are not good so I don't want to include too many of them. But if i'm doing front and back pages, 50 poems would be 25 pages and that seems like so short but 50 is SO many poems. Like. What... is... good?

12. Too kind!

I hate query letters too, I think everyone does. It takes me back to school lessons writing job applications and stuff - it just feels like you're begging, but the more you do, you kinda get a confidence about it. I only had a non-fiction agent who had zero interest in passing me over to their fiction department, which is annoying, but they're always talking about how busy there are. It's such a lottery.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.